G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

If I lower my car, do I need a camber kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dam thats rough. did you cut the rear spring mount too or just go straight spring drop? Thats pretty far off for only s-techs!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 AM
That's what I thought too! Every car will come out different. I didn't cut the mount just did the spring drop. One would assume with a.8 drop the mount should be ok. I am actually having it aligned right now. Another 125.00 alignment for the third time! That blows!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Yea
Every car will come out different
that is very true.

One of my close friends that i graduated high school with ended up getting a job at firestone while hes going through college. I purchased the lifetime allignment for $160 worth every penny if you know who is working on your car.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:12 AM
That's the problem is who is doing it. I use to rent the rack time and do it my larks when I owned my company. Now I am at the mercy if a friend that works at a stealership

Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I remember reading here a long time ago about a good rule to follow.

If your lower your car more than 1" then you need a rear camber kit period. The front will be borderline and it would be a good idea to get a camber kit also.

I lowered my car with Tein S-Techs/springmount cut and I got a rear camber kit, but I did not get a front kit. I got an alignment and could not get my front tires close to specs so after they wore out within one year I ended up getting a front kit. IMO the best way to do it and the cheapest is to get a front and rear kit and install everything at once. this saves you money/time on installation, alignments, and tires.

Lower your car and install front/rear camber then get an alignment. =

VS

Lower your car and get an alignment then realize your front camber is too much. Go back and install front/rear camber six months later, then get another alignment. Meanwhile your tires are now half worn. =

My advice would be to do it all at once, unless you like sweating under your car do to multiple installations and paying extra money for duplicate alignments. Don't forget to allow at least 10 days after installation before getting an alignment so your springs can settle.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you lower the car... most likely you are going to need a camber and toe kit. I had to. I used eibach racing springs and I have 20" rims... I definitly had to get the camber kit. I bought the Godspeed camber kit front and back for around $200. They seem good so far.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Yea what he said! ^. Fwiw we just finished mine 20 minutes ago and the SPC bolts are a must to put it all right! Now time to go roll my fenders!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by mt7rabbit
I remember reading here a long time ago about a good rule to follow. If your lower your car more than 1" then you need a rear camber kit period. The front will be borderline and it would be a good idea to get a camber kit also.
I lowered my car with Tein S-Techs/springmount cut and I got a rear camber kit, but I did not get a front kit. I got an alignment and could not get my front tires close to specs so after they wore out within one year I ended up getting a front kit. IMO the best way to do it and the cheapest is to get a front and rear kit and install everything at once. this saves you money/time on installation, alignments, and tires. Lower your car and install front/rear camber then get an alignment. =
VS
Lower your car and get an alignment then realize your front camber is too much. Go back and install front/rear camber six months later, then get another alignment. Meanwhile your tires are now half worn. =
My advice would be to do it all at once, unless you like sweating under your car do to multiple installations and paying extra money for duplicate alignments. Don't forget to allow at least 10 days after installation before getting an alignment so your springs can settle.
Originally Posted by gat0713
If you lower the car... most likely you are going to need a camber and toe kit. I had to. I used eibach racing springs and I have 20" rims... I definitly had to get the camber kit. I bought the Godspeed camber kit front and back for around $200. They seem good so far.
Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Yea what he said! ^. Fwiw we just finished mine 20 minutes ago and the SPC bolts are a must to put it all right! Now time to go roll my fenders!
You're all posting very close to the same opinion....^....which is what I posted myself. Perfect alignment is when you've installed the camber kit/toe bolts and you're back to OE specs so you're not buying tires once a year. I think if you can get 30K miles from sticky quality tires that should be good enough from our G35s. My PS2s have a wear number of 220, I'll be lucky to see 30K....
Gary

Old 06-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Godspeed my friend I really hope those hold up when you find a nasty pot-hole

Old 06-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DomeP1ece

Are they really that bad?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DomeP1ece
You don't know till you try them. Do you have experience with Godspeed? or are you speaking out of the blue just because it is not a well known brand? lol. They seem build as good as other brands, the only difference is the brand. As time progresses I will know how to work. So far they seem nice and have softened up the road for me. Grip feels better as well. I am trying to get the whiteline buschings to to a proper alignment and that should be that to better test out the camber kit.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Toe affects tire wear more than camber ever can.

If anything, you need the rear toe bolts. Front toe is already adjustable, and camber arms are not necessary but are great to have with any drop.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
Toe affects tire wear more than camber ever can.
If anything, you need the rear toe bolts. Front toe is already adjustable, and camber arms are not necessary but are great to have with any drop.
Dofu, they are necessary if you need them to return your alignment back to OE specs since camber adjustment doesn't exist with our Infinities. Even members with stock suspensions have issues with prematurely wearing out front tires. I know why rear tires wear, it's called my right foot....
Gary

Old 06-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Dofu, they are necessary if you need them to return your alignment back to OE specs since camber adjustment doesn't exist with our Infinities. Even members with stock suspensions have issues with prematurely wearing out front tires. I know why rear tires wear, it's called my right foot....
Gary
Just goes to show that OE specs don't mean much here.

I've always had custom alignment specs as I've never liked the dull handling characteristics of OE specs. The only part of the alignment I really care to be near OE specs is toe, and I typically run a good amount of camber and rarely have had that negatively affect tire wear. I've had my current tires for more than a year now, and these RE760s still have a lot of life left even with the 2, 3 degrees of camber.

Last edited by dofu; 06-02-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Received 105 Likes on 13 Posts
I was dropped just over an inch on lowering springs while running stock suspension components. The negative camber was so bad that my tires would only wear on about 3 inches of very inner tread. Speaking from experience, I would definitely get a camber kit to correct your alignment if you are going to lower your car at all.

I just posted this up: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...m-install.html

You should be able to draw your own conclusions from there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If I lower my car, do I need a camber kit?