G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Looking for real recommendations for new summer wheels.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
Looking for real recommendations for new summer wheels.

I currently have some mildly curbed stock 19 inch rays. Within a year or so, I will do suspension. I know I should do suspension first before getting wheels, so I know the geometry and offsets I'll need to deal with. I'd like to have at least a game plan on how to proceed when I need to get some wheels.

Guys I love our marketplace and I am not trying to be a wiseguy, but I just can't spend 3 hours calling vendors, asking for their recommendations for a performance wheel that is a good deal, learning about each of the specs, seeing pictures, then being told they are a steal at $500-1000 a wheel.

I've looked in our wheels threads, and found several that i like, but when i read reviews i find some people find them to crack or break, while others post record times.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know what brands are quality, and I have an inherent fear of a rim spoke cracking or the rim bending.

I would love some recommendations of brands with affordable, durable, and lightweight rims that are tasteful.

In otherwords, I MUST have affordable, durable, and lightweight, and I do not need wheels that look amazing, but want them to not be tacky or ricey.

I appreciate any advice, even if you are redirecting me to a thread I've already seen, just having the reference of members of this forum makes me feel better.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts
I feel like you're kind of being contradictory. You want them for summer, and it's not even winter yet. That's plenty of time to do the research that you don't feel like doing, or "can't spend 3 hours" doing. Your fear of rims cracking and/or breaking is pretty irrelevant. The chances of something like that actually happening is very rare; even for cheaper brands, like XXR or VarrsToen. Both of those brands carry beautiful designs, but it's usually just their weights that are undesirable. Finding a set that runs $500+ per wheel will usually lead to quality; or by elitist terms of quality: light weight. I think dropping a couple grand on rims is reasonable. I don't do much wheel research, though, so my suggestions are pretty limited as well. But if I had to redirect you somewhere, SSR, Volks, and Work are the best three brands that I've seen in our vendors. That can, and will likely be argued. Just my opinion, though.

But as a tip, since you don't seem to be the aggressive performance driving type of guy (forgive my judgmental ways), I am fairly certain you'd be very satisfied with the popular cheaper brands: XXR and VarrsToen.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:44 PM
First, thanks for the advice.

Basically, I'm looking for brands or styles to focus my time on, and those I should avoid. So that I can edit my original post to make it more clear, what made it seem like I'm not into agressive performance? Quite the opposite actually. I just don't want to spend my money on chrome or three piece beauty.

I want light, strong, and affordable. Do you find that contradictory? Maybe my expectations for wheels to be less than 500 a piece are unfounded, I just was hoping there would be some compromise I find in looks that would get the price down to something more affordable.

Lastly, my frustration at losing three hours basically stems from prices seeming to be too high and feeling like I wasted the time learning about something I can never afford. Do I need a reality check?

Old 10-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Nah you're fine. As the term goes (as I've been seeing it more lately) "You gotta pay to play." Honestly, I don't know the weight differences between the good and cheap brands, but no doubt the differences do make a difference. You're looking for a middle ground; I admit a 3piece forged set would be jizz worthy, if I could afford it, so I'd be looking for the middleground as well. I'm going to have some fun doing some shopping around soon, so I'll get back to you.

Sorry if my "contradictory" statement came off as an insult. It was only related to the time limit you mentioned.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Trafficstar SFR

Old 10-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by _FrankStarks_
Trafficstar SFR
Not sure if that was supposed to be sarcastic. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I took a look; the price is very high, they are 29lbs, and they are not appealing to me. I am looking for cheaper, lighter, and less flashy for sure.

Any other suggestions?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:18 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by anynigma

Basically, I'm looking for brands or styles to focus my time on, and those I should avoid. So that I can edit my original post to make it more clear, what made it seem like I'm not into agressive performance? Quite the opposite actually. I just don't want to spend my money on chrome or three piece beauty.

I want light, strong, and affordable. Do you find that contradictory? Maybe my expectations for wheels to be less than 500 a piece are unfounded, I just was hoping there would be some compromise I find in looks that would get the price down to something more affordable.

Lastly, my frustration at losing three hours basically stems from prices seeming to be too high and feeling like I wasted the time learning about something I can never afford. Do I need a reality check?
Not sure if the chrome dislike is for the weight or look, but I love my rims. 22#F and 24#R so they only weigh 3# more each than the coupe 19s.

