G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

To Shift, Or Not to Shift?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my G was my first MT that i'd ever gotten. i loved it. i wish i could have it again. i honestly think there are more people that have gotten an auto instead of the 6MT and regretted it than vise versa. to be honest, i think auto is pretty lame, the only auto cars i drive is when i borrow my moms car. because even all of my friends drive stick shift. i really don't see why you're debating so much on which to get.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Inter_America
because even all of my friends drive stick shift.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

HAHAHA

Anyways. Drive both. I got a 5AT and don't regret it at all, having never owned an automatic car before it. 5AT + VB upgrade > 6MT, plus you can eat and drive, talk on the phone and drive without having to shift, or slap it in sport mode and go ***** nilly. You can still do donuts with it, you can still drift (somewhat) with it. But I suggest you TEST DRIVE BOTH OF THEM. Don't make a decision by what we say. Drive them both and buy which ever one you like driving more.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by NachoCheese
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

HAHAHA

Anyways. Drive both. I got a 5AT and don't regret it at all, having never owned an automatic car before it. 5AT + VB upgrade > 6MT, plus you can eat and drive, talk on the phone and drive without having to shift, or slap it in sport mode and go ***** nilly. You can still do donuts with it, you can still drift (somewhat) with it. But I suggest you TEST DRIVE BOTH OF THEM. Don't make a decision by what we say. Drive them both and buy which ever one you like driving more.
You know that repeated lol you typed in all caps? I just had that 100X worse when I read "5AT + VB upgrade > 6MT"

What kind of crack are you smoking cause I think the world would be a better place if you could share.

Doesn't matter how quickly a 5AT shifts it'll always have one less gear than a 6MT, and it'll take a lot of mods to overcome that.

Stock for stock, no 5AT (VB ugprade or not) has a chance to beat a 6MT with a driver that can remotely shift...

Old 02-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Remind me where I talked about an AT vs MT in a race? Wait, I didn't? Way to read my post, buddy.

On top of that, he asked if anyone regretted not getting an MT, which I gave him my story, and my advice.

But it's true AT is faster than MT. I want to know where you get your crack Revo.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:05 PM
But it's true AT is faster than MT. I want to know where you get your crack Revo.
You're joking me right? I've ridden in a 5AT G Coupe and I was like "seriously, this has the same engine as my car?"

Old 02-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Super serious, bro.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Yeah, all this discussion about 6MT vs 5AT
no one mentioned the oil consumption problem that ive seen on threads that the 6MT G's seem to have. im looking for some G goupes and im kind of steering away from getting a manual because of the OC problem. Ive always wanted a standard car, the car i had previously was a BMW 8 series, auto. it was quick, but i always wished it was standard.
But have any of you guys had OC problems on your 6MT G's?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So to reitterate in a nut shell...

Buy the Auto if...
-You like having a free hand to eat, talk on the phone, change radio stations or cds, "touch or grab" things, etc.
-You don't want to have to worry about Oil Consumption or the extra maintenance of potential clutch related problems.

Buy the manual if...
-You plan on going to the track alot.
-You don't mind the extra maintenance of a clutch and related problems.
-You feel the need to fit in and "be cool"
-Or... if Manuals Are your thing.

As anyone can see it's simply impossible to be as cool as Revo up there if you drive an auto. Nevermind the fact that it's essentially the same car and only under extreme driving (be it on the track or like a dumb *** and on the highway) will you notice any difference. Buy what you feel most comfortable with... if daily driving involves alot of stop and go, then I'd highly recommend an auto. If the car isn't a daily driver and is going to be more of a weekend/track car, then go for the manual. You can't go wrong with either choice, and only dip****s make fun of someone because they drive one style of car over another.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Before this turns in to a MT vs AT thread...

Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a manual and wished that i got an auto, but than again when i had an auto i wanted a manual.. i can never make up my mind

Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aferrada
6mt. do you really want an automatic g35? youll regret getting an auto. well thats in my opinion. ive only owned manual trannys all my life. i bet the traffic where i live is a bit worse, if anyone knows what the 405, 91, 101, 110, 710, 60, and pretty much all others from 1-7 in la
I live in orange county and drive a 6mt. Sometimes my for goes numb from the traffic but its totally worth it

Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Only time i regret MT is in traffic but i suck it up and do what i gotz to do.

Originally Posted by richardcvan
i have a manual and wished that i got an auto, but than again when i had an auto i wanted a manual.. i can never make up my mind
Thats weird but stay on the dark side MT style

Old 02-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by TripleHBK
So to reitterate in a nut shell...

Buy the Auto if...
-You like having a free hand to eat, talk on the phone, change radio stations or cds, "touch or grab" things, etc.
-You don't want to have to worry about Oil Consumption or the extra maintenance of potential clutch related problems.

Buy the manual if...
-You plan on going to the track alot.
-You don't mind the extra maintenance of a clutch and related problems.
-You feel the need to fit in and "be cool"
-Or... if Manuals Are your thing.

As anyone can see it's simply impossible to be as cool as Revo up there if you drive an auto. Nevermind the fact that it's essentially the same car and only under extreme driving (be it on the track or like a dumb *** and on the highway) will you notice any difference. Buy what you feel most comfortable with... if daily driving involves alot of stop and go, then I'd highly recommend an auto. If the car isn't a daily driver and is going to be more of a weekend/track car, then go for the manual. You can't go wrong with either choice, and only dip****s make fun of someone because they drive one style of car over another.
I'm not making fun of anyone for having an auto. An auto definitely has its advantages in being more convenient.

I'm simply stating that the manual is faster, and that's an irrefutable FACT. Anyone who states otherwise (I'm talking STOCK FOR STOCK), is a FOOL.

If you know how to drive a manual you won't be having "tons of issues." You'll need to replace the clutch as it wears like any item, yeah, but it comes with the territory.

By the way, I am able to easily change CD's, radio stations, talk on the phone, and eat, and I have a 6MT that I drive daily. The simple fact is, once you get moving on the highway (6th gear) you AREN'T SHIFTING. You act as if you're gonna constantly have that hand on the shifter.

Looks like you are trying to be "cool" coming in here and trying to drop a bottom line. Ok buddy.

@G35-4-Life:

Oil consumption issue isn't really "cause it's a manual." The oil consumption issues are only for the "Rev-up" engines, which are only offered in the MT's. But some of the earlier model G Coupes have a regular DE which is identical to the automatic's motor except it's rated a little higher (doubt actual output is any different).

Old 02-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Revo is pissed that hit MT stock is slower than a stock AT

Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Revo is pissed that hit MT stock is slower than a stock AT
lol right...

Auto has intake, exhaust, spacer.

Manual has only exhaust.

Wow what was that? Auto losing by 3-4 car lengths on just an 1/8 mile?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To Shift, Or Not to Shift?