G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Something Every G owner should Know!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Never used 93octane always 87 octane with lucas, never had an issue no knocking etc.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
If you guys do the math and break it down for the cost difference it is very small in relation to the effects. You will usually loose 1-2mpg when switching to fuel that is not optimized for vehicles. You will get less detergents which means dirty fuel injectors, pistons and other internal parts. I usually shop around and make sure I go to the next town (5 miles) where gas is cheaper by 20cents. I am sure you could cut out other things in your life to make up for the difference in gas. I think I would rather have 93 octane from Sams clubs than 87 octane from somewhere else. You will get more power from the engine and better response from your car. If you want to keep using 87 octane I would recommend truly saving money and getting rid of the "G35" for a prius.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
Turn in your keys..... cuz you fail @ being an Infiniti owner!

The following 2 users liked this post by G2FLIP4:
Hotdawwgman (07-12-2011), Xet (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
wow! this is a special thread.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Short bus thread!

Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
omgoodness

Old 07-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Y'all are just plain rude. Yes, his change in fuel isn't likely the cause for the light going away. But all of you stating to "only" put premium in your car don't know what you're talking about. Go do some research and you'll find lots of papers out there that discuss the facts that cars that "recommend" premium don't need it. If it's recommended and not required, there are two fuel maps in the ECU program to allow for the use of either type. So there should be no damage from using either.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by lefizzet
+1 i loled when i saw that.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by GAU-8
Y'all are just plain rude. Yes, his change in fuel isn't likely the cause for the light going away. But all of you stating to "only" put premium in your car don't know what you're talking about. Go do some research and you'll find lots of papers out there that discuss the facts that cars that "recommend" premium don't need it. If it's recommended and not required, there are two fuel maps in the ECU program to allow for the use of either type. So there should be no damage from using either.
yeah but putting premium in can never hurt, but putting a lower octane gas can so why push the envelope. but yeah guys, no need to flame him too much he was just letting his fellow drivers know of his issue and he himself figured it out. no need for the relentless bashing, although the pictures are funny...

Old 07-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's be nice to each other.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CantDieLS
yeah but putting premium in can never hurt, but putting a lower octane gas can so why push the envelope. but yeah guys, no need to flame him too much he was just letting his fellow drivers know of his issue and he himself figured it out. no need for the relentless bashing, although the pictures are funny...
You're right - it couldn't hurt. Why? Because it's mapped to run on premium. But it also can't hurt to run 87. Again, why? Because it's mapped for it too. There are so many myths out there that people swear by that stemmed from old technology practices. Like changing your oil every 3000 miles. Not necessary any longer with new engine designs unless the manufacturer dictates otherwise. That myth stemmed from older design motors having loose tolerances and low grade metals used. It couldn't hurt to change your oil every 3000 miles, but why? If the oil can protect for 5000 or 7500 miles effectively, you're simply pissing your money away by changing your oil so soon. Back on task, though. I've been using 87 for the past 4 months since the cost of fuel has been so high. I have ZERO issues other than a reduction in seat of the pants power. Gas mileage is unchanged. I do mixed driving and some very spirited pedaling. Not even a half mpg change as of yet.

To the OP, if this issue comes back, try replacing your gas cap before doing anything else. They're meant to seal the fuel system to allow it to pressurize to properly work. If the seal inside the cap has failed or is about to fail, you run into what you had happen. Caps are the cheapest and easiest part of the evap system to replace while troubleshooting the cause of your problem. The biggest thing you will see with switching from high octane to low octane fuel is a slight reduction in power and throttle response. Lower octane fuel requires the fuel trim and timing to be pulled back to prevent pinging or spark knock. Try going back to 87 for a couple tanks and see if the light returns.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
i believe the manual states the sedan u can put lower grade but for the coupe premium only

Old 07-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Please dont cheap out on gas, or you dont deserve to drive an Infiniti. There is a reason why the manual says to put 93 Octane gas in your car!

Thanks for your post though =)

Old 07-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Haha it's pathetic how you guys go out and buy a g35 to have a sporty car that you can get have getting on the gas with and then you won't pay an extra few $ every refill. Stop being a cheapass or get a prius.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by GAU-8
You're right - it couldn't hurt. Why? Because it's mapped to run on premium. But it also can't hurt to run 87. Again, why? Because it's mapped for it too. There are so many myths out there that people swear by that stemmed from old technology practices. Like changing your oil every 3000 miles. Not necessary any longer with new engine designs unless the manufacturer dictates otherwise. That myth stemmed from older design motors having loose tolerances and low grade metals used. It couldn't hurt to change your oil every 3000 miles, but why? If the oil can protect for 5000 or 7500 miles effectively, you're simply pissing your money away by changing your oil so soon. Back on task, though. I've been using 87 for the past 4 months since the cost of fuel has been so high. I have ZERO issues other than a reduction in seat of the pants power. Gas mileage is unchanged. I do mixed driving and some very spirited pedaling. Not even a half mpg change as of yet.

To the OP, if this issue comes back, try replacing your gas cap before doing anything else. They're meant to seal the fuel system to allow it to pressurize to properly work. If the seal inside the cap has failed or is about to fail, you run into what you had happen. Caps are the cheapest and easiest part of the evap system to replace while troubleshooting the cause of your problem. The biggest thing you will see with switching from high octane to low octane fuel is a slight reduction in power and throttle response. Lower octane fuel requires the fuel trim and timing to be pulled back to prevent pinging or spark knock. Try going back to 87 for a couple tanks and see if the light returns.
listen no need to cause an argument but why buy a nice car then cheap out on maintaining it? You just said putting a lower octance didnt change ur gas mileage, but it felt slower and sluggish... why would you want to do that? to save $2.50 on a fill up? it just doesnt make sense to do
to the OP keep using premium bc thats what our car calls for, and yes the gas cap can throw a CEL and is the first thing to check when a problem like this arises.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Something Every G owner should Know!