G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Why my brakes are much weaker now ?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why my brakes are much weaker now ?!

My car used to make noises when I applied the brake and i took my car to a mechanic he said the pads are not good and the rotors need to be cut.

I changed the pads to original Infiniti pads and they cut the rotos for me but when I drove the car the brakes are much weaker I mean when I used to hit the brake it would stop the car harshly and faster which was very good. now its like a Honda Brake !

whats the reason ? is it just because they are new and I have to wait or what ?

please advice.
thanks.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Make sure to Bed in the Brakes and that should help with performance. Make sure there is no air in the lines by bleeding it. Did you flush out the fluids or just do a PAD SLAP and "machine / turn" the rotors (not CUT the rotor but say it with me MACHINE).

"After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop.When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is compete."

Old 06-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Also, when bedding the brakes make sure not to "ride the brakes". As faiz23 quoted, you don't want to come to a complete stop, but also make sure you get off the brakes fairly quickly.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by agidley
Also, when bedding the brakes make sure not to "ride the brakes". As faiz23 quoted, you don't want to come to a complete stop, but also make sure you get off the brakes fairly quickly.
And try to do it when there is little traffic around.. they didn't much care for me that day..

I was wondering how many people would actually know what I was doing, and how many thought I was a nut cake.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 PM
What do u mean by "Bed in the Brakes" ?

I dont quite understand what you mean by this also :

"Make sure there is no air in the lines by bleeding it"

Im sorry I dont know anything about cars, the mechanic did all the work.
can you please explain better ?

they send the rotors to different place to cut and then brought it back and installed it with original infiniti pads.

Originally Posted by faiz23
Make sure to Bed in the Brakes and that should help with performance. Make sure there is no air in the lines by bleeding it. Did you flush out the fluids or just do a PAD SLAP and "machine / turn" the rotors (not CUT the rotor but say it with me MACHINE).

"After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop.When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is compete."

Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by sinasystem
What do u mean by "Bed in the Brakes" ?

Hawk HPS bed-in instructions

Old 06-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
My car used to make noises when I applied the brake and i took my car to a mechanic he said the pads are not good and the rotors need to be cut.
I changed the pads to original Infiniti pads and they cut the rotors for me but when I drove the car the brakes are much weaker I mean when I used to hit the brake it would stop the car harshly and faster which was very good. now its like a Honda Brake !
whats the reason ? is it just because they are new and I have to wait or what ? please advice. thanks.
sinasystem installed OE pads which don't require the "Bed in Process." That's for pads like Hawks where you want the pad compound embedded in your rotors. When your mechanic turned your rotors it's possible they are under the recommended width thus not giving you the pedal feel you're used to. It's possible you'll need new rotors. Ask him if he measured them after they were turned. Also check your brake fluid level but I doubt that's the issue....You can order new rotors here on our MARKETPLACE under vendor brakes for the best price....Good Luck find a new/good trained mechanic!
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 06-11-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 06-11-2011, 03:21 AM
I dont quite understand what you mean by this also :

"Make sure there is no air in the lines by bleeding it"

Im sorry I dont know anything about cars, the mechanic did all the work.
can you please explain better ?

they send the rotors to different place to cut and then brought it back and installed it with original infiniti pads.
So the brakes work by hydraulic fluid under very high pressure. When you press the brake pedal, your causing the master cylinders to pressurize the lines with the brake fluid in them which go to the brake caliper and the pistons then essentially push the brake pads against the rotor, which slows you down.

If you have air bubbles in your brake lines, the pedal will feel very "mushy" since you're just pushing the brake fluid into those air pockets, and not actually pressurizing the caliper. To get rid of the air, you have to "bleed your brakes" of all the air. To do so, you basically force the brake fluid through the system with the air pockets and slowly add fluid to the reservoir. If you do it right, you won't be adding any new air pockets, and you push all the existing air pockets through the system and then out entirely. If you don't know much about cars, I wouldn't recommend doing that yourself. It's also probably not terribly necessary unless you're sure that you have a lot of air in the lines.

There could be some other reasons for the brakes to feel weak, though if the pads don't need to be bedded in, then my next guess would be air pockets in the lines. Also, you may want to ask your mechanic what the final thickness of the turned rotors was. There's a minimum thickness for rotors and OEM blank rotors are usually fairly cheap, so I would personally have suggested just buying new rotors instead of turning the ones you have.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Thank you all guys for the good information.
I'll try the "Bed in the Brakes" process and will let you know.
also how much is it gonna cost me to change all 4 rotors ? (approximately)

Old 06-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Either the rotors were too thin to be machined again, or he somehow got air in the brake lines.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Thank you all guys for the good information.
I'll try the "Bed in the Brakes" process and will let you know.
also how much is it gonna cost me to change all 4 rotors ? (approximately)
Rotors

Old 06-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 239 Likes on 159 Posts
If you're talking about stopping distance... then *shrug*

If you're talking about peddle feel then bleed the brakes.

As for bedding he's already past that stage.. But the idea of bedding is just heating up your brakes and cooling them back down again. a much better way to cool them is by driving normally a few miles after you bed them.

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...-shipping.html

- Eric
626-592-3103