G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Installing Coils as an amateur :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
i would get some PB Blaster and try and get some on your strut tower bolts, and your suspension bolts that you are gonna take off. shoot it on there the night before if you can.

just to make things a little easier.

The following users liked this post:
ThatOneDude (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
You should be fine. I've ripped my G's suspension apart plenty of times. The first time is always the hardest. You'll probably spend double time the first then any of the following times. A lot of trial and error, but in the end you should be okay. As others have stated: make sure you have some PB blaster, a good breaker bar, a ft-lb torque wrench, a good set of sockets, an impact gun helps... Oh, and plenty of beer. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. I consider myself semi-pro at suspension work on the G at this point.

ThatOneDude (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts
No idea what PB blaster is but I'll fix that with google in a sec. I am alcohol free >______> This is planned for Wednesday night or Thursday night, so plenty of time for more research and ****. Also plenty of time for all you bastards to get some free thumbs! xd

Going to go through all my toys and see if I have a socket for each recommended size tonight...

Old 08-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatOneDude
No idea what PB blaster is but I'll fix that with google in a sec. I am alcohol free >______> This is planned for Wednesday night or Thursday night, so plenty of time for more research and ****. Also plenty of time for all you bastards to get some free thumbs! xd

Going to go through all my toys and see if I have a socket for each recommended size tonight...
Any auto parts store should carry it such as autozone, kragen, etc.

ThatOneDude (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Yeeeeap. Not worried about finding it, just not sure what I have or what my dad has, so I need to check, and then I can take some things from work (not stealing of course) the next day since there are a lot of tools there as well. Probably won't need to buy anything, except peanutbutter blaster and uhh... impact gun? Not entirely sure of that either.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
An impact gun would make it a lot easier to break a few of the nuts loose. Beyond that it's not that bad. I have swapped my suspension a few times and on a few friends cars. All but once it went smoothly, we had to take a friends car down to a local shop to get a few nuts loose.
I skimmed through the posts as I scrolled down so sorry if I am being redundant. If you are doing this on Wed. I would go out a few days prior and spray the nuts with PB blaster (similar tro WD-40).

+1 on the laptop, It has come in handy a few times.
Breaker bar and 1/2 drive/sockets.
and you have a friend coming over. It should go pretty smoothly.

ThatOneDude (08-20-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 09:55 AM
PB blaster is a penetrating oil/lubricant. it's "like" WD-40 only....not. old school looking writing on the can, yellow lid. it is the good stuff. don't try to save a dollar and go with Uncle Petey's Super Brand Oil of Cheapness.

and if you are using an impact...make sure you are using impact sockets. they are usually black.

OEM lugs are 13/16ths. if you wanna use your OEM lug nut wrench it's ok...but 1. your hand will hate you for the rest of the day. 2. you won't be able to torque them back to spec. 80 ft/lbs.

the best thing i found with my OEM rays was a 3/8 drive torque wrench, 6in extension, and a 13/16th deep well spark plug socket. the spark plug socket has the little rubber thing in there so you don't ding up your lugs, and they don't fall way into the socket. if you don't get the extension, you will hit the wheels. i got the stuff at harbor freight, bout 40 bucks, if that.

ThatOneDude (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't be afraid to muscle through certain areas.

Removing that strut bolt and realigning your coils to put it
Back might be a pain. +10 on PB blaster. Let it soak in the
Bolt threads.

ThatOneDude (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 11:13 AM
also, tape up your fender with the blue masking tape so you don't scratch it up when you are trying to get the strut out.

one thing i missed when i was doing mine was that you actually take the endlink bolt out of the hole. i just thought you had to take the nut off....why i thought that...i dunno, but i'm just trying to remember everything i got stuck on to help you out.

ThatOneDude (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DGS
You come from Hondas I am assuming?
haha no....My last car was a lexus and I did most of the modding work myself, very easy to work on compared to the G. It's just that the G you need to take the time to take out parts that are in the way of whatever you really want to take out.

ThatOneDude (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts
Best thing of all dude, you can post pics if you get stuck and there are thousands of us here that can guide you.

ThatOneDude (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Yeeeeah... Chances are y'all won't be online since I only ever home at night. So chances are posting pictures won't get me any help replies fast enough for work the next morning But it's still worth trying anyways.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
i installed my coilovers all alone in the driveway with a pair of jackstands/oem jack(which i used to compress the front a arm instead of removing it to get the shock/spring out) a floor hydraulic jack..a set of ratcheting wrenches from harbor freight($13)..a socket set and an electric impact gun from HF for $40..and i had never worked on any cars suspension before that...the electric impact gun is a good investment for this kinda thing and its not pricey cause without it i couldnt have gotten the bottom bolts loose from the shocks.

you'll do just fine! just be careful and take your time. took me 5 hours with a few breaks being the first time i had ever worked on it..now i can have all 4 corners apart and adjust height in 2

ThatOneDude (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Good luck and let us know how it went. I installed the same coilovers myself two years ago or so and it was also my first time. Nothing really difficult like others have mentioned other than some tight nuts. Only tips I can give you as an owner of the Pro5 is, do maximum drop all around and if you are planning to get the TEAS then do it now and install it at the same time. It's a very worthwhile investment if you DD your car.

ThatOneDude (08-22-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 AM
My G is my DD (and my ONLY car xd), so I guess that makes the TEAS perfect for me? o.o. I'll look into it a great deal (excessive research) tonight since I have the install planned for Wednesday or Thursday night; Don't wanna delay it any more unless TEAS is a good enough reason. I'm too excited. xd

Thanks; more tips welcome!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing Coils as an amateur :(