G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

rev-up 6mt racing shift points

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wpg_g35
At the track a car length at the 1/4 mile line is almost a second..not saying im that quick but should be faster than 14.1
a car length at the track is about 1-2 tenths at the 1/4 mile. your looking at high 13's for your car.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anynigma
CarBody...That was a confusing post.

OP, tried a little shifting myself, def need to watch the needle cause it rises awful fast, definitely try what carbody and I are advocating, 6800 or so to shift. I'm in for the results if you do the 20+ runs.
The last time I shifted at 6800rpm I was racing against my friends 1994 bmw 540 with the 4.0l V8. I beat it pretty good and my car length gap was building as each gear passed.

Ill try anywhere from 6400 to 7000 at the track, it will be good...maybe even next weekend if the weather holds up

Old 05-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by 1hotvq
a car length at the track is about 1-2 tenths at the 1/4 mile. your looking at high 13's for your car.
Usually crossing the 1/4 mile my mph should probably be between 101 and 104mph. By the time we are up to that speed im ATLEAST 2 car lengths ahead of him if not 2.5 Plus im getting 275's in the rear soon with a AA traction rating so they're softer and should help with 60foot times.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it sounds like you do most of your racing on the street. have you made many passes down the track yet? if not dont be disappointed if you pass at sub 100mph your first few runs. the track is much different than the street. by the time you hit the 1/4 mile you should be touching 4th gear. id keep the rev light at 6700. thats where i keep mine.

Last edited by 1hotvq; 05-08-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:13 PM
it sounds like you do most of your racing on the street. have you made many passes down the track yet? if not dont be disappointed if you pass at sub 100mph your first few runs. the track is much different than the street. by the time you hit the 1/4 mile you should be touching 4th gear. id keep the rev light at 6700. thats where i keep mine.
In manitoba theres nothing for drag strips, there is one in Gimli but its 45 minutes away and its open just a couple weeks out of the season.
The next strip is 3 hours+ away,,,,they hate us here

Old 05-08-2011, 07:20 PM
The first day its open I will be there bright and early. I bought my g35 in january this year so I haven't had a chance to take it anywhere as the track is still closed.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:01 AM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
I think you guys are still forgetting the whole mechanical advantage thing...

Lets use 2nd and 3rd gear for example. Third has 1.33x the top speed of second gear, and therefore will take 1.33x the power to accelerate at the same rate.

So unless your car happens to produce an extra 33% power at, say, 4700 where it would fall if you shifted at 6500 than it does at 7000 (almost not way that's gonna happen), then there's something "wrong" that's causing your car to pull timing at high RPM's.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:30 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
In manitoba theres nothing for drag strips, there is one in Gimli but its 45 minutes away and its open just a couple weeks out of the season.
quit the street racing, reckless driving talk on this forum or you will end up getting threads closed and risking bans and the likes.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:31 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Quit the street racing, reckless driving talk on this forum or you will end up getting threads closed and risking bans and the likes. Nobody wants to hear about how you drive around fast and furious style endangering the public...

Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
Originally Posted by Xet
Quit the street racing, reckless driving talk on this forum or you will end up getting threads closed and risking bans and the likes. Nobody wants to hear about how you drive around fast and furious style endangering the public...
I don't think the OP went around bragging about it, she/he just didn't make it clear where he/she was driving. Someone asked/assumed, and she/he verified. Your advice is sound and we'd all hope its taken seriously, but lets get back to the topic at hand.

Revo, I completely agree. The same point is made by examining the power and tq curves through each gear, since it will show the maximum power and tq transferred to the wheels SHOULD be greater at high end of gear A than at the rpms after a shift to gear A+1.

I think the "test" regimen I prescribed will also show the best point for the OP's car and driving style. I think its safe to say that shifting at 6800rpms means different things for each of us.

OP, I'd be pleased to hear the results of your trials, but I am patient and can wait until the next time you hit the track.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was simply saying that the OP may be shifting too late and at WOT is hitting the limiter so upon engaging the clutch at his next shift the RPM is "dropping" not "climbing" causing him to notice a slower time.

Solution, again, is to film himself doing a run and he should be able to gauge where he needs to shift depending on his habits and ability.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Klumzyee
I was simply saying that the OP may be shifting too late and at WOT is hitting the limiter so upon engaging the clutch at his next shift the RPM is "dropping" not "climbing" causing him to notice a slower time.

Solution, again, is to film himself doing a run and he should be able to gauge where he needs to shift depending on his habits and ability.
I wonder at what point on the tach it starts to get inaccurate..is 7000rpm 7k or is it really 6800?
However I shouldn't post anymore until I have track results so ill keep quiet.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pretty sure our tachs accurate. I'm just saying if OP is WOT shifting he might be hitting the limiter when he's shifting that late.. Because I know I was (without noticing it).

Old 05-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Klumzyee
pretty sure our tachs accurate. I'm just saying if OP is WOT shifting he might be hitting the limiter when he's shifting that late.. Because I know I was (without noticing it).
Im the Op and yes I am a dude. Isn't the limiter supposed to be at 7000rpm..everyone with a rev-up mention it goes to 7200rpm including myself.
Let's say I hit the rev limiter, and I have before. However it's not like it drops to 3k or anything.
If you are shifting and you blip the limiter slightly and it goes off while the clutch pedal is fully engaged....then when you get into your next gear and release the clutch, your gearing will still put you at a lower rev point than what you were reving near as the limiter bounced.

When I shift it sounds like an automatic

Old 05-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
I would say "relax, no need to get testy" but now is the time to get testy! Lets have wpg_g35 (the OP) get us some data, and we'll have a definitive answer.

Just a guess: its very possible that the limiter is at 7000rpm, but the engine is capable of passing it as the fuel cuts off (probably for emissions or something). Klumzyee's point is that if your car cuts off fuel, even with your foot on the pedal, when you downshift the engine may be "decelerating" as you engage the clutch. This would make it feel like the shift yields less power than expected, and would indeed affect your times.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rev-up 6mt racing shift points