G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What is this? Pics included

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
it also helps with high speed stability. I don't know if nissan designed the g35 to go 155+ mph but all the BMW and Mercedes are and they do help a lot when you get into 100 + mph speeds. Just because your Butt dyno doesn't feel it doesn't mean its not working.

The point is, it helps reduce drag, helps with the gas mileage, helps with high speed stability and doesn't hurt you to have. So no real point in taking it off.
Once again, we already concluded this and I'm not removing them. lol

Old 10-30-2011, 12:15 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
it also helps with high speed stability. I don't know if nissan designed the g35 to go 155+ mph but all the BMW and Mercedes are and they do help a lot when you get into 100 + mph speeds. Just because your Butt dyno doesn't feel it doesn't mean its not working.

The point is, it helps reduce drag, helps with the gas mileage, helps with high speed stability and doesn't hurt you to have. So no real point in taking it off.
BS.
Those things give little to no effect. If effect would have been so significant then Nissan would have installed those on every equally powered G35 and not only on the one that comes with a spoiler.

Two years ago I took a trip down to Florida from Washington, and I averaged 25mpg. So I can easily argue that removing them I got better mpg. The car is only rated for 21

Old 10-31-2011, 04:23 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
BS.
Those things give little to no effect. If effect would have been so significant then Nissan would have installed those on every equally powered G35 and not only on the one that comes with a spoiler.

Two years ago I took a trip down to Florida from Washington, and I averaged 25mpg. So I can easily argue that removing them I got better mpg. The car is only rated for 21
yeah aerodynamics have no effect on mpg. Thats why auto manufacturers spend billions on there cars to make them as aerodynamic as possible. Improved aerodynamics reduces drag, helps with acceleration, improves mpg, help with high speed stability and reduces lift to allow higher speeds.

Just look under a m3 or AMG car. Almost every component under the car is covered and has a function. Those cars are designed for go up too 186mph or higher depending on the model. At higher speeds, every little bit helps.

Your florida to washington argument is wrong because gas mileage is dependent on many more factors such as air temp, air pressure in tires, roll resistance of the tire, your road elevation, your throttle position as your drove, your average mph as your drove that distance.

You can easily get 55mpg if you go 55mph in 6 gear the entire trip on the highway. With your logic then i can say my g35 is a 55mpg car even though its rated for 28mpg hwy.

Only real way would be to do wind tunnel testing to see if those pieces actually have any effect on aerodynamics.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Only real way would be to do wind tunnel testing to see if those pieces actually have any effect on aerodynamics.
Thing is, Nissan/Infiniti already did this. The Aero package (rear spoiler plus underbody diffusers) "reduces overall lift to ZERO and lowers the drag coefficient to .28" (from .29).

So we get a little bit lower CD, plus zero lift. Yes it is a small benefit, but it is still a benefit. How many of us tweak our cars looking for a slight edge? If it didn't make a difference, I'm sure Infiniti would have been happy to sell you just a spoiler, called it an "Aero Package" and saved money by not giving you the diffusers.

I'll take small benefits that add up. Look how many people want a Z-tube plus a Revup airbox - not a big difference, but still has a small perceived benefit.

People can argue both sides till we're blue in the face, but the truth is these pieces serve a function (admittedly small) and those who take them off, or bought an Aero Package and tossed the diffusers are just pissing away $80 worth of parts.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:53 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
TemjinX2. I'm sure those things are a vital component on your car.

Last thing we all need is for you to become airborne and fly over all that LA traffic just cuz you did not put them important diffusers on.

The following users liked this post:
MADtotheA (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^

People, the pieces we are discussing are practically useless. If we were discussing an Enzo here then it would be a different story.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:44 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
It makes a difference but will you notice it?

It's the same as driving on the FWY with the windows slightly down.