G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

So I got my spark plugs changed today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So I got my spark plugs changed today...

and when I got to cylinder 4 (middle plug on the driver side), the spark plug was covered in oil (the tip was black). All the other plugs were in great shape and looked like they were recently changed (I just picked up my 04 coupe back in February).

I did some searching and looks like I have the infamous valve cover leak.

Here's the thing though.. the guy changing my plugs told me that he didn't see a leak coming from the valve cover... and that I should just drive the engine into the ground and then replace the engine.

From all the searching I've done it seems the only way for oil to get into the cylinder chamber where the plug is... is via the valve cover leak though?

I have a couple of questions:

1. If I purchase the driver side valve cover, should that fix my problem?

2. I currently go through about a quart of oil every 1500-2000KM (900-1250Mi). Is it possible to lose that much oil through that one cylinder? Or is the engine also burning oil?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Old 06-10-2011, 05:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That's an incredible amount of oil to lose if you don't see a leak beyond the sparkplug well.

How many miles and what year model? Driving it into the ground sounds like its beyond reasonable repair. Although possible that would be unusual.

You'd know that you're buring oil at that amount. Exhaust smoke would be more than evident. Find another mechanic to take a look and do the proper testing to let you know for sure.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:32 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Do you have the revup motor (05-07 6 MTs)?

If so it's possible you are burning oil outside of the valve cover issue. Those motors have sh!tty rings that cause the issue for a percentage of their owners.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That is a lot of oil to be losing in just the spark plug tube. I found a little oil in one tube and was losing about a quart every 3k miles. I decided to change both valve covers about 15k miles later and found a ton of oil in more tubes and on both valve covers. Now I don't seem to be missing much oil at all.

The following users liked this post:
Imperial1 (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 PM
^^ I have an 04 Coupe M6 with brembos/navi so no, I don't have the revup motor.

Car currently has 115,000KM (72,000Mi)

My exhaust does give off quite a bit of smoke but only at startup which i figured was normal.

I too find it hard to believe I'm losing so much oil through one cylinder... all the other spark plugs barely had, if any, oil on them.

Snakes' G: prior to changing the valve covers were any other cylinders leaking or was it just one tube and then when you changed the covers you uncovered all the oil?

Old 06-10-2011, 01:58 PM
The one closest to the driver was the one with a decent amount. I'm almost positive that all the others were either completely dry or one might have had a drop. It was much worse when I changed them finally multiple plugs were almost completely submerged in oil.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:03 PM
^^ seeing as I changed my spark plugs and only one of my plugs was covered in oil..are you saying when you changed the covers there was even more oil (that I wouldn't have noticed from just changing my spark plugs?)

if so that does seem promising to me and give me hope that my engine isn't burning oil lol.

Thanks for the help as well!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:17 PM
No all I am saying is the problem will get worse. When I changed my plugs the passenger tubes were dry. I decided to change both valve covers anyway. Luckily I did that because that side was leaking about as much as the other at that point.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:26 PM
ahh ok.

Thanks for the info bro... I'll prob take it by another mechanic to see if I can get a more definitive answer.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:30 PM
No problem. Yea there's probably another place where your losing the majority of your oil. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 PM
I forgot to mention when I changed my valve covers I noticed a lot more oil residue was in the plenum than before. When I installed my spacer with 75k on the motor there was just a little residue. Then at about 100k when I changed the covers there was significantly more residue. Maybe look into changing your Pcv valve. Perhaps too much oil is getting by.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a fix by drilling out and replacing the spark plug tube seals which I am in the process of doing (I had oil in #5 tube). More info if you want it.

Also, I go through about 1/2 Quart in 1000 mi. As mentioned, I don't think I would drive the engine into the ground. A lot of people have success running Castrol 5w-30 (the Made in Germany one) and their consumption is reduced a lot. My car consumed a considerable amount of oil on Valvoline, but is a lot less on Mobil 1, and I am using Castrol next time I change the oil.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:11 AM
Originally Posted by Jmurray89
There is a fix by drilling out and replacing the spark plug tube seals which I am in the process of doing (I had oil in #5 tube). More info if you want it.

Also, I go through about 1/2 Quart in 1000 mi. As mentioned, I don't think I would drive the engine into the ground. A lot of people have success running Castrol 5w-30 (the Made in Germany one) and their consumption is reduced a lot. My car consumed a considerable amount of oil on Valvoline, but is a lot less on Mobil 1, and I am using Castrol next time I change the oil.
Hey bro share the info on what you're doing.. If it will help me out I'm listening lol.

I currently use the made in germany Castrol 0w-30 and the engine is drinking it.. I find it incredibly hard to believe that my #4 cylinder could be going through 1 quart of oil every 1200miles...

The guy that changed my plugs is convinced that replacing the valve cover's is a waste of money... he says it's either the piston rings or something else I forget the second place he mentioned that it's possibly leaking.

I do know that some non rev-up VQ35's burn oil as well and it's looking like mine may be one of them

Old 06-12-2011, 05:09 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What happens if this oil pooling in the spark plugs issue is unaddressed? My dealership told me my driver's side gasket has begun seeping.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 239 Likes on 159 Posts
this is not carbodykits product!!! This is another vendor r&d factory!

Do not pm me! I'm just sharing the info! Lol

Originally Posted by r&d factory
we here at r&d factory service many nissans and infinities daily and run into same valve cover/spark plug o-ring leak. About 75% of the vehicles that we serve have same problems. Even though its money out of customers pocket after spending so much money on these valve covers we were thinking there has to be a way to cut the cost so here we are. R&d has come out the kit will come with both driver and passenger side valve cover gasket, six o-ring gasket and a simple instruction how to replace them. We will be also offering ready to install kit for $150.00 + $100 for the cores. We will ship you two valve covers(one of each driver and passenger side) with new valve cover gasket and o-rings installed. $100 core charge will be refunded as soon as you send in your covers to us. Your warranty should and will cover leaking valve cover o-rings grommets. We do advise you to check for leak before your warranty is over.... The whole idea of us making these o-rings grommets were for those who have leaking o-rings grommets yet their warranty is already over. We do drill out the old o-ring grommets with hole saw size 1 7/8 inch. Its is slightly bigger than the existing hole and slightly smaller than the o-ring....please pm us if you have any further questions....thank you
1.$60 for 6 o-rings
2.$90 to add oem valve cover gaskets (both side)
3.$100 to add oem pcv valve and seal
*above prices are shipped to lower 48 states.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So I got my spark plugs changed today...