G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Which paint is the best for an OEM grill?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which paint is the best for an OEM grill?

Hey guys, i was thinking about painting my oem grill black but leaving the emblem silver. I know a handfull of you guys have done the same, and i was just wondering which paint you guys have used in order to achieve the best looking results?

Old 08-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
This is what I did...

Originally Posted by Mark2K8
Just did mine:

Materials:

Grill as it is. Yeah it has some chips and scratches here and there. SPent 4 hours the day before removing the plasti-dip i had on.

After sanding: (used 220 grit. Spent 2 hours sanding it. Smooth as a baby's bottom

Primer (4 layers)

Paint (bout 6-7 layers)

End product:

Overall was happy with it. I did a pretty decent job id say. No obvious paint dripping, uneven layers e.t.c.

Had plasti-dip before, but wasn't really digging the flat matte plastic look. With this its nice and glossy, and still looks chromish.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Anything but plastidip.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:34 PM
my experience so far

I had a painted glossy black oem grill, then I thought I'd try a matte black. but I'm feeling like too many G's have a painted black grill. I'm thinking about color matching the grill to my car next.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Mark2K8
This is what I did...
Thanks man this is exactly what i was looking for, hopefully mine comes out as good as yours did haha.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by zhangweidai
I'm thinking about color matching the grill to my car next.
I was thinking of doing that with my DG except go a few shades darker. OP I think any duplicolor or quality paint should be fine. BUT with all body work the most intensive part is the prep work and on quality work it shows! Take you time and do it right the first time and your grill will look great!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by LordFappington
Anything but plastidip.
I had mine plasti-dipped before I painted it with real paint. It wasn't bad. Gives a matte look to it, but after a couple months, I preferred mine to be glossy. It was a huge bitch to peel off the plasti-dip.

Originally Posted by zhangweidai
I had a painted glossy black oem grill, then I thought I'd try a matte black. but I'm feeling like too many G's have a painted black grill. I'm thinking about color matching the grill to my car next.
I don't think I've seen any color matched grills. Got any links to some?

Originally Posted by Austin420
Thanks man this is exactly what i was looking for, hopefully mine comes out as good as yours did haha.
No problem

Originally Posted by walshtj
I was thinking of doing that with my DG except go a few shades darker. OP I think any duplicolor or quality paint should be fine. BUT with all body work the most intensive part is the prep work and on quality work it shows! Take you time and do it right the first time and your grill will look great!
This.

You're gonna spend a good hour or 2 sanding it.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
Best is automotive basecoat/clearcoat

Even better yet, the new waterborne automotive paints

/end thread

Any other answer is incorrect. Do they paint cars with Plastidip or spray paint from the factory? No!!!! Because it doesn't hold up. Best paint for anything automotive is automotive paint....

Spray paint and Plastidip arent activated with catalysts. Therefore they dont cure properly or as durable like bc/cc

Spray paint on a car is a joke, Plastidip on a car is an even bigger joke.

And before all you sallys get all butt hurt... He asked what paint gives the best results. If you think its anything but automotive bc/cc, youre gravely mistaken. You want your paint to look like glass, not some eggshell-orange peel-fish eyed crap that looked like a retard painted it.

Last edited by G2FLIP4; 08-01-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Plastidip! 5 months and still holdin strong and lookin great.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G2FLIP4
Best is automotive basecoat/clearcoat

Even better yet, the new waterborne automotive paints

/end thread

Any other answer is incorrect. Do they paint cars with Plastidip or spray paint from the factory? No!!!! Because it doesn't hold up. Best paint for anything automotive is automotive paint....

Spray paint and Plastidip arent activated with catalysts. Therefore they dont cure properly or as durable like bc/cc

Spray paint on a car is a joke, Plastidip on a car is an even bigger joke.

And before all you sallys get all butt hurt... He asked what paint gives the best results. If you think its anything but automotive bc/cc, youre gravely mistaken. You want your paint to look like glass, not some eggshell-orange peel-fish eyed crap that looked like a retard painted it.
+1. Had mine done in OB by my buddies body shop and looks like it came factory. Been on the car for 2 years now with no paint issues. OP spend the little extra and get it done right.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
automotive would be nice if you wanna pony up the cash.

but i used duplicolor primer and matte black and it looks great. i used to work on fiberglass/gelcoat so i'm kinda **** about that kinda stuff, but for being something that is gonna get blasted with rocks and bugs, then i think bodyshop stuff is a little overboard....if it's your daily driver.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by IIIHawKIII
automotive would be nice if you wanna pony up the cash.

but i used duplicolor primer and matte black and it looks great. i used to work on fiberglass/gelcoat so i'm kinda **** about that kinda stuff, but for being something that is gonna get blasted with rocks and bugs, then i think bodyshop stuff is a little overboard....if it's your daily driver.
This

Save the $$$ you'd spend on grill paint and use it on another mod.