G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Installing Coils as an amateur :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
one thing I experienced is if you don't have all the part for your car just wait it out. I put my coilovers and rims on without a camber and now it's taking me forever to get a camber kit. Good luck though installation should be very easy. If you're not confident take it to a shop. the professional work will be well worth it.

The following users liked this post:
ThatOneDude (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts
That's pretty much my mindset at the moment. I want to lower my car very badly (riding on 20's with stock suspension always makes me feel silly... But my OEM rims got ****ed up so I decided I would just get the wheels that I've been avoiding) But then the TEAS thing comes up, and then the Camber thing x_x. I mean, sure I can install them later if I need to get the extra mulah, but the thing is that if I did drop the car now and just settled for it, then the tire budget might cut into the funds for camber and ****, so then the delay would be bigger and I'd have to start dying my hair back to black after having to deal with all of that when I could've just built more patience.

Trying to avoid silly regrets here :-p Thanks again everyone, for the encouragement, support, suggestions, solutions, tips, hints, nudes that some of you PM'd me, reminders, and everything.
♥ Some homo.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 239 Likes on 159 Posts
Adjustable Camber Arm takes like 10min to install.. Dont worry about it get the coils on you'll still need to let the springs set before you do an alignment anyways.

ThatOneDude (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Well, that is kind of a relief. Still, it's mostly the money that I'm trippin' over. I want to make sure I can get good stuff on all four corners. This car is my daily. Quality camber equips plus the Tanabe Electric Active Suspension is a pretty hefty investment (that I believe is worth it) Plus it seems like it'll be difficult to find a deal on the TEAS.

I am poor; please don't see me as a bad person xd

Old 08-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
TEAS isn't necessary at all.. =X I mean if you're buying it new you could instead pick up a good set of control arms and rear camber arm as well as a toe-bolt for the rear too..

Why do you want TEAS for?

ThatOneDude (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 12:06 PM
I think the pleasure I'll get out of it would be worth it and should end up being a great investment for my daily driver, especially considering the range of driving styles I have (sometimes I stay literally 60mph speedlimit on highway, othertimes I'm making tight squeezes at 80mph and everyone hates me...) I do realize it isn't necessary. Neither are the coilovers that I already bought, haha. It's just something that'd make me satisfied.

You do, however, sway my mind. I should just get the coils on... It literally seems like you know best, lol.

Also on a side note, I spoke with you about replacing my HID bulb in my foglight housing; I'll try to get you the details tonight.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
okie..

Well about 4-5 years back a bunch of guys had the TEIN coils with EDFC and honestly the only time they used it was the adjust it to soft/soft when the girlie gets in the car.. other then that they left it at the ideal settings. Example I really never adjust my BCs unless I get bored (I leave it on soft rear stiff front). If I was to redo it I would've never drilled the holes for the extended adjusters in the rear.

Just saying if you're tight on money for now the money spent on the control module is better off going to a good camber kit.. You can always install the TEAS afterwards if you want it.. Taking the struts on and off isn't hard at all..

Also another tip the strut bolts go in EASILY without effort.. no need for anything weird... all you need is two jacks and a set of eyes.. use the second jack to line up the strut to the arm (compress the spring).. once you have it aligned there's no need to "pound" the bolt back in it'll easily side in with 0 effort. Finally, do not over torque/tighten things.

ThatOneDude (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Your half finished ellipsis' do wonders in making me feel stupid xd.

But yeah, to be honest I think everyone else would say the same thing if they knew I was tight on money. You're right, and I will definitely be skipping the TEAS for a long time; might not even ever get it :-p. Camber kit, however... Big bucks still, and a lotta **** jumped into my life but we'll see how long it takes Thanks sir.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:18 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Eric,

I don't know much about the EDFC but the TEAS system has active dampening adjustments that are tied to vehicle speed. These settings are fully programmable so you can set the coils to stiffen as speed increases. It's a cool system but at over $600 MSRP I'm still debating whether I want it or not for my coils.

