G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

some experienced driver advice? bmw z4 2.5i or g35 6mt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some experienced driver advice? bmw z4 2.5i or g35 6mt

Very close to buying a new car and thought this would be a great place to get some good feedback from experienced g35 coupe drivers.

I was very close to buying a bmw z4 2.5i two weeks ago but decided to check out some other car options first. My friend suggested the g35 coupe. And it's definitely now neck and neck with the bmw in my mind.

pros/cons
bmw z4 - 2 seater convertible, incredible handling, good amount of torque at low rpms, small trunk, nice throaty sound, absolutely thrill to drive.

nissan g35 - I love the way the G35 sounds and looks but haven't had a chance to drive the car because I would have to put money down at the dealership to even get behind the wheel. it's more practical with back seats, stronger engine, clean look, great looking wheels.

i know many of you might not like how the bmw z4 looks but i'm just talking performance wise. i'm getting married in 4 months and this is my last chance to drive the roadster/coupe of my dreams before the minivans come rolling in.

has anyone driven the bimmer to compare the handling and acceleration?

Thanks in advance for the help and the opinions!

Old 12-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by benster
Very close to buying a new car and thought this would be a great place to get some good feedback from experienced g35 coupe drivers.

I was very close to buying a bmw z4 2.5i two weeks ago but decided to check out some other car options first. My friend suggested the g35 coupe. And it's definitely now neck and neck with the bmw in my mind.

pros/cons
bmw z4 - 2 seater convertible, incredible handling, good amount of torque at low rpms, small trunk, nice throaty sound, absolutely thrill to drive.

nissan g35 - I love the way the G35 sounds and looks but haven't had a chance to drive the car because I would have to put money down at the dealership to even get behind the wheel. it's more practical with back seats, stronger engine, clean look, great looking wheels.

i know many of you might not like how the bmw z4 looks but i'm just talking performance wise. i'm getting married in 4 months and this is my last chance to drive the roadster/coupe of my dreams before the minivans come rolling in.

I think the first question in eliminating one or the other is do you want a hard top or a convertible? This may end your decision? The two cars in question are very different? I have driven the Z4 3.0 and was pretty impressed with it, but it is a REALLY small car as you mentioned and is much more of a "weekend" car than the G is capable of. The Z4 handles awesome and the 3.0 felt pretty close in power to the G 6mt in that department, I think the 2.5 will lack power compared to the G 6mt? I have a BMW 330i and LOVE it and have always loved BMW's, but in my opinion, the Z4 is sort of a "chicks" car, but this is not to say it is not a nice car. If buying new, BMW's are great as far as maintenance......it's all free and that is a great asset! The G is much more capable of being modded for reasonable money, BMW's cost a fortune to mod! If you ask me, buy the G 6mt over the 2.5 Z4, but if you might be looking at the 330ci ZHP, that would be a tough one! Good luck

Old 12-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I heard the Z4's are not selling well at all....around 300 sales in Nov. vs. 1500 sales last November (see this) .....so you might be able to get a really good deal on it, and get a 3.0 instead of the 2.5.

If you have to get the 2.5, I'd say it is not worth it. Weak engine and about 90 HP less than the G35. You will definitely feel that.

Last edited by P_Diddy; 12-15-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:57 PM
First of all, I think you are comparing apples to oranges. These are completely different cars. But if you insist on comparing...My dad has the 3.0 Z4. It is an awesome little car and very fun to drive. I would definitlely choose it over the coupe if and only if:

1.) You live in a climate where it is warm/sunny year round.
2.) You/your family has another car for more convential purpose
3.) You like to lease or trade in your car every 3 yrs. or less. (Good resale value but not so good longterm reliability)
4.) You get the 3.0 engine.

Good Luck

g4ian

Old 12-15-2004, 06:06 PM
The Z4 will handle better than the G35C, period. The 3.0 will out-accelerate the G35C from a dig, and is even from a roll. I'm not so sure about the 2.5...

Interestingly enough, the Z4 has a sizable aftermarket. This isn't very common for BMWs.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by benster

pros/cons

Umm where exactly do you live? Are you trying to get behind an 05's wheel because I'm almost positive you can get behind an 04 for free...I was a 20 year old kid when I went to test drive the G for the first time and I had no problem getting a Free test drive...I'm located on the east coast so that may or may not make a difference...Now at 22 I'm a proud owner of a 5 month old G35 6MT coupe...Lets put it this way, I've never ever been caught staring at a BMW Z4, however I often find the Z4 owners staring at me and gawking at my G...The reasoning for this? I have no idea, but I have a feeling that if you buy a Z4 you'll soon find out and you'll be able to let us know...

Old 12-15-2004, 06:33 PM
BTW, the Z4 is flaming (flame surfacing design, that is)

Old 12-15-2004, 06:35 PM
MyG37 Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ha i have to agree the look is priceless!! I always assumed it was cuz i look like im 16 and drivin a $40K/car. Never driven a Z4 nor would I, the G is an exceptional car and like it has been said before it's deff. your best buy.. The only BMW to compare to this car is an M3 and even then the G would be my choice..

Old 12-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
The G35 is so damn sexy IMO...sleek curves and looks like luxury.

IMO, the z3 and z4 are girly cars or for overaged guys going through their second mid-life crisis....
no offense to those who own a z3/4...lol

I agree that I don't stare at a Z3/4 for very long... I say "oh that's nice...." when I spot one and then move on.

Just my $0.02...

doc

Old 12-15-2004, 11:10 PM
Very odd that the dealer would require money down to test drive (doesn't even seem legal). Is there another dealer nearby? Best thing to do is to test drive both the same day and then decide.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:19 PM
If a salesperson asks for money to testdrive, go find another salesman. If they all say the same thing, talk to their manager. And if they still give you that crap, yell at them, tell them you were willing to pay MSRP for a fully loaded G35 but now you're going to buy a BMW or find another dealer. Dealers are getting power trips because the G35 is selling so well.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The G35 is around 6 grand less expensive then the Z4. And remember everyone has a key to a convertable.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:46 PM
I was in the exact same situation in October but opted for the G35!

The Z4 2.5 is a great looking and feeling car (plus you can probably get it for a lot under sticker - they had $5000 under sticker in October, which came out to $31k for a premium package, automatic Z4). The exhaust and engine notes are amazing, however, the acceleration DOGS! Still, if you want a serious head turner, Z4's your best bet.

I chose the G35 coupe because I'd like drive my friends with me a bit, the exhaust and engine notes are even MORE sexy, and that it's acceleration was perfect. You also get xenons and tons of other luxury options for a lower price. Additionally, you can probably get 2004 models for close to invoice.

Good luck!

Old 12-16-2004, 04:57 PM
thanks for all the great replies. definitely giving some things to think about. I'm gonna go to a different dealership and get a good drive in. if the handling is close to the z4 and the pull is better....my decision is pretty much made. looking forward to being one happy owner!

Old 12-16-2004, 07:43 PM
I've read online that the skidpad for both cars are equal at .90g

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: some experienced driver advice? bmw z4 2.5i or g35 6mt