G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Engine Temperature Seems High

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I'm not one to start throwing parts at a situation until I find out what's wrong. Remove your radiator cap cold, start the engine and watch the coolant as she warms up. If you don't see the coolant moving when it's hot replace the thermostat and coolant since it's never been changed.
Gary

Old 03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just went outside and tested what you said gary. I removed the cap watched it warm up the coolant was just trickling out where I removed the cap. The coolant level didn't move at all in the container either. Both fans did kick in at 207F. What's my next move?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:42 AM
bump

Old 03-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
I'm not one to start throwing parts at a situation until I find out what's wrong. Remove your radiator cap cold, start the engine and watch the coolant as she warms up. If you don't see the coolant moving when it's hot replace the thermostat and coolant since it's never been changed.
Gary
sounds like pretty good advice

Old 05-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Did you ever fix this? I seem to be having a similar issue with mine. Not 235F but around 215-220F after driving for 30+ mins and that's still too hot IMO. changed the radiator cap, checked the coolant level it's all good. I'm hoping it's only the thermostat not fully opening up. Fans operate perfectly too.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
bumping this thread... my temp gauge also reached close to 3/4 today at a stop light.

04 coupe - 68k miles - koyo sport radiator - forged racing fan shroud - fresh coolant

Old 07-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am another in this overheating club... unfortunately i cant help but i can add what i have encountered.

Car reaches 3/4 temp within 5 mins (regardless of ambient temp) and stays there the whole time. Lower rad hose never gets even warm. Coolant never leaks. It has been like this for a year.

In the past month I have:

Flushed the coolant and added water wetter...... no difference.
Replaced the thermostat.... no difference
Replaced the rad cap..... no difference
Replaced the radiator..... no difference

Burped the coolant many times... no bubbles, but the coolant will slowly overflow the "spill free radiator filler" while the engine is running...then all drain back in within a minute of turning the car off.. im hoping this is just from fluid expansion and not a blockage because this filler can contain a gallon (4 litres) before it overflows, which seems like quite alot of expansion to me...

On a side note, with my regular "spirited" driving, the car averages 27mpg (or 9Litres/100km... or 11km/litre in the real world) and is sounding like it is pinging ever so slightly

As soon as my scan tool arrives i can check for error codes

Last thing to do is the water pump..... or a 3.5TT engine swap which is probably easier hahahaha

oh and today I am doing a major service including engine oil, trans fluid, diff fluid..... hoping the engine oil swap might help a bit

Last edited by Deep Dish V35; 07-04-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
given that you have flushed the possible rust out. first thing is to change thermostat. after that one needs to see some movement in coolant. if all of that looks good baring any blockages on front of radiator I would be looking then for blown headgasket

Old 07-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My biggest breakthru was stripping the thermostat out of the housing and refitting the housing to the car. If this doesnt make a difference, you can almost pin the fault to the water pump.

or you could try fitting an electric water pump to a custom bottom rad hose and see if that makes a difference before replacing the original......

Last edited by Deep Dish V35; 07-20-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:33 PM
The temp issue for me

[QUOTE=Deep Dish V35;5980480]I am another in this overheating club... unfortunately i cant help but i can add what i have encountered.

Car reaches 3/4 temp within 5 mins (regardless of ambient temp) and stays there the whole time. Lower rad hose never gets even warm. Coolant never leaks. It has been like this for a year.

Burped the coolant many times... no bubbles, but the coolant will slowly overflow the "spill free radiator filler" while the engine is running...then all drain back in within a minute of turning the car off.. im hoping this is just from fluid expansion and not a blockage because this filler can contain a gallon (4 litres) before it overflows, which seems like quite alot of expansion to me...

On a side note, with my regular "spirited" driving, the car averages 27mpg (or 9Litres/100km... or 11km/litre in the real world) and is sounding like it is pinging ever so slightly

Last thing to do is the water pump..... or a 3.5TT engine swap which is probably easier hahahaha

oh and today I am doing a major service including engine oil, trans fluid, diff fluid..... hoping the engine oil swap might help a bit

Make sure you use OEM I had replaced with aftermarket one and still over heated I went to Infiniti paid like 30 and problem fixed! At least did for me and I replaced water pump, fan and couple other things.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:59 AM
basic sedan i love my car just wish it was 5 speed and 2 door. I am about to vinyl wrap it though!
This same issue drove me insane until I replaced thermostat, fan, radiator, and water pump just to find out I had to use the OEM THERMOSTAT! At least I have tons of new parts on it though. Ha

Originally Posted by Deep Dish V35
I am another in this overheating club... unfortunately i cant help but i can add what i have encountered.