G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need help. Swaying side to side!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 02:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help. Swaying side to side!

Within this month I've replace my tires, rotors, and pads. Also, got the lifetime warranty alignment at Firestone. This isn't cheap at all. I want to solve this issue but at the same time not spend more money or at all.

Whenever I drive and pick up speed. I notice that my car sway side to side once in awhile. The first time this happened, I thought maybe it's just the road, and I hit a bump or something. The second time was at my neighborhood but in my area where I live, is (6 years old) fairly new, no bumps, roads are clear and clean. Last night was the worst I had. I'm driving home with my wife and kids. The road was wet from showers but the rain stop hours ago and no wind at all. I'm hitting 50-55 mph on 5th gear and picking up speed and all of sudden my rear end sway left to right. I'd say I swayed a good 3 consecutive times. It felt like I fishtailed. I just got more aware of it because I had my family in my car and that was dangerous.

I went to Firestone today and told them my situation and got my alignment done. So the Firestone rep told me that, my rear cambers are max out. I believe they were -1.9 on both sides. He also said, I'm going to need rear camber kits. In my head, I'm like WTF! More money!

Is this true what the Firestone rep is saying?
Did you have the same problems too? and how did you fix it?
Any recommendations!

Please help me out! advices please!
Greatly appreciated!

Old 03-29-2011, 03:24 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Probably bad shocks. Check your end-links and make sure the sway bars are tightened too. How many miles on your car?

Old 03-29-2011, 03:40 AM
I have 93000 miles on my car. I will have someone check the shocks and endlinks.

Thanks for the reply Herrschaft!

Old 03-29-2011, 05:01 AM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
OEM rear camber arms have zero adjustability. You will need aftermarket arms to be able to adjust it. I had this done because my camber was -2.0 before I lowered my car and I was eating through tires Fairly quick. Best company is SPC for the rear camber arms. They are pricy but worth the money!!

-Sean

Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Check your tire pressure you might have a tire that is low.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by 04nismoG
Check your tire pressure you might have a tire that is low.
this! if one of your tires is low this could be causing the swaying.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Footballmania32
OEM rear camber arms have zero adjustability. You will need aftermarket arms to be able to adjust it. I had this done because my camber was -2.0 before I lowered my car and I was eating through tires Fairly quick. Best company is SPC for the rear camber arms. They are pricy but worth the money!!

-Sean
i Believe your mistaken on BOTH points.
1. Oem do have SOME cabmer and toe adjustments but not much
2. best company is SPL but they are VERY VERY pricey.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:28 AM
You can adjust camber and toe but not caster. Both Camber and Toe will cause it to trackline in the rear. Also when you got new tires did you get the same speed rating front to rear. If you didn't and the back is a lower rating th sidewall will not be a stiff causing it to roll inthe rear. There are a lot of variables that can cause this. I am going through my suspension right now and and there are a lot of points that are weak and cause toe and camber to come out when the car squats under TQ.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Footballmania32

-Sean
Or you can get the Eibach rear camber kit as the SPC kit is made by Eibach and is less expensive.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
Or you can get the Eibach rear camber kit as the SPC kit is made by Eibach and is less expensive.
I am using the SPC kit front and read, im dropped on Eibach sport line springs and i cant it it back into spec. If you are dropped i would suggest setting a different set if you want it into "spec"

Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Gdriver90
I am using the SPC kit front and read, im dropped on Eibach sport line springs and i cant it it back into spec. If you are dropped i would suggest setting a different set if you want it into "spec"
Your drop looks close to mine, the SPC's will get that in spec. Try another alignment shop.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Your drop looks close to mine, the SPC's will get that in spec. Try another alignment shop.
i can get camber back into spec, but the tow is wayyy off. Prob should have mentioned that in the beginning.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't remember what my toe was but all my tires have normal wear. I also removed the shims from the front.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM
thanks guys! I'm going to have someone look at it today and hopefully nothing big.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdriver90
Were the holes in your rear subframe elongated properly in order to allow the SPC toe bolts to work correctly?

You should have no problem getting back into spec. My car is dropped 4" and my rear toe is perfect at 0.05

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help. Swaying side to side!