G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

The whinning noise is my supercharger, but what is this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Question The whinning noise is my supercharger, but what is this?

What is that tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick....?

The slight "whine" is the supercharger....

Just curious what this is. Any ideas guys?

This is what I have:

Stillen Supercharger
Motul (weight, I'll have to re-check on my receipt from Sharif or just call and ask him)
Stillen Expanded Oil Pan
Stillen Oil Cooler

Now my immediate thought is: "Low Oil Level" and I tried checking but this POS oil dip stick on the VQ is by far the worst I've ever dealt with...I can't seem to get an accurate reading.

I just had the oil changed at Forged about 6 months ago - but I don't drive the car that much and I would say the new oil has about 800-1,000 miles on it...so I'm betting it's not the oil level but maybe the weight - so let me confirm that with Sharif........but what is that noise from though?

ANY suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 10-29-2011, 09:33 PM
This is a VERY close example of another guy having this issue - but he's sounds louder (worse) than mine and he says he changed the oil to a different brand and it fixed it....but still wanting the "experts" here at G35Driver to let me know what y'all think. Thanks Guys! -WoW

Old 10-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Oh and the tick, tick, tick, is at a steady pace when at idle and will match the RPM's when you are in netural, pushing on the gas..etc..

Old 10-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you have a built motor? Could be piston slap maybe? Or maybe you've bent a rod?

Old 10-30-2011, 04:56 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
The second vid sounds like rod knock. Can't tell about yours, good luck with finding the issue. Let us know when you do.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:41 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Does not sound good, but it could be anything. I would not jump to the conclusion it is rod knock quite yet. Get it checked out by an expert is what I would do. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Oh god - my blood pressure just went up after reading the replies. LOL....I laugh, but not really...

The car was built out with the Stillen Supercharger and the other items I listed in the original post by Forged Performance. I've never tracked the coupe, but after having the SC installed, have on a RARE occasion, floored the hell out of her - but the noise doesn't seem to affect the performance of that car....It's seems to drive just fine - no loss in power, no engine lights....

I'll have to scan it for any codes....

I'm going to (TODAY) check the oil again.

I've already told Forged to check for the "tick" the last time I got an oil change and they charged me $30 to tell me the "Tech" heard the sound but had not a clue. Nice!!!!

I'll e-mail Sharif and let him know that I need the engine's fuel/air ratio checked, the tune...etc...the oil level and the weight of oil and to see if maybe he can listen to it himself and see what this damn "TICK" is from....

I'll keep everyone informed...

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 10-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Just looked up "Bent Rod" - as I wanted to see some images of others that took out the rods - to take a look at what the damage would be - and I swear this Stillen SC doesn't put down even close enough power to bend the OEM rod. Trust me...lol.....at Forged it only measured 269whp on the mustang dyno - and that was a BIG deal with me - as I was extremely disappointed with the output...to me (long story and talked about with Sharif and just came to the conclusion that Stillen's SC sucks) the output WITH the SC is like the output of some STOCK coupes...but he said the dyno "before" showed 229whp before....oh well...it's a 2003.5 6MT....and that whole story is behind me...in other words, I'm fine with the output now....just worried what in the heck this "TICK" is from...

I'm by far NOT an engine expert - just a car freak really....but I just have a feeling it's to do with the oil weight I'm running.

Forged always seems to suggest MOTUL oil for any of the Forced Induction work they do - and I can understand that - but that might be a little "extreme" for my application - as I'm just not putting down that much power to be running "Racing Synthetic Oil", in my .02.....

Maybe I can switch to a different brand and a slightly heavier Synthetic weight and just see if that does the trick....again, I will let you all know...

Old 10-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ive had a similar noise and finally traced it to an exhasust leak between the head and the ex manifold flange

Old 10-30-2011, 10:39 AM
ive had a similar noise and finally traced it to an exhaust leak between the head and the ex manifold flange
^ I've heard about that too - but was always ignoring that and going with something internally in the engine - b/c it seemed "weird" to me that an exhaust leak could cause a "Tick" - but I'll look now that you mentioned it....and that would explain why I heard it in a much louder decibel level in the wheel well than I do when listening for it from standing and viewing the top of the engine!!

How hard is that to do? Like I said - I admit I'm not an "engine expert".....I'm taking it, I would have to take off the supercharger, and other engine parts, etc to find something like this? Jeeze, sounds like maybe something Forged might have to do - but that might be $$$$

Would letting this "Tick"...."go" and not doing anything about it - lead to a blown engine?

I guess that's an open ended question since we don't know what the cause of the tick really is...Hmmm....

Last edited by WhiteonWheat; 10-30-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Well crap - I'm crawling under the car just now and wondering how in the world to check PROPERLY for that head/flange exhaust leak....how would I even do this guys....is there a "trick" or should I just ask Forged the next time I'm in for an oil change...?

Old 10-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
In my case I just had a worn belt. Replaced it and she's much quieter now. Really not sure if your situation is that simple...

Old 10-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
That second video sounds like he did a diesel conversion... Haha.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Find a shop with a "smoke" machine. They can fill the exhaust or intake system up with smoke and wherever you see smoke come out, you have a leak. Great for finding boost leaks on the intake side!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks guys for all the suggestions - going to figure something out soon...will keep everyone posted...since others might have run into this same "tick" and hopefully I can help by figuring mine out..

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The whinning noise is my supercharger, but what is this?