G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Something Every G owner should Know!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CantDieLS
listen no need to cause an argument but why buy a nice car then cheap out on maintaining it? You just said putting a lower octance didnt change ur gas mileage, but it felt slower and sluggish... why would you want to do that? to save $2.50 on a fill up? it just doesnt make sense to do
to the OP keep using premium bc thats what our car calls for, and yes the gas cap can throw a CEL and is the first thing to check when a problem like this arises.
Not trying to argue either. But your response only validated my comment (in bold). It felt slower but got the same gas mileage. So why pay for more expensive fuel when it didn't IMPROVE anything other than faster throttle response and quicker off the line? If you like to race the guy next to you from stop light to stop light, go on with your bad self. If that's what it takes to make you feel better about buying this kind of car, knock yourself out. As for me, I'm not red light racing so why do I need that 10 extra horsepower? I still get from point A to point B and don't waste money doing it. FWIW I refill 3X/month. And I have 2 vehicles to fuel. So using regular nets me nearly $9/mo savings on just the G, multiplied by 12 months. That's a bit of cash. Also, FWIW, when I do go to the track, I fill up with premium to get that extra bit of power, where it's needed, when it's needed.

Last edited by GAU-8; 07-12-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: because I'm bad at math
Old 07-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Xet
Haha it's pathetic how you guys go out and buy a g35 to have a sporty car that you can get have getting on the gas with and then you won't pay an extra few $ every refill. Stop being a cheapass or get a prius.
I did use premium when I could afford to do so. I'm trying to clear some debts before I retire from the military. Every penny counts right now, since I'm going on a credit card diet and using cash only for purchases. Not that I need to explain my position to you. I've owned this car for over 2 years and fed it premium until only recently. So your solution is to sell my car which won't sell for more than what I owe on it and turn around and buy a $35-40K car that will take more than 10 years to see a cost benefit on it. You, sir, are bad at math. I never said to go to low grade fuel for "efficiency". I got an apple and you got an orange. How do those two compare?

Duh.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you don't pay $10 a gallon for 98 octane race gas then you're just a G35 poseur.

BFD! Get over yourselves.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Well, you CAN run 87, but you should run 93 for reasons already stated in this thread.

The reason: running a lower octane fuel will spur pre-ignition [knock]. The car's knock sensors will pick this up and retard timing. So the car is compensating but it comes at the expense of performance. This will range from minor to significant power losses. Additionally, over time you are exposing your motor to much unneeded knock which could lead to failure.

If you buy a car that recommends premium, bone up and use it. It's not that much more. If you can't afford it get another car. Our cars aren't as glamorous as they once were but still need premium gasoline. They have pretty high CRs and have more advanced timing than other VQ35s used in lesser platforms (altima, murano).

Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by GAU-8
I did use premium when I could afford to do so. I'm trying to clear some debts before I retire from the military. Every penny counts right now, since I'm going on a credit card diet and using cash only for purchases. Not that I need to explain my position to you. I've owned this car for over 2 years and fed it premium until only recently. So your solution is to sell my car which won't sell for more than what I owe on it and turn around and buy a $35-40K car that will take more than 10 years to see a cost benefit on it. You, sir, are bad at math. I never said to go to low grade fuel for "efficiency". I got an apple and you got an orange. How do those two compare?

Duh.
1. If you were so cheap I doubt you would buy a new prius that cost $40k in the first place.
2. If you aren't driving enough for it to make a difference in less than 10 years then you really don't have anything to complain about with the extra $5 for premium each fill than regular.

Go ahead and keep on shorting your car because a few hundred a year max is going to cost you so much... might as well give up the dollar menu too, you'll save more.

Do whatever you want, just don't come back and complain if it causes problems in the future.

Last edited by Xet; 07-12-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:49 PM
I wasn't complaining, so **** off.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Xet
I wasn't complaining, so **** off.
lol don't get all bent out of shape, what do you expect? of course people are going to call you out for running regular gas when it barely costs anymore than premium? you are on a car enthusiast forum, we care about our cars and don't like to do something that could so easily damage our cars just to save a few bucks.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:51 PM
It won't damage your car for crying out loud!!! Jeebus have mercy on knuckleheads. If it is mapped for both kinds of fuel, it will handle it just fine. It's when people put premium in a car that requires (or states in the owner's manual) the use of 87 or people that have a "premium only" car that uses 87 that can realize problems down the road. Get it through your thick skull that when an option is present, it can be used with no ill effects.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Thanks for the "Heads Up" if I'm ever challenged enough to put poor quality or low grade gas in my coupe I'll know how to fix the "check engine soon" error code.
Gary
This.

