G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Time for Transmission Fluid Change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for Transmission Fluid Change?

I have an 06 5AT coupe with around 41k miles and the way my car shifts is kind of jerky. When I accelerate on the highway and let go of the pedal for a little and immediately accelerate again, the car kind of jerks. I have not experienced this until recently. Would this problem just be the fluid or the transmission itself? I also serviced my car a few weeks ago and the Infiniti guys said I'll need a fluid change. Just asking you guys for confirmation. I read somewhere that a flush is bad for our cars. I'll be making sure to do a drain & refill and use the right fluid (Nissan S-Matic?). I am planning to get a shop to do it instead of the dealer but make sure they use the Nissan fluid. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:52 PM
I would change your fluid, it will not hurt. Make sure you get a full flush (with a flush machine) as opposed to a drain and fill.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:02 AM
I've read a few posts on here where flushes are dangerous and can make it worse. Anything bad with the drain and fill?

Old 07-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
^ There is nothing wrong with the drain and Fill, also if you were to get a Trans Flush done, only do it at the dealer since their machines follow the service manual procedure

Old 07-23-2012, 11:54 AM
I just called the dealer and they said they do not recommend drain and refills b/c it doesn't do much.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every Dealer has a different answer. which is kinda annoying some times. Mines says they will only do drain and refill and do not recommend a flush and actually will not perform one. they told me if I absolutely feel like I need one, that I should go a reputable shop and have it done there.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
i only do a drain and fill.. not saying that flushes are bad.. but i think drain and fill every 30k after 60k miles is what i go by...

i bet even if you do a simple drain and fill, you'll see a difference in smooooothness..

good luck.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Mr.202?

Originally Posted by datsiK.G
I just called the dealer and they said they do not recommend drain and refills b/c it doesn't do much.
The reason they say that is because you are mixing 4-5 good quarts with 5-6 quarts of old fluid. So they mix, this is better than not changing it at all. As the new fluid can still "refresh" old fluid.

With a Flush you are suppose to do 30-40% more fluid than the capacity to get most of it out, but dealers only do ~11 quarts again its still putting mostly fresh fluid in. More than just from a drain and fill.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I recently started doing research on trans fill/flush verses drain/fill. It appears that the flush/fill doing damage to your older high mileage transmission is one of those old wives tales that is perpetuated by the internet. The truth is that if you have a high mileage trans with old burned fluid your trans is probably damaged before you have the flush done and the damage is not caused by the flush. If you just do a drain and fill you are not getting any of the old fluid out of the torque converter. The key is to service your transmission at the recommended intervals and have a complete power fill. It is possible to request just a fill without a flush if flushing makes you nervous. The flush includes the use of a solvent/cleaner first and then a complete refill with new trans fluid. For the OP at 41,000 your within the recommended change interval and a dealer fill would be appropriate. The most popular machines are made by B&G and any local shop that has one can be used. It is just extremely important that the correct Nissan trans fluid is used. I had a new Infiniti dealership do a flush and fill on my trans with a B&G machine the had just gotten and they used B&G Synthetic fluid. It damaged my trans and I ended up getting a new trans & valvebody under the drivetrain warranty.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
I had 70k on my 06 AT when I had it "flushed" at the dealership.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by saywat?
I will go by this document. If Infiniti doesn't recommend then I'll just do drain and fill.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you buy your car brand new? maybe you have a shift kit installed? I wouldnt think only at 40k you have jerking problems unless youre low on fluid.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Mr.202?

Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
I recently started doing research on trans fill/flush verses drain/fill. It appears that the flush/fill doing damage to your older high mileage transmission is one of those old wives tales that is perpetuated by the internet. The truth is that if you have a high mileage trans with old burned fluid your trans is probably damaged before you have the flush done and the damage is not caused by the flush. If you just do a drain and fill you are not getting any of the old fluid out of the torque converter. The key is to service your transmission at the recommended intervals and have a complete power fill. It is possible to request just a fill without a flush if flushing makes you nervous. The flush includes the use of a solvent/cleaner first and then a complete refill with new trans fluid. For the OP at 41,000 your within the recommended change interval and a dealer fill would be appropriate. The most popular machines are made by B&G and any local shop that has one can be used. It is just extremely important that the correct Nissan trans fluid is used. I had a new Infiniti dealership do a flush and fill on my trans with a B&G machine the had just gotten and they used B&G Synthetic fluid. It damaged my trans and I ended up getting a new trans & valvebody under the drivetrain warranty.
Stay far away from any machine that uses solvents, forget it. Read below that's exactly what the TSB is saying.

Originally Posted by saywat?
What this message does not include is the machine the most dealers use, the machine simply hooks up to the cooler lines and cycles fresh fluid into the transmission, no solvents at all. If they use solvents do not do it!

The way my dealer and most do it to a very similar to the method listed in the service manual.

Last edited by thescreensavers; 07-24-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by str8upspeed
did you buy your car brand new? maybe you have a shift kit installed? I wouldnt think only at 40k you have jerking problems unless youre low on fluid.
I doubt it. I bought it used from the dealer with about 21k miles. I put on about 20k in 3 years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time for Transmission Fluid Change?