G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

weird clutch noises on cold start ups

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird clutch noises on cold start ups

Yeah... so recently I bought a IP G35 and the last owner told me that the previous owner had a "racing clutch" installed, he did not know what brand and that it needed to be warmed up before running, at least 5-10 minutes of waiting. Although he did give me a new F1 racing clutch which I don't plan on installing bc of all the bad reviews it has.

What sounds fishy to me is that.. I don't think you can warm up the clutch with just leaving the engine idle. Plus, I looked everywhere and nowhere does it say that racing clutches needed to be warmed up before using. (Only carbon clutches, but even then I don't think its suppose to make that noise)

The noise occurs when I turn on the engine, if I don't let go of clutch after ignition I'll hear a grinding/whirring noise and if I try to use my car before the engine warms up It'll make that whirring sound but after a couple minutes the noise goes away...

I'm wondering if this is really because it is a "racing clutch" or if its because the clutch needs to be replaced.. or I don't know.. throw out bearing broken? But I've done a lot of searching and if the throw out bearing is broken it makes a whistling noise..

BTW the clutch works fine after being warmed up, no slipping or anything.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:24 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the same exact problem, first off I just wanna say its really emberassing when people are with me lol, second I've heard this is a pretty big problem on our G's.

I haven't fixed it yet but I did find out that it is caused by the bearing, I've been running it like this for about 8 months and never had any problems...only way that I know of to fix it is replace the clutch but it's not necessary....most likely you'll just have to wait it out until the clutch goes out

Old 06-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exact same with me. Owner told me it has a "sport" clutch but didnt know what kind. If i press in my clutch after start up i get a whirring noise and if i try going i get a gringing sound. I just start my car before i leave so that it warms up and doesnt look like i suck at manual and am grinding my gears also when i turn my car off, i have to hold the clutch in or else it rattles wen i turn it off

Old 06-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by midnighttheg35
Exact same with me. Owner told me it has a "sport" clutch but didnt know what kind. If i press in my clutch after start up i get a whirring noise and if i try going i get a gringing sound. I just start my car before i leave so that it warms up and doesnt look like i suck at manual and am grinding my gears also when i turn my car off, i have to hold the clutch in or else it rattles wen i turn it off
holy crap!! That's the exact same problem I have LOL. But holding in the clutch when turning off the engine is for everyone that has a stock flywheel.. I believe because of the dual mass flywheel that vq35de comes with... So I don't think there's a problem with that. The only thing that annoys me is the clutch that needs to be "warmed up" before going. I mean I can still move the car when the clutch isn't "warm" but it just makes an annoying sound. I changed the clutch fluid and I think it helped a bit.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by ieG786
I have the same exact problem, first off I just wanna say its really emberassing when people are with me lol, second I've heard this is a pretty big problem on our G's.

I haven't fixed it yet but I did find out that it is caused by the bearing, I've been running it like this for about 8 months and never had any problems...only way that I know of to fix it is replace the clutch but it's not necessary....most likely you'll just have to wait it out until the clutch goes out
This is the throw out/ release bearing you're talking about?

Old 06-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Plam
This is the throw out/ release bearing you're talking about?
yes the throw out bearing.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:57 PM
heres another link to some more people that have the same problem as us haha

https://g35driver.com/forums/souther...hattering.html

Old 06-09-2012, 04:10 PM
yeahh I hopeee lol, I'ma just save up for a new exedy clutch+nismo flywheel.. I really hate the noise.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few months ago I bought a 2004 G35 2dr 6MT and soon after, I also had this annoying clutch noise start! From what I have gathered, it is the clutch throwout bearing (as people have already mentioned). I'm told it should be okay as long as the clutch is not actually slipping…

The noise is not consistent and doesn't happen all the time. And it seems to be less likely to occur when the weather is warmer/hot.

I get the noise when I turn the car on with the clutch pressed in and then even when pressing the clutch in to change gears while moving.

Is there really no way to fix this without replacing the clutch. It's super embarassing when you feel like 'Oh, that's right, my car IS a total badass -- Oh, wait. It makes stupid a$$ noises!'