G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Just bought a G, but now i have an odd problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a G, but now i have an odd problem

Hey guys I just bought an 03 G35 and I have to say I love it. I definitely decided to buy a much newer one in the near future. Anyways I was driving it back home and I noticed an ant crawling near the shifter. I didn't think it was a big deal but over the past few days i keep seeing ants lol. It's not a lot of them but maybe in one day I might see 3 or 4, and its every day. Other people have even started to notice. I tried to find out where they're coming from but no luck there. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I can do? These ants are driving me crazy haha.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
lol... look under the seats.. and check the compartments in the car to see if u see anything .... Also, try cleaning the carpet and anything that people touch.. might be sticky..

Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Damn, that's a very odd problem. Never heard of this one before. Sounds like an ant infestation somewhere in your vehicle, or maybe a hole somewhere that is allowing them in from the outside.

Just a guess I'm no expert :P

Anyone else with knowledge of this feel free to chime in.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:58 AM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
At first I would just give the interior a good detailing. By good detailing I mean...

Wipe the leather down with a damp rag, possibly using mild soap solution instead of pure water. If you use soap solution - you'll want to wipe it dry, then go back over it with a damp rag again but this time with pure water. Obviously dry after. Then apply your leather conditioner. If you have a leather treatment kit that includes leather cleaner (I know my Zaino has a specific cleaner to use before the conditioner), you can use that instead of the wet rag method.

Wipe down your dash with a damp rag and dry after (pretty much everything in the interior car that is not leather or carpet). Obviously you aren't going to use leather stuff everywhere so I included this extra step.

Vacuum your carpet thoroughly - unbolt your front seats (but don't unplug/remove them) so you can reach the otherwise impossible to get to spot that's next to the center console (basically between the console and seats). Might be good to have a friend help you out here by leaning the seats forward or backward as you vacuum. If you find stains or any sort it might be a good time to use one of those steamers to clean the up as best you can.

Clean your floor mats. I've actually gone as far as just spraying the hell out of them with a hose and letting them dry under the sun for an afternoon.

Now, this should ideally remove anything that could be attracting the ants. If all else fails, it might also be worth "bombing" the car with insecticide similar to how you would bomb a room in the house (you will have to take additional precautions here as an interior is much smaller than a room).

Another option is bombing your garage while your car is parked in it (keeping doors/moonroof open) so the insecticide can work its way into your car.

Make sure you disconnect your battery whenever you do this as the insecticide usually is flammable and you don't want a random spark causing a big problem...

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just do a thorough cleaning of the car and checking small cranny and nooks. Might just be some left over candy that is causing the ants to appear for their early Thanksgiving feast.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Old 02-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
All of the above....^....but begin with a bath and get her in the air and check underneath too....ants that's nuckingfutts!
Gary

Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by faiz23
Might wanna check the cabin filter

[/url]
Good god, how did this happen? I thought the cabin filters were only exposed to air from the heat/ac system. I expect there to be discoloration, but how is there garbage in it?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kevvsworld
Good god, how did this happen? I thought the cabin filters were only exposed to air from the heat/ac system. I expect there to be discoloration, but how is there garbage in it?
^ my thoughts exactly.. that is one amazing cabin filter...

Old 02-25-2012, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys lol I had a couple of friends come over and they helped look around the car, where I immediately found a little cluster of ants under the drivers seat. There didn't seem to be anything around that was attracting them, but I used a little bit of soap and water to clean it anyways. We looked all over but couldn't find anything else. I cleaned the rest of the car. I've been driving for a few days now and I'm happy to report I haven't seen another ant yet lol.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
WTF? that ish looks like part of a squirrel

Old 02-25-2012, 08:47 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
It's part of a mouse. IIRC mice had built a nest in his filter and that's what brought all that shizz into it.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by faiz23
That's actually a very common problem, particularly if you live in a place that gets really cold in the winter. Fury little rodents like to climb into our cars after you come back from a drive because it's nice and warm in there. Somehow they usually end up choosing the cabin air-filter or the interior HVAC system fan housing as their nesting location and they pack in all sorts of nesting materials into that and leave behind a ton of nasty fur and stuff.

I had this happen to me on my old 240SX, and it was to the point where it got so bad that my fan wouldn't even spin at all. I took the fan assembly apart and found that the basket was completely stuffed with fur, little acorn shells and pieces of ripped up paper. It was really packed in there tightly too!

I hate rodents... they're to blame for so much disease.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol, ants!!! well, like others have suggested, clean your car from inside. Matter o fact, detail it. I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner or salesman left a sneaker bar at the bottom of seats or in glove box or many other places. after cleaning it thoroughly, leave your windows down for few hours (in the nice weather of course) and see the results. Good luck