G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Went 2 the Stealership..R these necessary?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Went 2 the Stealership..R these necessary?

I have a 04 G coupe with around 71000K miles. Both it used around 65K. Got a oil change today and got like a list of things that they recommended.

Now I'm not to car/engine savy, but know enough that the stealership tends to overprice on services. Esp. when labor here is 115.00 an hr.

Heres what they said.

1.60K service. 4 YR Service due to Mileage. FLUIDS DARK, FILTERS DIRTY, BELTS WEATHERED. - $860.00
(this is basically a 30K, 60K, 90k SERVICE. There was a whole bunch listed things they would service.)

2. VALVE COVER GASKET REPLACEMENT DUE TO GASKET LEAKING OIL. - $400.00

3. FUEL INJECTION / DECARBON SERVICE DUE TO 10% ETHANOL - $170.00

4. POWER STEERING SYSTEM FLUSH DUE TO FLUID CONDITION - $105.00

5. FRONT COMPRESSION ROD BUSHING DUE TO BUSHING TORN - $325.00

anyway I could save money and work these problem on a less budget? also is the stealership trying to bend me over and rape me?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Service items make sense considering the age and mileage of the car, but you can get some of it done elsewhere for less.

1. Find out specifically which fluids and filters they recommend replacing. If it's a 5AT and the tranny fluid is dark, yes you should change it. If it's a 6MT and gear oil and clutch fluid look dark, yes you should change them. If the diff fluid is dark, change it. If the accessory belts haven't been changed and look bad, then change them. Air filter and cabin filter are cheap and you can do these yourself.

2. This is a known issue w/the valve cover gasket and unless you want fouled plugs you should get this fixed. The problem can be band-aided with sealant, but it's not a good long-term solution.

3. Probably worth it, but not a necessity. you can run some Techron through yourself if you don't want to do this.

4. There is no specified service interval for power steering fluid in the service manual, but might be worth it if you're experiencing steering issues.

5. Yes, you should do this, but if it's just for one side then that quote sounds a bit high. you might be able to get it done a bit cheaper by just buying new bushings and having a local mechanic with a press install them, but there's obviously additional time and effort you'll need to spend bringing it to two places.

I would ask them to see if they can give you a better package price for everything. Dealers will negotiate, especially if you're a good customer.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
With the mileage on your G you probably need to have everything on the list done. But that doesn't mean you need to have Infiniti do the work, any good mechanic can replace all your fluids/filters for 1/3d of the price you were quoted. I'd have all fluids replaced, differential/trans/oil/power stearing and radiator too. If you don't see any fluid under your G when it's parked over night I'd forget the valve cover gasket. The compression rod should be taken care of but the fluids are more important!
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 02-09-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
The compression rod bushing should be replaced for free since Infiniti did issue a revised set since the original were CRAP to begin with. But since it isn't you need to do all this stuff at a local garage shop you trust.

Find an independent Nissan shop. The 'revised' compression rod bushings can be bought on ebay for about 25 bucks each.

You can save up to 30% by taking it to an independent shop. The valvecover at your mileage should be replaced. And they cost $175 each. How stupid of Nissan to make them plastic instead of metal right?

Old 02-10-2011, 01:57 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Agree with others about going to an independant shop. Most of this stuff is close to DIY level work and the dealership is waaaaaay overpriced. Plus, a lot of these 30,60,90 services are mostly "inspect" type items. The list looks impressive at first until you notice things like "Check Floormat Alignment", "Check Mirror Adjustment Speed" and "Inspect Windshield". All fluff. Lots of money.

Once the warranty is over I don't set foot in a dealership unless I know they have competative service prices. That does not include any Nissan or Infiniti dealerships.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
The compression rod bushing should be replaced for free since Infiniti did issue a revised set since the original were CRAP to begin with. But since it isn't you need to do all this stuff at a local garage shop you trust.

Find an independent Nissan shop. The 'revised' compression rod bushings can be bought on ebay for about 25 bucks each.

You can save up to 30% by taking it to an independent shop. The valvecover at your mileage should be replaced. And they cost $175 each. How stupid of Nissan to make them plastic instead of metal right?
Would the dealership let me know that its a service recall or something?

Old 02-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by illmatic35
Would the dealership let me know that its a service recall or something?
No, it was never a recall item. Just a TSB. My rantings just said it should be free because the original were crap to begin with.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
You can always try the Nissan dealership. We have the same engine and it could be a little bit cheaper. That's what i do.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
You can always try the Nissan dealership. We have the same engine and it could be a little bit cheaper. That's what i do.
+1...heck of a lot cheaper.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would get the 60k given the age of the vehicle, but $860 *UCK!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea try nissan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.