G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Ready to start my build need feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ready to start my build need feedback

So i bought my 03 g35 coupe about 2 months ago, it had the sports package so has brembo brakes the rear spoiler but no front lip spoiler. I have a baby due in less than 3 weeks and money is tight. i have been working extra hours to build up this car and want to get it right the first time so any suggestions would be appreciated on the order i should install the parts, better company/parts, and added upgrades from what i have listed.

I think i have worn out the search button on this forum so now its time to see what ya guys think of what i have planned so far.

I will be doing all the installs my self, i want to know my car from the ground up and of course ill have some friends help me on some.

Skunk2 plenum spacer(i think its 5/8, was hard to find the thickness on it but came recomended from Fastlane Autosports 2)
Takeda Intake kit
Greddy SP Elite Exhaust
HnR springs
Pojector Halo headlights
short shifter (havnt chosen a company yet)
Duraflex Type G body kit (not completly sold on this)

If anyone is in the Tacoma, Wa. area and is interested in helping with some installs i wouldnt mind another G enthusiast with me.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Look around the marketplace for good deals but that is a good list. IF u search u can find that most CAIs lose power and tq so u may want to keep the stock intake boxes... Also Motordyne is a very popular company on here, they produce a plenum spacer, exhuast and an amazing version of test pipes, ART pipes.. Check em out. BTW never heard of that body kit before.

The following users liked this post:
Syst (09-01-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
I would go with a motordyne spacer
Ztube
Greddy Exhaust is good I guess never really heard it on a g
And if ur set on doing it right the first time I would go with coilovers not springs
Imo I dont like that body kit but to each his own
N since ur talkin about a short shifter im guessin u have a 6mt so maybe jwt clutch a lightweight fly wheel iunno I have a 5at

Theres my .02

Syst (09-01-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Oh yea and test pipes or hfc sorry for the double post im on my phone

Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 PM
At first i was thinking coilovers but after a bit more research i discovered that coilovers are gonna give me a way stiffer ride than im looking for ... i enjoy the comfort of the G and dont want to have my ride feeling like its going over railroad tracks everytime i hit a pebble or small bumb.
being my daily driver, i do speed around town alot but ill prob rarely use the adjustment feature that coilovers offer.. oh yeah not to mention they are 3-4times the price.
I have never had coilovers so not even sure if this is accurate representation its just what i have read.

i didnt even think about changing the clutch/flywheel yet, that is going to have to be something i look into ty

here is a picture of the body kit

Attached Thumbnails Ready to start my build need feedback-03_g352drtypegcomplete.jpg  
Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts
Yo! I'm in Tacoma all the time (even as I type this). Usually in the ghetto areas. Around Lincoln High School and East Side and stuff. About the body kit; Personally I think it's ugly, but I think it'll be really unique to the entire G community (perhaps for good reason) but if you like it then rock it. Definitely wouldn't hate on it when I see it 'cause it is aggressive as heck.

As far as internals go, I don't know crap lol.

And about ride comfort, a lot of coilovers can be adjust to be even smoother and softer than the oem feel, while still sticking your tires to the ground better. But you're right, they are more expensive. But you get what you pay for! I think Coilovers are so much more worth the price than just lowering springs, but I guess that depends what you want out of your car.

Perhaps I'll see you around.

Syst (09-01-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by walshtj
Look around the marketplace for good deals but that is a good list. IF u search u can find that most CAIs lose power and tq so u may want to keep the stock intake boxes... Also Motordyne is a very popular company on here, they produce a plenum spacer, exhuast and an amazing version of test pipes, ART pipes.. Check em out. BTW never heard of that body kit before.
+1 Agreed. Great advise.
Instead of Takeda Intake kit I'd go with
Z-Tube (oem intake for Zs)
uprev airbox (oem for 05'-07' 6mt Gs)
Test pipes or HFCs will give you great performance too.
Lastly osiris

How low you looking to drop the ride?
I couldn't slam my car so I decided to go with Tein S-techs & Tokico HP shocks.
Less expensive rate than most coilovers.

Syst (09-01-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO body kits on G's just ruin the great look of them. Go for a nismo front, impul sides & chargespeed rear.

As far as the engine upgrades you have planned, all sounds well but go for some test pipes when you buy an exhaust. You won't regret it!

Syst (09-01-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 PM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
you gonna be drivin this thing in snow? cause if so, then i'd stick with springs and a mild drop. i have the eibach pro and love them. the ride is nice with OEM shocks. i'd probably venture to say better. i was like you and wanted to keep the ride comfort of the "luxury sports coupe" not a radio flyer wagon. my buddy got the hR springs and he is really low in front, scrapes a lot. and he's on 20s.

i live in indiana and we get snow here and low cars are a complete joke. that's why my g will be hibernating in my nice warm garage.

as far as the headlights which specific ones are you looking at? and if you haven't, you need to take a gander at LEDmarkers.com some very very nice lights on there. and a really cool dude to deal with.

and in all honesty, you should still be keepin that extra money you are makin for that kid. but i don't know your financial situation, and i'm not passing judgement, just seems like you are gonna be short on time....for quite awhile. keep a cushion of cash around so if you lose your job or something you can still feed your family.

.....wow....i'm gettin old. that was old man advice right there....

and the marketplace on here is awesome.......but.....it's evil too. has a way of making you spend money that isn't in your budget cause "it's a really good deal...I GOTTA GET IT RIGHT MEOW!!!"

Last edited by IIIHawKIII; 08-31-2011 at 09:09 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by IIIHawKIII:
LEDmarkers (08-31-2011), Syst (09-01-2011), ThatOneDude (08-31-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 01:11 AM
haha ya kids first, but im working extra hours just for my own money to burn

Ty all for the great feedback im going to be looking more into these items ya listed.

Im not realy that big of a fan for a body kit either, i was really only looking for sideskirts that would match a stock bumber with added front lip spoiler, It was just hard to find some.

I only wanna drop it an inch or so maybe a bit less than an inch

some of the items that were listed though it seems they may have just been alternatives rather than upgrades to what i have listed but ill dig deeper when i have had more sleep.

Ty again for all the feedback ill repost before i order the parts next week for final feed back if ya wanna keep adding more tips ill keep checking this post before i make my final choices. You guys