G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

To Shift, Or Not to Shift?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:13 AM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I sought out my 6MT because I wanted a manual. I like driving a manual. I like the control. I like the immediate response vs torque convertor windup and an auto trying to figure out which gear it needs to be in. Totally personal preference.

But, you do get the LSD, 19" forged rims and sport suspension with the 6MT. I think those things alone are worth it.

Having said that, I do not love the clutch on the 6MT. Yes, you get used to it but I still do not launch well in this car. Fortunately I have no need for Red Light Grand Prix's or drag racing. Once you get to 2nd gear, the clutch/tranny are real fast. No complaints.

I also have an 07 G35X. I am certain that I can launch faster than the coupe in the X. It might be the clutch in the coupe, it might that I'm no good with a clutch, it might be that the X has a great tranny. Still, I'm pretty sure I'd catch the X before the 1/4 mile and I know I'd trash the X if any curves were involved.

My wife, who drives the X but also drives my coupe just assumed that the coupe was more powerful than the X. I think the coupe 'feels' faster, but I think with a good driver at the wheel, you can get at the HP/torque better than the automatic can.

I'm not bashing. Its just my opinion/preference.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jstudrawa
Okay, I think you need to drive a few more cars. Torquey? 260 ft.lbs is torquey? Not even close. The G/Z is a pure "wind 'em up and go" setup.

With a real torquey car, the manual provides a LOT more fun than an AT, but in these cars, until you've modded-in more torque, the 6MT gives you more choices for putting the RPMs into the meat of the HP range.

Always drive the car before you buy it. Some have easy clutches, some are workout machines. You may enjoy the throw, or not.

It's pure preference, unless you are the type that drive and look at other G's and need to feel you're a tiny bit faster.

If so, you better learn to drive a stick well.

Edit: So disappointed the G has turned into a kid's car Then again, you get what you paid for.
Yeah you're right. I'm only 18 for christs sake. Sorry if that disappoints you, at least I can formulate coherent thoughts with decent punctuation and grammar. I wouldn't believe half of the ages of guys on here. It doesn't take much for a twenty something to use correct english...

Back to what you were saying, my bad for having a limited car experience list. The most powerful car I've driven is my dads e39 m5, and that follows the torquey argument better.

However, in comparison with my friends' cars, (08 sti with a few boltons, 91 e30 318, an 89 e30 with an m52, etc) the vq is obviously going to feel strong.
Especially with the sti, where bogging in 4th isnt uncommon.

I have no idea why this forum is so confrontational. I guess it's the combination of in-security and "less than stellar mental ability" this is a damn car forum, we should act like friends, not enemies.

You guys would be amazed to look on the volvo forums, (which is where I would have stayed if I hadn't been given the G35) they're filled with very conservative older people, who would laugh at the "conversations" we have on here.

Feel free to berate me on my "non deserved G35" I won't argue with you there. Id rather make the best of it and not care what other people think.

This argument will never stop, which isn't bad, but lets keep it to the transmissions, not the people. kthx

But my opinion is ftw

Old 02-28-2011, 11:42 AM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The argument about torque is purely relative. I've got a 45 hp tractor that will pull a 500 hp car backwards like it didn't have any torque at all.

And while the numbers for the G are not astronomical, if you drive an MT to get at the torque (4500-5000 rpm) you can definitely feel and kick in the pants all the way up through 5th.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a 05 Sedan auto now I got a 6mt and I live in LA and I wouldn't go back to auto ever!!! And just having a LSD is just awesome.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by N80
The argument about torque is purely relative. I've got a 45 hp tractor that will pull a 500 hp car backwards like it didn't have any torque at all.

And while the numbers for the G are not astronomical, if you drive an MT to get at the torque (4500-5000 rpm) you can definitely feel and kick in the pants all the way up through 5th.
Right, it's relative. That's why I was talking about torque in cars, not tractors. Keep it apples to apples, it makes more sense.

I personally would rather drive have a low RPM torque machine than a high RPM one.

I drive the G for various reasons, HP/TQ weren't all that high on my list.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Okay, I think you need to drive a few more cars. Torquey? 260 ft.lbs is torquey? Not even close. The G/Z is a pure "wind 'em up and go" setup.

