G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Transmission Question(5AT)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Transmission Question(5AT)

Hey guys, not sure if I have a problem or not but just wanted to see how many people experience this or if its considered "normal". I found some answers through search but it was mainly for the newer sedans. People described it as "engine braking"...but I've never experienced that in an auto before. Details, 03, 96k, no mods.

So when driving the car shifts pretty good, pretty normal for a 96k car. The thing that slightly concerns me is when I'm not on the gas pedal the car feels like its hanging in the current gear and its slowing down(almost as if I was driving a manual and slowing down leaving it in gear, like engine braking), it will eventually go low enough on the rpm's and downshift to the next gear all the way to 1st. I've never owned an automatic that did this, everything I've driven when you aren't on the gas it goes into a neutral feel.

Normal? issue?

Thanks guys

Old 02-17-2012, 05:31 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
It's called rev matching and it's perfectly normal for our cars. I think it benefits the 6MT more than the auto, but that's just my opinion.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:35 AM
It's extremely annoying....I like being able to let off the gas and coast and not feel like the car is being restricted. Why would they do this?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:37 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
This doesn't happen in my car.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:52 AM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
It's called rev matching and it's perfectly normal for our cars. I think it benefits the 6MT more than the auto, but that's just my opinion.
This isn't rev matching at all dude...

OP, I take it you are in D and not in manual mode?

I'm not totally familiar with the Nissan/Infiniti automatic transmissions, but most automatic transmissions will naturally upshift to the highest gear possible when you let off the gas, as well as unlocking the torque converter, which gives the perception of "coasting" since a torque converter translates very little back-torque (torque from trans to engine). Sounds like your transmission is not doing this.

I would start off by checking your transmission fluid level. Maybe this is just older automatic transmissions, but I've heard of low AT fluid causing all kinds of weird stuff...

Old 02-20-2012, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by Revo
This isn't rev matching at all dude...

OP, I take it you are in D and not in manual mode?

I'm not totally familiar with the Nissan/Infiniti automatic transmissions, but most automatic transmissions will naturally upshift to the highest gear possible when you let off the gas, as well as unlocking the torque converter, which gives the perception of "coasting" since a torque converter translates very little back-torque (torque from trans to engine). Sounds like your transmission is not doing this.

I would start off by checking your transmission fluid level. Maybe this is just older automatic transmissions, but I've heard of low AT fluid causing all kinds of weird stuff...
Yes I'm in D mode. I have to bring it in for scheduled maintenace anywho and the tranny will get a fluid change. Hopefully its nothing major!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
My guess is once you've had your trans serviced what you're experiencing will go away. Fluid might be low or contaminated, there's no filter so a simple drain/fill should make your trans/and you happy.
Gary

Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Goodluck

Old 02-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Both my '05 with 99k and my '08 with 10k do this so I think it's just a characteristic of these cars. The people who say theirs don't do it probably are used to it and don't notice it. Coming from the BMW world, I noticed this immediately however, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. You should still change the transmission fluid for other reasons though.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
2003 AT coupes do not have rev matching. I wish they did!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Received 318 Likes on 221 Posts
my 07 5at does this too, tranny was serviced recently when my new short block was installed and i remember it doing it back with the OC engine + unserviced tranny

if im in manual mode and select 5th gear it does not do this but with in D mode and go same speed then let off it feel like engine breaking slowing me down.... i drive in manual 95% of the time anyway if that makes a difference

Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Ya these cars do that. It's not drastic but they do it. It's just normal

Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM
i figured it was just thought id post up saying i had noticed it on both instances

if you wana coast slap it over to manual then select the highest gear you can

Old 02-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
isn't this normal for automatics? i think it's more "apparent" in the G35 since it revs a bit higher than an average car due to gearing..

for example.. say you are in the 3rd gear.. 50mph.. your engine "resistance" will slow down your than say being on 5th gear 50mph.. just more work/resistance on ur transmission at a higher RPM...

CVT and Hybrids seems to be exact opposite.. there's almost zero resistance.. kinda like being on neutral.. save a lot of gas...

Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 PM
agree around town you dont see it but on the high way (55mph+) even in 5th it pulls you down

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission Question(5AT)