G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Triptronic Slap Stick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Avoiding potholes
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by musti82
frankly, since the first time i tried the manual shifter, i have never gone back to the auto mod, my reasons:

-first the shifter lets you to use engine braking and prolongs your brakes' life.
-since i have put sprintbooster, responsiveness is awesome (the lag between gear change is partially eliminated)
-car is louder
-the auto mod when you try to accelerate(like you normally do in manual mode), it speeds up too fast(more than you normally want) then u have to use the brakes more,it changes upgears too fast .

i dunno i time to time miss manual stick but i live in core downtown toronto, so u wont enjoy the stick anyways in downtown traffic. i wish i could put a nice pedal shifter that would be perfect.

Just becareful on deceleration as others mentioned, especially 3-2-1st gear combination. I usually leave it at 2 when i am slowing down and let the computer change it to 1st automatically when u come to a stop.(u might sometimes get a quick stalling)

GL
Watch your oil when you drive like this. There's a "clicking" sound that starts happening when your oil is dangerously low.

I'll use it when we're on a twisite road drive. Once you go back to auto, the G is a bit more feisty. No big deal, it's fun to hear your exhaust but again, monitor your oil.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
wow why dont u just get a 6MT lOL

Originally Posted by Bozo954
In an 06 Coupe, after never being able to stand it for more than 1-2 blocks (5% of the time), I started using the manual mode as part of the whole braking sequence..........but I still wondered about durability.

My understanding is that the system is built to last, and the only thing not recommended was DOWNSHIFTING INTO 1ST GEAR.

There's no rev-matching going to 2-1, so it made sense and I now let it do that last shift for me.

It's totally more fun, especially when you learn the powerband..........amounting to the reverse; 95% of the time I'm in manual.

Even crazier? I now do the quiet ride often when underway, me who loves to bang out!!?? Exhaust note is that good, boys & girls.

After warming up in 3000 rpm range, begins to get rather jumpy and aggressive in the 4000s.

I've noticed lately between the torque peak rpm (4800) and the HP peak (6200) we can enjoy even more mid-range torque just 'fore an upshift.

Primarily 2nd & 3rd gear............generally 20-40 mph in 2nd gets you screaming, 40-80 in 3rd.

(Example: 45 mph in 3rd sounds like it's cruising; kinda tame, still at about 3000 rpm. Then you start smashing the throttle up & down to see how she acts @ 4 or 5K............and go OKAAAAAAAAY!)

I likee.

4th gear @ 5000 ? Go to jail speeds. Or, if you prefer, dead in a ditch speeds. Your call, speed-racer.

Brake pads @ 3mm prompted me to try it for deccellerating (sp), primarily to see how many miles I could go 'fore I got to 2mm, the accepted level for changing pads.

(Ended up using 1mm for 1,800 miles; no early warning sound came on and they were changed @ 2mm.)

Okay, I've heard I'd rather replace brake pads than a transmission, but I dont' buy it.

And struggle to figure out why in the @*%$ Nissan-Infiniti would engineer a system - with rev-matching downshifts - like this, only to say: You sporty wannabe racer-boys and girls really should not use it.

That said, to not be abusive (nor tempt fate), I avoid the 2-1 downshift.

Think that sounds fun?

Less than 2 months ago the dealer reversed the a-- backwards 5AT direction for my non-technical a (don't push it)..........butt.

Now, it is on.

I sit back
Pull upshift
Push downshift
And absolutely love the proper sequential manual.

Call me crazy, but it sure feels like I'm able to transmit that engine power to the rear wheels waaaaaaaaay better.

Wanna do it, too?

Take your DIY pick....or take (email) the 1st Set of directions to your local dealer's baddest technicial:

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ction-mod.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...direction.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...irius-sat.html

I'm gone.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Avoiding potholes
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
^shush...lol!

Old 04-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TofuProductions
VB upgrade>Sprintbooster, any day
It's better if you want to spend another $500 or so dollars. Also, if you deceide to go stock it's 5 min to remove the SprintBooster. Probably over $500 to go back to stock valve body. I've been running a SprintBooster for four years and am pleased with the $$ vs performance/fun ratio.

Last edited by BlkCoupe; 04-01-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
If only tiptronic simulated the clutch too, then you could really be almost driving a 6mt..../end unnecessary sarcasm

Sorry, I love driving stick so much, I can't ever imagine giving it up for what is at best a terrible approximation for it.