ThatOneDude (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Eric,

I don't know much about the EDFC but the TEAS system has active dampening adjustments that are tied to vehicle speed. These settings are fully programmable so you can set the coils to stiffen as speed increases. It's a cool system but at over $600 MSRP I'm still debating whether I want it or not for my coils.
Yeeeeeah all of the reviews/stories I read of them seem so cool x____x.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
If you've played around with the dampening on your coilover then you will know how great of a difference minimum to maximum feels. I spend 85% of my time on softest on all four corners but when I push it I switch over to my preset auto adjustment that ranges from 10-16 (16 being stiffest) with a slightly stiffer front. The suspension dynamics are much different and I can tell you that anything between 10-16 to me is not very street friendly and uncomfortable, perhaps I'm getting old.

It is expensive compared to the EDFC but the cheapest Tein coilovers that can be used with EDFC is much more than the Pro5, so at the end of the day the entire package is relatively affordable. However TEIN is much more common so finding a used set is much easier.

Regardless of those facts, it is still a "nice to have" item and the bare minimum, like i said before, would be rear adjustment for toe and camber when you drop your car. I would agree with Eric that you don't need to install the camber arms or TEAS at the same time if you can't justify or afford it yet. It's merely a time saving situation and you are not paying for anything since you are donig it yourself. I say do it now with what you have and enjoy the install, it'll make you appreciate the parts and your car more.

ThatOneDude (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by gabe3d
If you've played around with the dampening on your coilover then you will know how great of a difference minimum to maximum feels. I spend 85% of my time on softest on all four corners but when I push it I switch over to my preset auto adjustment that ranges from 10-16 (16 being stiffest) with a slightly stiffer front. The suspension dynamics are much different and I can tell you that anything between 10-16 to me is not very street friendly and uncomfortable, perhaps I'm getting old.

It is expensive compared to the EDFC but the cheapest Tein coilovers that can be used with EDFC is much more than the Pro5, so at the end of the day the entire package is relatively affordable. However TEIN is much more common so finding a used set is much easier.

Regardless of those facts, it is still a "nice to have" item and the bare minimum, like i said before, would be rear adjustment for toe and camber when you drop your car. I would agree with Eric that you don't need to install the camber arms or TEAS at the same time if you can't justify or afford it yet. It's merely a time saving situation and you are not paying for anything since you are donig it yourself. I say do it now with what you have and enjoy the install, it'll make you appreciate the parts and your car more.
Heheh, I literally came back to this topic just to look for specifically what the major components are in a camber kit, and you just happen to post at the perfect time!

Edit:
Unfortunately, I still don't know what those are xd. Looks like a vendor just happens to be having a "sale" and here's the products available:

Front camber arms normal price = $565
Tie rod ends normal price = $208
Rear camber links normal price = $245
Rear mid links normal price = $557
Rear toe arms normal price = $245
Rear traction arms normal price = $280
Eccentric lockout kit normal price = $47

Those prices are not the reduced price, and I'll have to PM for pricing. So, bare minimum would be ALL four of those "Rear" pieces? Or only the ones that say Rear camber links and Rear toe arms? Thanks for putting up with my ignorance.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Camber adjustment
http://splparts.com/store/product-info.php?pid227.html

Toes adjustment
option 1 (not common):
http://splparts.com/store/product-info.php?pid229.html

option 2 (most common) cheaper but not SPL (they are made by SPC), this is what I got too:
http://splparts.com/store/product-info.php?pid230.html

Last edited by gabe3d; 08-25-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: better links
ThatOneDude (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 01:10 PM
wohhh! How is it hundreds of dollars cheaper? o.o

Old 08-25-2011, 01:14 PM
btw just updated the links to their store.

option1 and option2 for the toe adjustment achieves similar results by replacing different parts. Option1 is better of course but more expensive. It allows a greater degree of toe adjustment and is a much better way for adjusting and fastening the settings, but is kinda overkill IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing Coils as an amateur :(