I feel as if roughly 1 of 2 people who are buying G35s nowadays are mindless twits.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In the 4 stroke combustion process there is the intake , compression, power, and exhaust strokes. During the compression stroke and air fuel mixture is compressed before a spark plug ignites the mixture to produce the power stroke. If the fuel is of too low an octane rating for the compression in the cylinder, then it may pre-ignite, and cause engine pinging which when constant, can severely damage an engine.
The G35 is equipped with a knock sensor to detect this phenomenon. When the sensor picks up engine knock/pinging, it retards the timing, which allows for less compression by having the spark set-off the air fuel mixture sooner. As a result, you get less power from the same fuel. /////its your choice to use what you want and what ever happens later happens.......one of the best nissan motors v6 3000......

The following users liked this post:
hdmark (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Xet
It won't damage your car for crying out loud!!! Jeebus have mercy on knuckleheads. If it is mapped for both kinds of fuel, it will handle it just fine. It's when people put premium in a car that requires (or states in the owner's manual) the use of 87 or people that have a "premium only" car that uses 87 that can realize problems down the road. Get it through your thick skull that when an option is present, it can be used with no ill effects.
Go drive your car hard like it was made to be able to do with your **** gas and then come back and try to tell me that ****. Sure you might squeek by babying your car, but who knows if that lower grade may cause your engine problems in the long term, or even the long long term. Is a few hundred bucks worth the risk?

Last edited by Xet; 07-13-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:38 AM
The only reason why your car can run on 87 is because of the knock sensor which automatically retards the timing when it senses knock so in other words, the engine still knocks before it can tell it self that it is using lower fuel. That isn't good you idiots. And that also does not mean it is mapped to run 87. Lets say for example, your knock sensor goes out, and you run 87, say bye bye to your engine, what are you going to do then? The VQ35DE is mapped to run exactly 91 or higher. It just gives you that option to run 87 just in case.

So stop being a cheap *** because saving 9 bucks a month isn't **** to be honest. Compared to possibly hundreds may even a new engine in repairs if your knock sensor goes bad. Again, don't buy a premium car if you're going to cheapskate on gas!

The following users liked this post:
hdmark (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
These cars are only mapped to run on 87 if the situation required it, like if 91+ isn't available at the time. Long term usage is not recommended.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by Eric@TCGMiami
You got the check engine light because the gas cap was loose, or because you filled the tank with the car on/or key in ignition.

Not because of Gas grade.
Actually the gas cap was not loose i click it 3 times evry fillup

Old 07-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Not trying to argue either. But your response only validated my comment (in bold). It felt slower but got the same gas mileage. So why pay for more expensive fuel when it didn't IMPROVE anything other than faster throttle response and quicker off the line? If you like to race the guy next to you from stop light to stop light, go on with your bad self. If that's what it takes to make you feel better about buying this kind of car, knock yourself out. As for me, I'm not red light racing so why do I need that 10 extra horsepower? I still get from point A to point B and don't waste money doing it. FWIW I refill 3X/month. And I have 2 vehicles to fuel. So using regular nets me nearly $9/mo savings on just the G, multiplied by 12 months. That's a bit of cash. Also, FWIW, when I do go to the track, I fill up with premium to get that extra bit of power, where it's needed, when it's needed.
it just doesnt make sense to me to sacrifice those things for such little money, and it has nothing to do with racing from light to light (which is only for dumba**es. I just like me car to run the best it can and that means maintaining it well and using the proper fluids and parts. I forget that not every one lives in NJ where we have "cheap" gas and $100 a year isa nice savings when you think nothing can go wrong and ur not infatuated with performance. But the fact of the matter is saving that 100 bones a year isnt worth the problems down the line that will most likely occur when they can be so easliy avoided. Also sorry to hear about finacial troubles, it sucks for everyone. But before you post stuff that goes against what in generally accepted as proper for our vehicles youd better get the flame suit ready.

Originally Posted by herrschaft
These cars are only mapped to run on 87 if the situation required it, like if 91+ isn't available at the time. Long term usage is not recommended.
+1 it can just not a good idea if it can be avoided

Originally Posted by jon121587@yahoo
Actually the gas cap was not loose i click it 3 times evry fillup
i was wondering if you would chime in again haha. Thats interesting, i really didnt think a lower octane in our cars could throw a CEL. Where did you get the code from? was it at a shop or do you have a tuner? Bc shops generally reset it so the CEL goes away. did you hear any knocking when you used the 87 fuel? or anything that felt/sounded out of the ordinary?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Something Every G owner should Know!