G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

To Shift, Or Not to Shift?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
automatics are just boring. i cant stand driving them. unless you're physically not able to drive one, or just a moron and cant grasp the concept on how to drive one......get an automatic. and plus, they're just more fun to drive. you can feel the power in whatever gear you like however you like. you have control.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love all the hate and misinformation about people who drive automatics. Keep it coming, kids.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you are in constant stop/go traffic day in and day out get 6MT. I know many would argue screw the traffic get one anyway but given i sit in traffic daily at least on the way home it is extremely annoying to clutch when I've had to before.

I have an AT and do enjoy it but do NOT let anyone tell you it will out perform a 6MT unless it has a lot of mods done to it (not the least of which is exhaust and transGo shift kit). 6MT will always outperform stock vs stock and even AT modded and MT stock for a bit.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
If you are planning to get a 6MT, I'd definitely go for an 04 over an 05. The 05 is basically an 04 with a rev-up, but no Brembo brakes. The 06 I can see cause it has the exterior facelift but honestly I'd take an 03-04 over any of the other ones any day of the week for the Brembo's.

The rev-up has more hp but less torque so eventually performance is similar.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
There are few feelings better than shifting from 2nd to 3rd on a cloverleaf in the summer, and they may or may not involve the other girl in your life.

Get a 6mt.

If you're not getting an 03 or 04, Get an 06 or 07, they seem to have less issues with oil consumption, and they have the best interior and headlights. Take your time looking, get one with less than 12k miles per year. It took me 3 months to find mine, but it was absolutely worth it.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look if you can find a good deal on a MT, I say go for it.
Personally, I have an AT and I love it. Bottom line is, your still gonna be driving a G and they are awesome cars. The eclipse that I owned before was manual and once you get it down it is pretty easy driving a stick shift. If I would have found a good deal in my area for a 6MT, I would have done it. But I don't regret my decision and am going to focus on visual mods rather than performance. I'll save my MT itch for my M3(currently saving up for it)

Old 02-28-2011, 02:46 AM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleHBK
Nevermind the fact that it's essentially the same car and only under extreme driving (be it on the track or like a dumb *** and on the highway) will you notice any difference. Buy what you feel most comfortable with... if daily driving involves alot of stop and go, then I'd highly recommend an auto. If the car isn't a daily driver and is going to be more of a weekend/track car, then go for the manual. You can't go wrong with either choice, and only dip****s make fun of someone because they drive one style of car over another.
X10000. On the mark. Look it up.

Originally Posted by Revo
lol right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1LUlYxVNfI

Auto has intake, exhaust, spacer.

Manual has only exhaust.

Wow what was that? Auto losing by 3-4 car lengths on just an 1/8 mile?
I will edit myself. Ignorance is bliss.

Originally Posted by NachoCheese
I love all the hate and misinformation about people who drive automatics. Keep it coming, kids.
X1000.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:25 AM
How much do the shift kits usually go for? Do they ever have problems?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have always ran a manual car. the g is my first auto car. i kinda regret not getting a 6mt but i still love my g. one thing you wanna look at to is the gearing in both cars. i have always wanted a 5 spd cause the gearing is alot better. a good example is the evo 8/9. i have driven both a 5spd and 6spd. when reacing you just shift to much in a 6 spd. gears are to short. this may not fully apply to the g. i would definitly get the shift kit to speed up the shifts in the auto. i think the 5at w/ kit would be better then a 6mt for the simple fact that it can hold the gear longer. but thats just me. if i could i would like to have a 5spd mt not a 6spd. another factor is what kind of racing you will be doing. drag/autox/road course

Last edited by lucid215; 02-28-2011 at 03:56 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
I will never buy an auto. There are misconceptions on both sides of this argument. Having a stick doesn't mean you're stuck shifting all day long, especially with our torquey motors. tbh this car is happy <2k and it is possible to run down town in 5th or even 6th gear.

The food/radio argument is ridiculous. The amount of mental power it takes to move your hand 6 inches even while shifting is not large. For those that it is tough for, I suggest not becoming a pilot.

Lol The only "issue" with a stick is when holding your girl's hand. Left hand shifting is key. Lets see someone pull that off with a chick stick.

Oh and @lucid. Short ratio transmissions were developed to make engine's power bands more accessible. Longer gears are difficult to use on more technical tracks, when bogging out 3rd can be an issue.

The issue 5ATs loose 15-20whp over 6mts is without a locking torque converter, its always spinning. This causes the feeling of a slower car with a 5at. Im not entirely sure but I think the g does have a locking tqc but only in certain modes and certain gears.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:58 AM
Originally Posted by NachoCheese
misinformation? you're the one that was bragging about the 5AT being faster than the 6MT and how your consecutive 16's on the 1/4 mile are "pretty fuggin fast" i honestly thought the autos were just as fast as the manuals. but nope, silly me

so....what you got on that bro?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:30 AM
The fact that the lot of you have been eating up everything I say, regardless or how wrong and nonfactual it all is, is funny. That's why I kept doing it. Since this is your first time on the internet, that's called a "troll". I bait you out with **** that is obviously false, and you guys get all worked up over it, lol. I know stock vs stock an MT will beat my car. I know all this other junk you guys have said. But it's too hard to pass up the opportunity to get you flustered and think that after owning my car for over a year, after mods, after all my posts, that I would believe anything I said, lol.

Massios, if you're holding your boyfriends hand and shifting with your left hand, I kind of am rooting on you getting in to a car accident. JS.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 AM
tl;dr

I'm stupid.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
^oh please, trolling a MT vs. AT conversation is the bottom of the pot. Might as well troll a baby by giving and taking its pacifier away

Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Massios
I will never buy an auto. There are misconceptions on both sides of this argument. Having a stick doesn't mean you're stuck shifting all day long, especially with our torquey motors. tbh this car is happy <2k and it is possible to run down town in 5th or even 6th gear.

The food/radio argument is ridiculous. The amount of mental power it takes to move your hand 6 inches even while shifting is not large. For those that it is tough for, I suggest not becoming a pilot.

Lol The only "issue" with a stick is when holding your girl's hand. Left hand shifting is key. Lets see someone pull that off with a chick stick.

Oh and @lucid. Short ratio transmissions were developed to make engine's power bands more accessible. Longer gears are difficult to use on more technical tracks, when bogging out 3rd can be an issue.

The issue 5ATs loose 15-20whp over 6mts is without a locking torque converter, its always spinning. This causes the feeling of a slower car with a 5at. Im not entirely sure but I think the g does have a locking tqc but only in certain modes and certain gears.
Okay, I think you need to drive a few more cars. Torquey? 260 ft.lbs is torquey? Not even close. The G/Z is a pure "wind 'em up and go" setup.

With a real torquey car, the manual provides a LOT more fun than an AT, but in these cars, until you've modded-in more torque, the 6MT gives you more choices for putting the RPMs into the meat of the HP range.

Always drive the car before you buy it. Some have easy clutches, some are workout machines. You may enjoy the throw, or not.

It's pure preference, unless you are the type that drive and look at other G's and need to feel you're a tiny bit faster.

If so, you better learn to drive a stick well.

Edit: So disappointed the G has turned into a kid's car Then again, you get what you paid for.

Last edited by jstudrawa; 02-28-2011 at 11:06 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To Shift, Or Not to Shift?