G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Something Every G owner should Know!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^ I actually just reread OP's original post, and he claims his CEL has been on for six weeks until he recently filled up with premium...

Originally Posted by jon121587@yahoo
Ok ive been using 88 midgrade and 86 unleaded gas for about 2 months and got a Check Engine light that freaked me out. The code was PO 0442 meaning there is a leak in my EVAP system (small Leak) So i figured it would have been maybe a gas cap or of course a leak in the lines. Yesterday i filled up with 91 premium just to put in not thinking that would shut my Check engine light and for about 20 miles on my way into town it shut off after bieng on for about a month an a half. So im guessing maybe thats why i got the check engine light. Just wanted to let some of you maybe that have thier check engine light that this could be the reason because of a lower octane. Just wanted to see if this helps any one

Old 07-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CantDieLS
i was wondering if you would chime in again haha. Thats interesting, i really didnt think a lower octane in our cars could throw a CEL. Where did you get the code from? was it at a shop or do you have a tuner? Bc shops generally reset it so the CEL goes away. did you hear any knocking when you used the 87 fuel? or anything that felt/sounded out of the ordinary?

yea its funny i try to give some info maybe some helpful info and i get flamed on. We all are G owners and all have our opinons. i was just tying to put maybe some useful info thats it. Yea i got the code read from autozone and No didnt hear any type of knocking car ran good no problems just that irrating CEL light. And yea i had the light on for about 6 weeks so i kno for a fact it had to be the gas.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Small LEAK = Small LEAK.... Not a ping or knock code.

Would not be the gas that caused the issue... Regardless, I am glad that you solved your issue. As for the flamer's don't mind them.... You're just new (don't get all worked up you'll be fine).

Old 07-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
As it stands, I broke out the manual and did some reading. It appears, based on the OP's car being a coupe that those are only mapped for premium. Specific instructions in the manual on how to run the car. On sedans, however, they can run on both 87 and 91, thus supporting my point that there are two maps for the fuel grades. I read that when I first bought the car and then noted the next paragraph said for coupes so I just skipped over that as it didn't pertain to my car. So I was wrong concerning the OP's thread, but right on my position pertaining to my car. It's simple.....they can't suggest you can run 87 if it will cause long term damage. I'm not being a cheap a$$. I'm redirecting my funds to clear debts faster. I don't NEED premium to get to and from work and the occasional jaunt across town. But I do NEED that $100 extra to get debt free sooner. I've shaved my car payments by adding a year to my note, changed car insurance carriers and saved nearly $600/yr doing that. I got my satellite provider to drop my payment $30/mo in order to keep my business. I got rid of my home phone line. Lots of other places that I've tightened the spending belt. All of this adds up. All that savings goes to my credit cards now. This should be another thread entirely, really. You all say I'm being cheap and hurting my car. Whatever. My manual says 87 is fine. My wallet likes that idea for now. My debt disappears faster. I'm happy.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jon121587@yahoo
And yea i had the light on for about 6 weeks so i kno for a fact it had to be the gas.
#thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But using gas grade not prefered on manual will have negative results too