G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

how does buying a car out of state work??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how does buying a car out of state work??

i live in las vegas, and there are only 2 infiniti dealers out here, and neither of them have the "exact" car that i want. also, theyve done searches for the exact car that i want in their region, which includes california, and they basically told me the combination im looking for doesnt exist.

so im thinking my only other choice is to buy out of state, and i keep hearing about this grubbs infiniti place that seems pretty popular.

so my question is, how does this whole buying out of state thing work, and what if i have a trade in, how would that work?? and what the vpp discount through grubbs?

and incase youre wondering, this is what im looking for...

ivory pearl
premium pkg
AT
wheat interior
sport tuned suspension package
navigation
splash guards
NO rear spoiler

thank for you help

Old 01-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live near Jacksonville, FL and bought my G Coupe 6MT from Nationwide Infiniti in Timonium, MD. I wanted a Caribbean Blue Coupe with the manual transmission and there were only around 4-5 new ones left in the US to choose from when I got mine in early November. After negotiating the price, I flew up there and the salesperson picked me up at the airport and about an hour and a half after we got to the dealership, I was driving it home. Since I live in FL, I paid the 6% Florida tax (not the Maryland tax) which they then sent to FL. The car had a Maryland temp tag on it. So, buying a car out of state is not a big deal at all.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Here's the way it worked for me, keeping in mind that I live in Oregon (where there's no sales tax), and I didn't have a trade-in.

I moved back to Portland in January '04 after 10 years in SoCal. I placed my order for a 2004 coupe at Riverside (CA) Infiniti (where I lived at the time) in October '03, knowing I was moving to Portland in January. My timing ended up being perfect, as the car arrived in town a week after I did.

Here's the way it worked: I put down a $500 deposit with my order in October (for their November allocation). When the car arrived at Riverside Infiniti in January, the salesman called and told me, then had the paperwork overnighted to me. I overnighted him back a certified check (I paid MSRP) along with the signed paperwork, and the car was on a truck to me the afternoon he got the check (with all the original protective plastic still in place on the car).

Registration was pretty easy as well, but I paid cash for my car, so I'm not sure how it works if there's a bank involved. Riverside Infiniti had to send a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) for the car directly to my local DMV (this part took a few extra days). Once they had that, I just had to fill out my title application, give my insurance info, and pay the registration fee.

All in all, it worked out great for me. I got to order exactly the G I wanted, paid no sales tax, and it showed up a week after I arrived in town. Shipping cost me about $500, which was more than offset by not paying sales tax and not having to deal with Beaverton (OR) Infiniti (my local dealership) and their $1400 "Northwest Protection Package" BS.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Oh, and I doubt if an out of state dealer would be interested in a trade-in -- there's no way for them to see and evaluate your vehicle unless you're planning on driving it there, and then what if you don't like the price they offer? It's a bit of a pain, but you're probably better off selling your old car yourself.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:33 PM
i live in atlanta GA, and got mine in Nashville TN. i paid their doc fees, and payed MY State County Tax.. the only delay is probably getting your tag. but that isn't a big deal.

Old 01-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, in my experience, buying out of state usually meant I got my tags faster...

I got almost all of my cars out of state. Regardless if you pay cash or finance the car, than either you or your financial institution will cut a check and fed ex it to the dealer. (At least that's how it worked for me)

The dealer than Fed Ex the paper work (Certificate of Origin) to you local DMV office, where you swing buy and pay sales tax, then pickup your plates and tags. (Dealer doesn't charge sales tax, since you pay it yourself at your local DMV) Or you can have the dealer include the sales tax in the financing, and they'll cut you a check for the amount to take to the DMV.

When I bought from Grubbs for example, I was able to get all this taken care of by about the time the car got shipped to me, which only took a little less than 2 weeks, so I had my plates by the time the car arrived.

When I got my first car in state, the dealer handled all this, but they took their sweet ol' time getting the plates. I was driving around with temp tags for almost 3 months...

Old 01-06-2005, 12:33 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
ok as a new buyer, where is grubbs? i have been hearing about them frequenly, and i wanna know more info on them. will they ship to miami, fl?