G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2004 Coupe - what brake pads should i get for this setup?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brakes 2004 Coupe - what brake pads should i get for this setup?

Hey whats up folks

Been a few years that I have posted on here. I just have a quick question for my fellow G35 enthusiasts.

A few years ago a buddy of mine did body work on my car. The pizza boy dropping of my food- drove right into my back left area of bumper while he was making a U-Turn! Can u believe that **** lol.

Anyhow, while my friends body shop repaired my car, he installed all around Brembo Cross/Drilled rotors to match my Brembo Calipers for super cheap. He used Porterfield brake pads which lasted me a good year and a half before I even had to resurface the front rotors and put new pads in. I drive my car just to work and back- not really anymore spirited driving on the casual canyon ....reason why they lasted that long

It's been almost a year now since then and my car is now making weird sounds from the brakes...my friends father owns a auto shop and he told me i need to resurface the rotors ...while im at it im just going to get new pads. I never touched the rear's ...so its time to do all of them.

I am a everyday daily driver in LA traffic- you know how it goes! ****ty!

All i need is a good pair of pads to go with my Brembo Calipers and Rotors. Anything you guys recommend for my regular style of driving?

Most important- since money is tight ...do you know or recommend any place online or in the Los Angeles/Valley area that is resonably priced to buy from? Thanks!

Old 02-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Typically you shouldn't need to randomly resurface your rotors out of the blue. If you need to do that, you probably warped your rotors and are better off buying new ones.

You should only need to resurface when putting new pads on, since it helps cut down on noise and results in better pad life and performance.

If you daily drive your car and don't really require top of the line performance, you can try the Stillen Metal Matrix pads. They are really reasonably priced. Stillen is local to me and have always been great. I use the Mintex Pads they sell (much more expensive, but the performance is significant) along with slotted rotors. My car brakes very, very hard. I have an 04 6MT as well.

Another option is the Hawk Ceramics. They'll produce less dust too, which is nice.

If anything, I would suggest you avoid getting slotted rotors if you daily drive your car in traffic and don't do much serious performance driving, cause they'll just eat your pads.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
oem or hawk

Old 02-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Check out our MARKETPLACE under vendor brakes, get a set of HAWK HP pads they'll last close to triple the life of what you've been using and very little dust which we all appreciate.
Gary

Old 02-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Your Feedback is greatly appreciated! I am going to buy the hawk HP pads. Any particular place to order them for a good price?

"Typically you shouldn't need to randomly resurface your rotors out of the blue. If you need to do that, you probably warped your rotors and are better off buying new ones."-Revo

Do you recommend just getting now rotors then? The back ones have never been resurfaced. And its been about 2yrs since they were put on. The front ones have been resurfaced once about a year ago. But that's it...they seem to be wearing fairly well or is this quick wear?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by davemelo
Thanks for the info guys. Your Feedback is greatly appreciated! I am going to buy the hawk HP pads. Any particular place to order them for a good price?

"Typically you shouldn't need to randomly resurface your rotors out of the blue. If you need to do that, you probably warped your rotors and are better off buying new ones."-Revo

Do you recommend just getting now rotors then? The back ones have never been resurfaced. And its been about 2yrs since they were put on. The front ones have been resurfaced once about a year ago. But that's it...they seem to be wearing fairly well or is this quick wear?
Again, like I said, the only time you should need to resurface a rotor is when putting on new pads. You shouldn't have to resurface a rotor half way through a pad's life.

At any rate, if you do put new pads on and are keeping the same rotors, you should resurface.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would get the Akebono Pro ACT Ceramic pads before I bought the hawk pads, they seem to suck on our platform. Ask any G35-brembo owner after they switched from Hawks to brand-X and almost all of them liked the new brand better. The Hawks give up a lot of performance just to have lower dust levels and they are overpriced and outdated.

I suggest the following:
Duralast Gold pads and rotors if you want to be cheap (from autozone).
Centric premium blank faced rotors if you want something a lot better.
Akebono Pro ACT ceramic pads or EBC green/yellow pads or StopTech Street Performance pads (these are some of the best bang for buck pads on the market).
Don't forget to change/bleed your brake fluid, you have an 04 coupe, so if it hasnt been done before it is definitely due! Go with a DOT-4 synthetic and have your clutch bled at the same time with the same brake fluid.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the input fellas, good stuff

idrive_MD= I found the Akebono Pro ACT ceramic on tirerack for $43 !... not bad comparing them to the hawk pads that are $70.

I will order the Akebono's and get my Brembo Cross/Drilled rotors resurfaced. I hope that these two work well together .... For the price, cant beat it! Thanks
- quick question- whats the difference between the PRO ACT and the street version? Have any experience with those?....they are like $10 more than the pro act

I also will have them bleed my brake fluid and the clutch. Not to long ago, they did the transmission service changing all oils. Is there anything else you guys recommend to change...spark plugs, etc?

My motor runs strong, she just sucks lots of oil. I have 110,000 miles on her. At 56k she got a new motor because she was consuming way to much. The new one still sucks lots but not nearly as much like before. She consumes about 1quart every oil change with regular oil at every 3,000 miles. If i give her synthetic...she will burn 2-3 quarts every 3k miles...weird i know.

Last edited by davemelo; 02-08-2011 at 03:55 PM.