On the "light, strong, and affordable" if you're looking at new rims pick 2 of the 3. That's all you're going to get and the compromise is usually the light aspect. Most inexpensive wheels are cast, not forged, that's one reason they're cheaper. Forging in an expensive process but produces a better quality wheel. My suggestion would be to do your research on any rim you like and then look for a used set in good condition. I fell in love with the Gravis1s 2.5 years ago only to find out they had been discontinued for a while. So I set out scouring car forums, wheel companies, Craigslists nationwide, and anywhere else I could think of that advertised used rims. Finally after a year and a half I found mine in San Antonio which is only an hour away from me. After I sold the tires that came with the rims, my net cost was $500 for the set. When these were new they were over $700 each, not that expensive in the world of wheels but out of the price range I'm willing to spend.

Look for XXRs, Tenzos, or poke through Discount Tire and Tire Rack's wheel selections for exposure to decent lower cost alternatives. If I hadn't found my rims when I did I was about to pull the trigger on a set of Miro 111s, I love their design. Here they are on a Z4, they are teh seckx if you ask me. You can get the set of 4 brand new for under $1000 in the Marketplace.

The following users liked this post:
ThatOneDude (10-16-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
rfp1s. light, affordable, and many people use them on the track so I'm sure they're durable..

Old 10-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
lol @ the traffic star So Fawking Rice suggestion.

Keep in mind your 19s are forged, lightweight, and made by Rays. Having a set of 19in rays that you paid <$1000 for with tires is nothing to be joking at.

Personally I plan on getting RE30s when funds allow. But I'll never sell my rays lol.
You've gotta pay to play, exactly what Blue Dream said.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys, these recommendations are exactly what I'm looking for!

I think the Miro 111s look a LOT like the stock 19s, which isn't a bad thing. I'm definitely seeing the increased aggression though.
http://www.bigbrandwheels.com/Displa...1885hs_1%2Ejpg
vs
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sel...3683%20GGG.jpg

The RFP1s are totally in my price range. This is a rim I'll have to think about seriously.

The RE30s are very classy, but a bit too expensive for me.

Can I get away with Volk TE37s without looking ricey? They are simple, which I like, and a little pricy, but forged and light.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by anynigma
Thanks guys, these recommendations are exactly what I'm looking for!

I think the Miro 111s look a LOT like the stock 19s, which isn't a bad thing. I'm definitely seeing the increased aggression though.
http://www.bigbrandwheels.com/Displa...1885hs_1%2Ejpg
vs
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sel...3683%20GGG.jpg

The RFP1s are totally in my price range. This is a rim I'll have to think about seriously.

The RE30s are very classy, but a bit too expensive for me.

Can I get away with Volk TE37s without looking ricey? They are simple, which I like, and a little pricy, but forged and light.

RE30s are definitely nice, no doubt. Pricey too. And TEs and "ricey" are polar opposites. Definitely can't go wrong with TEs. But if you can't afford or don't want to spend the money for TE's, then VarrStoens are the second best thing IMO.

IMO, if I had a choice between RPF1s and OEM 19s, I'd save the $ and spend it on your suspension. OEM's > RPF1s

Old 10-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 227 Likes on 143 Posts
LMGT4s

Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

look d*** good. Want these in this finish for my next set of wheels maybe.

hope elyaman doesn't mind me posting a pic of his car..

Old 10-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Deemo, are those rfp1s? maybe its a 18 or 19 inch size, but many pics I find leave the rim looking thick and the spokes looking dainty. Your pic looks much more balanced.

LMGT4s are very similar to the TE37s or am I mistaken? I am finding TE37s for cheaper though!

VarrStoens look like another excellent compromise, but I'm seeing black, chrome, and dark gray. I think i could get them powder coated hyper silver, but I'd like to avoid the extra step.

Please keep the recommendations coming! Thanks for all your ideas, this is really helping!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 PM
If you're seeing TE37's as cheap, you've got a lot of options! I'd really recommend SSR's; Lots of gorgeous options from them, and they're very well made wheels. I said I'd do some shopping for you, but I got caught up and am actually looking to get two sets of wheels, for my G and an Integra. Current interest is in Work Meister S12P and Brombacher, as well as SSR's SP1 and MS1. You'll notice they're similar styles. Our tastes might not match up well, however. Can't really go wrong with the brands, though!