With a real torquey car, the manual provides a LOT more fun than an AT, but in these cars, until you've modded-in more torque, the 6MT gives you more choices for putting the RPMs into the meat of the HP range.

Always drive the car before you buy it. Some have easy clutches, some are workout machines. You may enjoy the throw, or not.

It's pure preference, unless you are the type that drive and look at other G's and need to feel you're a tiny bit faster.

If so, you better learn to drive a stick well.

Edit: So disappointed the G has turned into a kid's car Then again, you get what you paid for.
I dunno about you but the G has decent grunt. No it's not a turbodeisel and doesn't make 650lb-ft at 1500 RPM but none the less I can drive it all at below 2000RPM and it does just fine around town. On the freeway when speeds fluctuate from 35-80mph I'm just sitting in 6th.

Try doing that with a 4 banger. Ain't gonna happen. This is one thing I really like about the G. It's got plenty of bottom end and midrange to be very, very easy to drive around town.

Why are you disappointed that a G is now a kids car? Do you need to own a car that only older people drive so you can feel superior? I've been driving my G since I was 16 so feel disappointed buddy.

FYI, you can go buy a Murcielago and there's still going to be some kid somewhere that got one for his 16th birthday. Drive the car cause you like it, not because of who drives it. With any make and model there will be kids driving and ricers throwing on far can exhausts and cheap rims and people throwing on rims that are 6" too big. It's just the way it is.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Revo
I dunno about you but the G has decent grunt. No it's not a turbodeisel and doesn't make 650lb-ft at 1500 RPM but none the less I can drive it all at below 2000RPM and it does just fine around town. On the freeway when speeds fluctuate from 35-80mph I'm just sitting in 6th.

Try doing that with a 4 banger. Ain't gonna happen. This is one thing I really like about the G. It's got plenty of bottom end and midrange to be very, very easy to drive around town.

Why are you disappointed that a G is now a kids car? Do you need to own a car that only older people drive so you can feel superior? I've been driving my G since I was 16 so feel disappointed buddy.

FYI, you can go buy a Murcielago and there's still going to be some kid somewhere that got one for his 16th birthday. Drive the car cause you like it, not because of who drives it. With any make and model there will be kids driving and ricers throwing on far can exhausts and cheap rims and people throwing on rims that are 6" too big. It's just the way it is.
I should have said children. Obviously, you missed my point. Which sort of proves it.

You instantly got defensive, but about the wrong thing. The kid comment was about the **** fight you were involved in, basically about nothing of consequence. Then you bow up to me. Relax man, it's not a big deal.

Kid's car had to do with maturity level. That's why I didn't use the term ricer. Mod and look how you want, but childish arguing and name calling on internet forums? Seriously?

Help each other constructively, isn't that why we're here to bond over a car since we may not have anything else in common?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Gotta love car forums.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
I should have said children. Obviously, you missed my point. Which sort of proves it.

You instantly got defensive, but about the wrong thing. The kid comment was about the **** fight you were involved in, basically about nothing of consequence. Then you bow up to me. Relax man, it's not a big deal.

Kid's car had to do with maturity level. That's why I didn't use the term ricer. Mod and look how you want, but childish arguing and name calling on internet forums? Seriously?

Help each other constructively, isn't that why we're here to bond over a car since we may not have anything else in common?
Dude for all you could know I could be 40. Only cause I put it out there I'm in the "younger" age group do you even know I'm that young.

I think you're reading too much into it. I didn't get defensive I was simply pointing out the loopholes in your argument. There were some and there still are.

Personally I think it's immature of you to act as if you are so much better than people born at a later date than you are. While there may be a correlation between age and maturity there's certainly no causation. An old grown up man can be easily 100x more immature than a 10 year year old kid. It just depends on the person.

So, again, you're generalizing far too much.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by Revo
Dude for all you could know I could be 40. Only cause I put it out there I'm in the "younger" age group do you even know I'm that young.

I think you're reading too much into it. I didn't get defensive I was simply pointing out the loopholes in your argument. There were some and there still are.

Personally I think it's immature of you to act as if you are so much better than people born at a later date than you are. While there may be a correlation between age and maturity there's certainly no causation. An old grown up man can be easily 100x more immature than a 10 year year old kid. It just depends on the person.

So, again, you're generalizing far too much.
Agreed