Old 08-16-2012, 08:31 PM
dx3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about wheel bearings?

Old 08-17-2012, 02:39 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by dx3
What about wheel bearings?
When I had the sound, the dealership replaced the wheel bearings under warranty. It did not solve the problem. I got free bearings out of it though! My sound ended up being my tires that LOOKED to be perfectly fine.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
This will sound stupid easy, and it is, but it can't hurt.. make sure your tires are all inflated to the proper pressure. I had a tire that leaked air, and I could tell when it was low by the sound I heard coming from it (the sound echoed off of curbs/walls/etc).

Old 08-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
This is sad/funny........he's like so many untrained mechanics today, just start throwing parts at your car until you find the cause of the issue. What if you've spent the $2K he suggests and still have the issue? I had the thump noise you describe years ago on my Datsun 510 and the cause was a broken steel belt. Have a tire shop check your tires and wheel bearings....Gary
I am a mechanical engineer. I do all the work on my car. I've been working on cars for ten years. I just replaced the all the bushings and rotating joints in my beater's front end last month. I may not be ASE certified but I think my work is better than the **** dealerships pump out.

I have done extensive research on this issue. The bushings on these cars are weak. Your opinion is your opinion, and mine is stated here because there was a post inquiring about what to do. You trying to discredit me is confusing, but makes sense since you are also a mechanic

Originally Posted by partyman66
Chances are your tires are worn on the inner edges of the fronts. Our cars have an aggressive factory camber setup which leads to accelerated front tire wear on the inside edges. You wouldn't likely notice that they are worn at a quick glance unless you have your wheels turned all the way to one side, but usually this type of wear will make the sound that you've been describing. Check there first before you start throwing money at random parts.
BMWs have aggressive camber and don't have this problem. My friends M3 wears evenly across all four tires. This board mantra that 'these cars have agressive camber / just eat tires' is absurd. They is a design issue, but upgrading to poly bushings will help correct the outer/inner tire wear issue.

Originally Posted by kidtronix
OMG this is no big thing. Its called tire cupping. Plain and simple. You need to go buy new tires. That and that alone is the remedy. My Continental ContiExtremeContact tires (front) on my winter setup roar like hell at slow speeds and especially as Im coming to a stop (as front load weight increases over front tires). Im changing them this year, I cant stand another winter with that noise.
It gets louder when you stop because it is changing the toe due to slop in the bushings. The brakes change the delfection in the suspension; that leads to poor geometry, which leads to huge toe issues.

Alot of lowered Gs and Zs exhihit less tire roar because of the extra twist on the bushings from being lowered. It reduces the 'slack' in the rubber, esp the comp rod bushings.

I don't feel like I am doling out bad advice. What I wrote isn't 2k. if you DIY it's 250 in bushings and an alignment (which you can do yourself - I have). If you are not able to DIY and can't afford to pay someone else then you should have researched your purchase a little more. It doesn't take very long on the forums to see that this a big issue with the z/g platform next to power windor/door motors and 03/4 radios crapping out.