G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Trapped Water Sloshing Sound? Huh?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trapped Water Sloshing Sound? Huh?

So I've searched and searched and although their are tons of articles about tons of different sounds I couldn't find anything that matched this so I'm hoping someone has some insight on this. When I go to back my car out of the garage in the morning and then stop to wait for the door to close as I stop the car I hear what sounds like water sloshing back and forth. It sounds like its coming from under the dash. I thought it might be coming from the door but I pulled it apart and there is no water inside. I've had my G for 3 years now and have never heard anything like this or heard mention of anyone else having a similar issue. Anyone have any ideas before I start tearing this whole car apart?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
it sounds like you may have air trapped in your coolant system. your A/C system's heater is in the dash and is a high point in the coolant system. you'll hear water sloshing around sometimes if air is trapped up there.

do you get HOT air from your heater when the car is cold (no A/C, just the heater blowing air)?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by bigc
it sounds like you may have air trapped in your coolant system. your A/C system's heater is in the dash and is a high point in the coolant system. you'll hear water sloshing around sometimes if air is trapped up there.

do you get HOT air from your heater when the car is cold (no A/C, just the heater blowing air)?
Yes, I do. I didn't even think about that being back there! That's probably it, I'll have to check that out after work tomorrow. THANKS!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Any update here? I'm experiencing the same.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How can you PROPERLY take the air out the system from the radiator, ive found a few ways but people keep experiencing the same problems again, whats the most correct procedure for this?!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tri-GunSlingEr
So I've searched and searched and although their are tons of articles about tons of different sounds I couldn't find anything that matched this so I'm hoping someone has some insight on this. When I go to back my car out of the garage in the morning and then stop to wait for the door to close as I stop the car I hear what sounds like water sloshing back and forth. It sounds like its coming from under the dash. I thought it might be coming from the door but I pulled it apart and there is no water inside. I've had my G for 3 years now and have never heard anything like this or heard mention of anyone else having a similar issue. Anyone have any ideas before I start tearing this whole car apart?
you have air bubbles in coolant system. try this: get the Lisle coolant funnel ( $20), attach it to radiator. then jack up the front of he car so that the bubbles rise to the top (wich would be at the rad cap) . run the heater full blast while revving engine at 2 k for a couple min. its a bitch to get air out of this car. you might have to repeat several times. good luck

The following users liked this post:
bigc (11-22-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by bigc

^^^ This

Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could also be a blown head gasket. Check your oil - if it looks like coffee and is frothy, stop driving your car and get it to a garage - the engine coolant is leaking into the cylinders and getting into the crank case. A typical symptom of this is a gurgling, sloshing sound from the dash (the coolant is leaking out and being replaced by air).

Hope it's something less serious. GL.

Last edited by g35dalf; 11-19-2012 at 09:41 PM.