G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Triptronic Slap Stick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Triptronic Slap Stick

Is it wise to use the triptronic manu-matic on the 03 G?
Are there known issues with the transmission is the is used frequently and to shift at high revs?

Old 04-01-2011, 01:40 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
It is a feature the car was designed with, there is nothing wrong with using it.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I literally did this

Yes, it's fine. I also think you mean tiptronic, not triptronic.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
sometimes I drive around town in 2nd gear just to hear the engine roaring and be in the power band.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Affalterbach
sometimes I drive around town in 2nd gear just to hear the engine roaring and be in the power band.
20-40(ish) 2nd 45+ 3rd... Mmmm LOVE the sound almost dont wanna mess with my exhaust because of it.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I daily the tiptronic, just don't downshift on the daily and you should be okay. It'll still downshift for you when you're slowing down/coming to a stop. Save the downshifts for spirited driving.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In an 06 Coupe, after never being able to stand it for more than 1-2 blocks (5% of the time), I started using the manual mode as part of the whole braking sequence..........but I still wondered about durability.

My understanding is that the system is built to last, and the only thing not recommended was DOWNSHIFTING INTO 1ST GEAR.

There's no rev-matching going to 2-1, so it made sense and I now let it do that last shift for me.

It's totally more fun, especially when you learn the powerband..........amounting to the reverse; 95% of the time I'm in manual.

Even crazier? I now do the quiet ride often when underway, me who loves to bang out!!?? Exhaust note is that good, boys & girls.

After warming up in 3000 rpm range, begins to get rather jumpy and aggressive in the 4000s.

I've noticed lately between the torque peak rpm (4800) and the HP peak (6200) we can enjoy even more mid-range torque just 'fore an upshift.

Primarily 2nd & 3rd gear............generally 20-40 mph in 2nd gets you screaming, 40-80 in 3rd.

(Example: 45 mph in 3rd sounds like it's cruising; kinda tame, still at about 3000 rpm. Then you start smashing the throttle up & down to see how she acts @ 4 or 5K............and go OKAAAAAAAAY!)

I likee.

4th gear @ 5000 ? Go to jail speeds. Or, if you prefer, dead in a ditch speeds. Your call, speed-racer.

Brake pads @ 3mm prompted me to try it for deccellerating (sp), primarily to see how many miles I could go 'fore I got to 2mm, the accepted level for changing pads.

(Ended up using 1mm for 1,800 miles; no early warning sound came on and they were changed @ 2mm.)

Okay, I've heard I'd rather replace brake pads than a transmission, but I dont' buy it.

And struggle to figure out why in the @*%$ Nissan-Infiniti would engineer a system - with rev-matching downshifts - like this, only to say: You sporty wannabe racer-boys and girls really should not use it.

That said, to not be abusive (nor tempt fate), I avoid the 2-1 downshift.

Think that sounds fun?

Less than 2 months ago the dealer reversed the a-- backwards 5AT direction for my non-technical a (don't push it)..........butt.

Now, it is on.

I sit back
Pull upshift
Push downshift
And absolutely love the proper sequential manual.

Call me crazy, but it sure feels like I'm able to transmit that engine power to the rear wheels waaaaaaaaay better.

Wanna do it, too?

Take your DIY pick....or take (email) the 1st Set of directions to your local dealer's baddest technicial:

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ction-mod.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...direction.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...irius-sat.html

I'm gone.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 AM
WOW, thats a lot of unnecessary spacing. But you jeez your pants if your in 1st in a parking garage and give it a little gas.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TofuProductions
I literally did this

Yes, it's fine. I also think you mean tiptronic, not triptronic.
tomato, tomahtoe... lol you knew what I meant!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by icrazy2u
WOW, thats a lot of unnecessary spacing. But you jeez your pants if your in 1st in a parking garage and give it a little gas.
What? Who the bleep uses 1st gear?

Man, make this a habit for your useless 1st gear. Tap the friggin thing into 2nd as soon as you step on it and drive......... and don't be a beach, while you're at it.

Let see.......nipples on a bull vs. 1st gear? You do the math............Crazy Bull, err, Einstein.

Good God Almighty. Look likes somebody's been boycotting their meds.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Bozo954
What? Who the bleep uses 1st gear?

Man, make this a habit for your useless 1st gear. Tap the friggin thing into 2nd as soon as you step on it and drive......... and don't be a beach, while you're at it.

Let see.......nipples on a bull vs. 1st gear? You do the math............Crazy Bull, err, Einstein.

Good God Almighty. Look likes somebody's been boycotting their meds.
I don't need 2nd in a parking garage lol. Makes the exhaust echo through-out the deck in 1st. And you want to talk about "meds". Read what you just typed.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Thread wars!! GO

Old 04-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
inb4close

Old 04-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
frankly, since the first time i tried the manual shifter, i have never gone back to the auto mod, my reasons:

-first the shifter lets you to use engine braking and prolongs your brakes' life.
-since i have put sprintbooster, responsiveness is awesome (the lag between gear change is partially eliminated)
-car is louder
-the auto mod when you try to accelerate(like you normally do in manual mode), it speeds up too fast(more than you normally want) then u have to use the brakes more,it changes upgears too fast .

i dunno i time to time miss manual stick but i live in core downtown toronto, so u wont enjoy the stick anyways in downtown traffic. i wish i could put a nice pedal shifter that would be perfect.

Just becareful on deceleration as others mentioned, especially 3-2-1st gear combination. I usually leave it at 2 when i am slowing down and let the computer change it to 1st automatically when u come to a stop.(u might sometimes get a quick stalling)

GL

Old 04-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by musti82
frankly, since the first time i tried the manual shifter, i have never gone back to the auto mod, my reasons:

-first the shifter lets you to use engine braking and prolongs your brakes' life.
-since i have put sprintbooster, responsiveness is awesome (the lag between gear change is partially eliminated)
-car is louder
-the auto mod when you try to accelerate(like you normally do in manual mode), it speeds up too fast(more than you normally want) then u have to use the brakes more,it changes upgears too fast .

i dunno i time to time miss manual stick but i live in core downtown toronto, so u wont enjoy the stick anyways in downtown traffic. i wish i could put a nice pedal shifter that would be perfect.

Just becareful on deceleration as others mentioned, especially 3-2-1st gear combination. I usually leave it at 2 when i am slowing down and let the computer change it to 1st automatically when u come to a stop.(u might sometimes get a quick stalling)

GL

VB upgrade>Sprintbooster, any day

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Triptronic Slap Stick