G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Realistic Gains?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Realistic Gains?

I've just about finished my exterior mods and am about to begin a few bolt on performance mods. Before I start, I wanted to know if my expectations are somewhat reasonable. Here's my planned mods (I have a 2005 6MT Coupe):

-5/16 Iso thermal MD Spacer
-MREV2
-Z Tube w/ K&N Drop In (already done)
-Berk HFCs
-(possibly a Y pipe)
-Osiris tune

I'm hoping to get between 265-275whp. I live in GA so I'll be getting my tune done at either Forged Performance or Z1 Motorsports.

I've searched a few tune threads and haven't been able to find anyone with the same year G and similar mods. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
seems fairly realistic to me

Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by rdeverett
I've just about finished my exterior mods and am about to begin a few bolt on performance mods. Before I start, I wanted to know if my expectations are somewhat reasonable. Here's my planned mods (I have a 2005 6MT Coupe):
-5/16 Iso thermal MD Spacer
-MREV2
-Z Tube w/ K&N Drop In (already done)
-Berk HFCs
-(possibly a Y pipe)
-Osiris tune
I'm hoping to get between 265-275whp. I live in GA so I'll be getting my tune done at either Forged Performance or Z1 Motorsports. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
All the mods your planning look great....^....with one exception. Don't waste your $$ on a y-pipe when what you really need is a good exhaust system like MotorDynes! Then you'll easily exceed your RWHP goals after your Osiris tune....
Gary

Old 10-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the info!

Sorry Gary, an aftermarket exhaust is one thing you'll never see on my G! I love the stock exhaust note I just want to amplify it a bit- that's the only reason I may get a Y pipe. Even without an aftermarket exhaust, is 275+ whp possible/realistic? It's above my expectations but that would be a nice surprise.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
I've done all the mods you've listed, plus a full dual exhaust. Not sure about my actual rwhp, but i do know it's not significantly faster....especially considering what I spent. From personal experience, don't expect a whole lot once you're all said and done. I've found it's tough to make these cars much quicker than they already are without going FI. I'm throwing around the idea of nitrous now.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
hold on a sec, simply adding a Y pipe will made the exhaust sound louder but keep the same tone?

You could hit 275+ but also matters on what dyno you're running, run on a Dyna-Pack and you'll be over 300

Old 10-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
seems like a very realistic goal, best of luck and be sure to post up your dynos

Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by Jhambor
I've done all the mods you've listed, plus a full dual exhaust. Not sure about my actual rwhp, but i do know it's not significantly faster....especially considering what I spent. From personal experience, don't expect a whole lot once you're all said and done. I've found it's tough to make these cars much quicker than they already are without going FI. I'm throwing around the idea of nitrous now.
Yeah, I don't expect to get race car-like performance after a few bolt-ons but a noticeable difference will be nice. Did you get a tune as well? If so, what kind of numbers did you reach?

Originally Posted by redpearl99
hold on a sec, simply adding a Y pipe will made the exhaust sound louder but keep the same tone?

You could hit 275+ but also matters on what dyno you're running, run on a Dyna-Pack and you'll be over 300
A Y-pipe as well as the other mods will certainly make the stock note louder. If all the mods I've listed make it sound good enough, I won't be purchasing a Y pipe.

Originally Posted by Xet
seems like a very realistic goal, best of luck and be sure to post up your dynos
I sure will. It will be at least 6 months till I'm done with everything but I'll post the results.

Anyone from the Atlanta area have any preference of where I should get a tune? It's between Z1 Motorsports and Forged Performance.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wouldnt running a test pipe give you more gains compared to the HFC? Thaz what ive been understand so far. The HFC is mainly for better sound with an exhaust. Yes it does the job but ive heard and been told that test pipes will give better gains

Old 10-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by nawalvicky
Wouldnt running a test pipe give you more gains compared to the HFC? Thaz what ive been understand so far. The HFC is mainly for better sound with an exhaust. Yes it does the job but ive heard and been told that test pipes will give better gains
I've heard the same, but for the sake of passing emissions and what not with no problems, I'll stick with HFC. Plus the only test pipes I would consider are ART pipes and those are about $150 more than Berk HFC if I'm not mistaken.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
I've heard the same, but for the sake of passing emissions and what not with no problems, I'll stick with HFC. Plus the only test pipes I would consider are ART pipes and those are about $150 more than Berk HFC if I'm not mistaken.
yup, very solid reasoning.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Thanks for the info!
Sorry Gary, an aftermarket exhaust is one thing you'll never see on my G! I love the stock exhaust note I just want to amplify it a bit- that's the only reason I may get a Y pipe. Even without an aftermarket exhaust, is 275+ whp possible/realistic? It's above my expectations but that would be a nice surprise.
Spending $$ on an aftermarket Y-Pipe is a major waste worth 1 or 2 rwhp at most. Aftermarket exhaust systems don't totally change our exhaust sound, that comes from the VQ valve configuration. Exhaust systems just raise or lower the tone. I love shifting just below 3500 rpm around town, sounds the best and doesn't draw attention but puts a smile on my face....
Gary

Old 10-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice thread and nice list... I'm most likely gonna start with HFC or ARTS and work from there.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
rdeverett, i've got the 5AT, and I have the 5/16's Motordyne plenum as well as a custom made, gold lined ice cold air intake powered by Dyson's air blade technology (read: z tube).

I'll be doing the HFC's next and then a tune.

Anyway, when you get to the tuning stage, post when and where. I'd love to see it first hand before I get mine done, if at all possible. I'm in Dunwoody, so I can shoot anywhere.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Y-pipe will not add much power, but will change the sound. Those are great mod choices and you may actually be able to get more power than that at the rear wheels depending on your tuning. And +1 with Gary, if you do want a full cat-back exhaust go with MD TDX V2. That should add another 10 or so hp tuned but you dont get the great stock exhaust note. GL!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Realistic Gains?