G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Negative about the Z tube?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys, I think we are forgetting what the differences are between the OEM Z tube and the OEM G tube. I mean, ask yourself, why are they even different at all?

They are almost exactly the same, except that the OEM G tube has sound baffles (as stated before).

Taking into account that the G is more marketed as a luxury car, and the Z is more marketed as a sports car, then I feel pretty confident that the change was made to the G tube solely to reduce noise output. It may have caused a loss of 1 hp or so, but I'm sure that was completly satisfactory for Nissan (they rated is 7hp less than the 350z track anyways....for '03).

I say every little bit helps, and, in terms of airflow, a slightly bent tube will always be better than slightly bent tube with several extra cavities attached to it.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never measured it when I changed over from the "GTube" to the ZTube, but I understand the inside diameter of the ZTube is a half inch larger (3" instead of 2.5") than the "GTube", plus it doesn't have the gigantic resonator on it.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:39 PM
jki
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breather Tube attachment?

Does the Z-tube have a port to attach the breather tube that is connected to the G-tube?

Old 01-22-2005, 03:46 AM
so did we settle this... does it really lower your mpg?? It seems to me that if you drive slower w/ the z-tube on it will increase your MPG because your freeing up power... but if your driving harder it will decrease your regular MPG since more air is coming in... and more fuel is needed...someone correct me of i'm wrong

Old 01-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Mine was better for sure. It should not reduce gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jki
Does the Z-tube have a port to attach the breather tube that is connected to the G-tube?
Yes it does except on the G-tube it is on the top and the z-tube is on the bottom. You can still hook it up no problem. Follow the instructions on the DIY section.
Wayne

Old 01-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Omega Enthusiast
One thing to keep in mind is, when going with an aftermarket filter (i.e. K&N) what you gain in air flow (through the filter), you lose in filtration.

An informative link:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Old 01-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by MrElussive
Don't pay for the ridiculously overpriced K&N air filter. It lets more air in to give you -AT MOST- a 1-2hp gain, which means nothing, but it costs $35 (which is insane for just an air filter) and as it lets more air into your engine, it lets more crap into it too. Do you like breathing dirty air? Well neither does your engine. Just buy a new OEM air filter for the much more reasonable $10 and replace your current dirty OEM air filter to get back your "lost" 1 or 2 horsepower.

K&N really has a great thing going. I can't believe they can charge $35 - $75 for an air filter and get away with it.

Hmmmm. But you never have to replace the K&N--just pop it out and clean it off. I ran well over 100k miles with a K&N on a CAI and there was not a single symptom of the K&N not providing adequate filtration.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Z Tube

Instead of putting out the money for the Z tube, just cut that dam baffle hanging off of it, and epoxy the hole shut? Then the service dept can't tell, unless they reach under it.

* Does this not achieve the same result?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 01-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by praztek
Instead of putting out the money for the Z tube, just cut that dam baffle hanging off of it, and epoxy the hole shut? Then the service dept can't tell, unless they reach under it.

* Does this not achieve the same result?

Thanks,

Mike

I forgot to measure it when I got the ZTube installed, but I've heard the ZTube is a half inch larger in diameter than the "GTube". Can somebody measure them to confirm this?

Or, you could cut and glue the GTube resonator onto the ZTube to fool the dealer LOL!

Old 01-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by gspotter
I forgot to measure it when I got the ZTube installed, but I've heard the ZTube is a half inch larger in diameter than the "GTube". Can somebody measure them to confirm this?

Or, you could cut and glue the GTube resonator onto the ZTube to fool the dealer LOL!
Here you go gspotter I have the Z-tube here and the inside diameter at the rubber couplings on each end is 3" ID, but inside the actual plastic tube the inside diameter is 2 3/4" ID. I have not installed mine yet cause I'm waiting till it's above freezing out.
gspotter if you changed out yours you can measure your g-tube at the same locations.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Here you go gspotter I have the Z-tube here and the inside diameter at the rubber couplings on each end is 3" ID, but inside the actual plastic tube the inside diameter is 2 3/4" ID. I have not installed mine yet cause I'm waiting till it's above freezing out.
gspotter if you changed out yours you can measure your g-tube at the same locations.

Thanks!....I'll do that....the GTube is sitting in the garage.