G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Modding my car this saturday - help/suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modding my car this saturday - help/suggestions

This thread will consist of multiple parts I need some help on. It's a bit of a long read, but please stick by. This sat i will be doing my rims, calipers, tail tints, and possibly grill.

Rims- I will be using plasti dip to paint my rims black. I think I've gotten plenty of info online on how to use it, but if any of you can share any more info, that'd be great. (Also, regarding the small circle and the infiniti logo in the center of each rim, should I leave the whole circle untouched, or try my best to just mask the infiniti symbol, and paint everything else?

Calipers- I plan on using some high temp red paint to paint them. If any of you have any suggestions on paint type, please let me know.

Tail tints- I decided I am going to use VHT nite shades, and not overlays. Now the help I need with this is 2 things.
a. What's the best way to use VHT to get the best results? How many coats? What will it look like after (x) amount of coats?
b. Possibly the most important, what's the easiest way of taking it off? I know there are a couple methods, but are there any that have been sureproof as far as being the easiest? I've heard a couple things about goof off, and products like that.
c. I also desperately need a DYI on how to take my tail lights off. If you can point me in the right direction of that, or even tell me yourself, that'd be great

Grill- I plan on using whatever I have left of the Plasti dip to also do my front grill. I'll be leaving the infiniti logo untouched, but everything else black.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Save yourself a head ache and do it right the first time. Dont plasti dip the wheels and dont use VHT. Trust me...you will be much happier buying some nice overlays from blue bat and having the wheels professionally coated.

The following 2 users liked this post by xXHotelCrazyXx:
alfhasg35 (01-25-2012), spinna001 (01-28-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wipe down tails with alcohol, spray 3 coats of vht. If you mess up goof off takes it right off. Your cars going to look exactly like mine except diffrent rims. I sent mine to the powder coater last week but have benn plasti dipped for months. I'm on 18" chrome saleens right now

Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Jaxon1023
Wipe down tails with alcohol, spray 3 coats of vht. If you mess up goof off takes it right off. Your cars going to look exactly like mine except diffrent rims. I sent mine to the powder coater last week but have benn plasti dipped for months. I'm on 18" chrome saleens right now

Dam! Sick G. It's kinda weird how I want to do what your car basically has. Eventually, later on, I want to get some headlight overlays.

How'd you get your tails off? Or am I going crazy and are you supposed to spray VHT on the outside?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Pull the trunk carpet back and there are 3 bolts that hold each tailight in. Yes you spray it on the outside.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
Ditch the Plasti-crap for powdercoating.

Have the tails sprayed with an HVLP gun with some basecoat mixed in with the clear and then straight clear over that.

OEM calipers shouldnt be painted BRIGHT colors as to draw attention to how small they are.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 PM
You guys are getting the wrong impression. I'm an 18 yr old, paying off my G and using the extra money to make it look nicer. I have enough to buy a couple cans of paint for rims, and tails. Not to send it to a shop to get it powder coated, and my rims professionally done. I wish, but unfortunately, my finances do not allow it. I think for the MEANTIME, what I want to do is not the most horrible thing in the world lol.

Trending Topics

Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Jaxon1023
Pull the trunk carpet back and there are 3 bolts that hold each tailight in. Yes you spray it on the outside.
Being sarcastic? :P lol but if you spray it on the outside, do you REALLY need to pull the tails off?

P.S. are your calipers OEM?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't have to but its so easy to take them off because if you don't your risk getting paint on the car and is a pain to remove. I'm talking from experience i did it the first time leaving them on the car it was a mistake. Ive done my lights over 3 times already and remove the lights every time now.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by itzincognito
You don't have to but its so easy to take them off because if you don't your risk getting paint on the car and is a pain to remove. I'm talking from experience i did it the first time leaving them on the car it was a mistake. Ive done my lights over 3 times already and remove the lights every time now.
What if I just make sure I put newspaper EVERYWHERE except the tailights? I wouldn't just do it with no masking.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Here is how mines sitting till my rims get back from powder coat. Doing them in satin black. Yes they are the oem brembo setup

Old 01-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacklite
You guys are getting the wrong impression. I'm an 18 yr old, paying off my G and using the extra money to make it look nicer. I have enough to buy a couple cans of paint for rims, and tails. Not to send it to a shop to get it powder coated, and my rims professionally done. I wish, but unfortunately, my finances do not allow it. I think for the MEANTIME, what I want to do is not the most horrible thing in the world lol.
Right but remember that you want to make it look nicer not ricer. Blue bat overlays are cheap enough to use for headlights and taillights. However if you are doing the headlights take them apart and paint the housings. No reason to use overlays for those. Don't paint your oem calipers as they will just look funny and small. If you do vht your tails, just take them off. Its so easy. Do it right or don't bother.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
You lost me at Plastidip...

Edit: Here is your DIY taillight removal. Very simple.

https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...t-removal.html

The following users liked this post:
spinna001 (01-28-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Call off Mod Saturday until you learn how to do it right!

You're doing it wrong!!
Plastic Dip on your wheels is wrong, Powder Coating is the only way they'll look nice for any length of time....paint is better than P/D and still won't look good after 6 months!
Painting your tails, the way you're doing it will get you a ticket....It's illegal every where!
Gary

Old 01-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't know anything about plastic dip but painting tail lights here is a link for that

http:// https://g35driver.com/forums...gtr-style.html

Hope that helps I used this thread to do mine they came out nice

The following users liked this post:
spinna001 (01-28-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modding my car this saturday - help/suggestions