G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Spark Plug Replacement at mechanic or DIY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Spark Plug Replacement at mechanic or DIY?

My var had 55K and I'm taking it for a custome tune next month so, just going through the checklist. The only thing my car is missing is possibly new plugs at the time. Went to my mechanic and the amount he quoted me for labor is crazy high. What have others on here paid for the labor or, is the DIY that difficult?
It seems to be at least a two or three hour work and that's having all of the tools ready ahead of time.
My biggest concern is taking off the throttle boddy and messing something up badly. Comments?

Old 04-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my spark plugs for the first time at 67k miles. The DIY was pretty easy, took me about two hours (I had never done them before on the G). I took off the intake and loosened all wires to make the install easier. If you take the throttle body off, all you have to do is follow the throttle body reset procedure. I don't have the link for the reset, but it can be found easily with a simple search. I will post up the DIY for the spark plugs though... Hope it helps!

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drive...huge-pics.html
http://infinitihelp.com/diy/gcoupe/e...nsimission.htm

Old 04-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Thank you Cubs. If I don't need to take off the throtle body, I just won't. My mechanic quoted me $125 for the job and I thought, that's quite a bit more than what I was lookingto pay. I also have a 2K Se MAxima and have swapped out the plugs numerous times. This just looks a tad bit more complicated.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
You don't have to remove the TB. Just take the intake tube off and it's as easy as a couple of bolts. I've done mines several times and it's real easy. That's 125.00 you can out towards a new mod!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi-Tech_G
You don't have to remove the TB. Just take the intake tube off and it's as easy as a couple of bolts. I've done mines several times and it's real easy. That's 125.00 you can out towards a new mod!
Ditto.

ByThaBay's video is what I used to DIY. I took three hours but ate lunch between. The hardest one to get was the rear pass plug b/c I had to really squeeze the coil pack out between the looms.

If you DIY: you can just remove the intake between the filter box and TB, then loosen all the wire looms at the brackets than connect them to the valve covers like the video I mentioned above.

If you can get it done for 125 including plugs, then it isn't that bad. I like knowing it was done by me and that things were torqued to spec, etc. My rear driver spark plug hole has oil in it. I'm not going to fix it until it causes a problem so I sucked the oil up with a rag, pulled the plug, and put a copious amount of plug boot grease to prevent oil from getting to the terminal.

Reminder... if you DIY remember to buy anti-sieze and plug boot grease.

Good luck.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
$125 is good imo

Be careful, I broke one of the bolts that attaches the coilpack to the valve cover. Luckily I had a small leak in one cylinder so infiniti replaced both covers under warranty.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its easy remove the intake and unbolt the the main harness so you can move it out of the way and just make sure to unhook one coil pack at a time and do the spark plug and then plug it back in and move to the next one it is a pretty simple DIY and just do my procedure to make sure you don't mix up wires and have misfire which can ruin your cats... but its a good DIY

GOOD LUCK

Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 PM
I'll lookup the DIY and try it this weekend. Thanks for the input, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I did my plugs when i installed mrev2 and plenum spacer...the plugs were pretty easy especially if you follow a DIY.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure to check the gap, I had 1/6 this weekend that was at .50

Old 04-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HwyDrftr
Make sure to check the gap, I had 1/6 this weekend that was at .50
Yes, definitely check the gap on the plugs. Like everyone before has said, it's a pretty straight forward job, pretty easy if you’re slightly mechanically inclined. Just pop off the engine cover and intake tubing, then I personally unbolted the wire loom to make it a bit easier to move about. Then its just pulling the coil's and plugs and replacing them. Look for oil build up in your spark plug wells once you have pulled the coil and before you start unscrewing the plug. No good if there happens to be gunk (soot, dirt, heaven forbid a metal shaving) in there. cause when you pull the plug all that fun stuff drains into your cylinder and let me tell you a any bit of debris in a cylinder can prove to be a serious problem and a pain to get out. just soak up anything in there with a paper towel and you should be fine. wouldnt hurt to note which cyliders were getting the oil build up there. May or may not be a problem for you, but worth keeping in mind.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks to everyones input and encouragement. Just completed it and it took over an hour. You do have to be a bit mechanically inclined and inventive to get in there and do the job. The main thing is having a long extension, that allows you to get through small spaces. Again, thanks guys.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
DIY, not too difficult of an install from what I have read. I plan on doing this when I reach 60k.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:56 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
That's when I did mine.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:29 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ug-change.html

Here is a great DIY, it doesn't look that bad. As far as the plugs, I would choose the best ones considering how long they last and how important they are. Don't skimp on these!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Replacement at mechanic or DIY?