G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Question about Injen CAI Short ram and heatshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question about Injen CAI Short ram and heatshield

I currently have a a Injen Short RAM air intake. I am wondering if the stock airtube which goes to the stock airbox would work with this? Or would a stillen Air box work with an Injen Short ram?

Last edited by gat0713; 05-09-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Or which is the best way to get the most out of this intake in short ram form?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Any thoughts?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In your first post you say you have a CAI (Cold Air Intake). From what I know this is the type of intake that sends a pipe from the throttle body, through the fender wall and into the bumper or fender, close to the ground and outside of the engine bay. (key word: OUTSIDE).

Then right after that you say you have Short Ram Intake. Which means the opposite. A pipe that comes off the Throttle body and usually goes as far to the front and side of the car as possible where a cone filter is usually installed at the end of the pipe "INSIDE" the engine bay. Does this mean that the INJEN CAI can be turned into a Short Ram?

For all intent and purpose I'm pretty sure you just accidentally misinterpreted the meaning of CAI, and actually have a Short ram intake.

SO... if that's the case. I'm pretty sure that either one will be sufficient and the difference would be negligible.

If not, then please disregard my post and accept my apology for the misunderstanding.

Jay

Old 05-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
^ yeah you can convert Injen CAI's in a short ram if you want. The downtube that goes into the bumper is a separate pice than the one that goes into the throttle body. The stock MAF is in between the two so it can be either a CAI or a SR.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by gat0713
Or which is the best way to get the most out of this intake in short ram form?
By "most" do you mean the most performance?
What are you looking to get the "most of"?
If its performance then the best way to the get the most is to switch back to OEM.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Yes, I have the Injen Short Ram air intake. Sorry about placing in CAI, it is not the entire tubing to the ground, but the short ram. My question was if I could use the stillen heatshield or what can I use to get best performance results out of my Injen Short ram. Because I have read that both OEM (Z-tube and cone air filter.) and the Injen intake offer similar gains with the Injen being gaining about 1hp or 2hp more? What would you guys think? Just trying to learn as much I can about how the g35 works performance wize. I have read in some threads here that Injen is barely better than OEM or Z-tube and cone air filter combination.)? Could I adapt a Stillen heat shield or the OEM heatshield to the Injen Short ram intake?

Old 05-09-2011, 07:11 PM
You're thinking too much into this..

No you cannot use your injen short ram setup with the stillen "cold air box"..

You MIGHT be able to use the Stillen "cold air box" with the Injen cone filter (if it fits).

The OEM G35 Intake tube has a resonator on it.. changing this tube to a OEM 350z Tube (Z-Tube) or any other manufactures version will yeild ZERO gains as far as power goes. However without the resonator (OEM G-Tube) attached it will be noticeably louder which is why people do it.

The Injen short ram to my knowledge does not come with a heat shield. So you're loosing power compared to stock. This is true and proven that Shot Rams without heat shields or cold air boxes will loose power due to heat from the engine. WHEN PROPERLY installed JWT heat shield and popcharger combo is the only "heat shield" intake that does not loose power.

Stillen cold air is like stock but with a box around it ._. the cone filter is smaller but you still get the hissing sound of an aftermarket intake =).

As far as performance:
There hasn't been an intake to my knowledge that produces a noticeable power gain (With the hood closed) compared to stock.

All short ram intakes without a heat shield or air box will loose power compared to stock.

AEM cold air intake and NISMO both loose power (i think).

As far as noise is concerned:
Tube = more loud
Filter = more hiss or different type of hiss + loud.

Unless something amazing has changed in the last 3 years all the above info holds true. Injen also has a "newer" CAI with a cone similar to the popcharger now

Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Klumzyee
You're thinking too much into this..

No you cannot use your injen short ram setup with the stillen "cold air box"..

You MIGHT be able to use the Stillen "cold air box" with the Injen cone filter (if it fits).

The OEM G35 Intake tube has a resonator on it.. changing this tube to a OEM 350z Tube (Z-Tube) or any other manufactures version will yeild ZERO gains as far as power goes. However without the resonator (OEM G-Tube) attached it will be noticeably louder which is why people do it.

The Injen short ram to my knowledge does not come with a heat shield. So you're loosing power compared to stock. This is true and proven that Shot Rams without heat shields or cold air boxes will loose power due to heat from the engine. WHEN PROPERLY installed JWT heat shield and popcharger combo is the only "heat shield" intake that does not loose power.

Stillen cold air is like stock but with a box around it ._. the cone filter is smaller but you still get the hissing sound of an aftermarket intake =).

As far as performance:
There hasn't been an intake to my knowledge that produces a noticeable power gain (With the hood closed) compared to stock.

All short ram intakes without a heat shield or air box will loose power compared to stock.

AEM cold air intake and NISMO both loose power (i think).

As far as noise is concerned:
Tube = more loud
Filter = more hiss or different type of hiss + loud.

Unless something amazing has changed in the last 3 years all the above info holds true. Injen also has a "newer" CAI with a cone similar to the popcharger now
Hey that was really helpful. Thank you. I am trying to use my Injen short ram set up and get a heatshield for it and probably the OEM air tube which directs air to the airbox where the OEM intake would be. I would get that OEM air tube and JWT heatshield? Or something that could fit properly. Lol. This is a tough one, what would you guys suggest as for how to redirect cold air to the injen short ram setup? What heatshield might I use with a 3" cone? Hmm.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:19 PM
The only cost efficient way I can think of is to call JWT and buy a heat shield, just say that you have a JWT intake and for whatever reason you lost it. They're the only company I know that'll sell the heat shield separately.

As far as performance goes your cheapest option is to throw the stock intake SYSTEM on..

As far as injen goes you should consider upgrading to their like version2 or 3 whatever their latest CAI is and go with that (sounds amazing btw).

Old 05-10-2011, 12:39 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...s-results.html

Read, Study, and then switch back to Z-Tube and stick a K&N DIF in there. =D