G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

looking to purchase, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2005 | 02:30 AM
|
looking to purchase, need some advice.

First of all, I'm just curious how old are some of you people, and what your occupations are, because I don't make alot of money so I'm trying to jump in the fast lane too. If you have any ideas , i'd appreciate it. As far as the G35 is concerned I'm looking to make a purchase soon, so I was hoping that perhaps i could get some advice as to what options whould I look for, or common maintenance issues if any? Is the investment worth it? whats the most I should pay for a fully loaded 2004 or 2005 G35. I appreciate any advice thanks much.

Old 01-19-2005 | 03:13 AM
First off I'll start you off with this...A car is "NOT" an investment...An investment is something which is going to make you money over time...If money is a problem for you right now which is what you made it sound like, I would hold off on a car for now...If you decided to get a "G" you'd be looking at around 32-34k for an 04 if you can find the right one, plus tax, title, and all that stuff...You'd be looking at a total of about 35-38k when all said done, not to mention maintenace fees...As far as 05's I have no clue, but I'd imagine you'd be looking at about another 2-4k more then the 04's...I'm 22 I'm currently a college student, I work as a waiter, and Ive had 3 internships with a fiber optic company...The internships were 5 month internships that we get paid for and it counts as school credits...Through that and my savings before hand I was able to put enough cash down to finally get a "G"...It's not cheap, and I often find myself worried about doing smaller things in life because of this car payment and insurance payment...But like many people on this board will tell you, if theres one car thats worth the money you put into buying it, its the G35...Gluck with your decision..

Old 01-19-2005 | 01:08 PM
If you have budget issues, I wouldn't recommend G35 at this time. It gets terrible gas mileage.
If you still want it, get a used one. With the '05s being out, the older models should be more affordable. Used first year models should be found in low to mid 20's. You can find it if you look. I did, but decided to go with the '05.
I'm about to turn 30 and I make enough. With my wife, we easily make 125k+ per year. Once she gets her feet wet, we should be pulling high 200k soon. I'm in healthcare and she's a recent grad/attorney.

Good luck.

Old 01-19-2005 | 01:18 PM
G35Gtr....

It is not who we are and what we do....it is who you are and what you do that counts. If you are stable in your finances or have well off parents like some here, you are okay. However, if you are working part time for an unstable business, nope....don't do it.

I concur with the others on this....if money is an issue....wait. However, if you are consumed by this car like most of us were/are....and this is where your heart is.....I say do it. Keep in mind that once a month, someone will send you a letter asking for a lot of money (or in my case, just take it from my bank account).

04 is definitely the way to go. There might be a few used Gs out there but the issue remains the same....gas and other maintenance expenses will come calling.

Oh yeah, I'm a 37 y/o kid making $75+ K

Good luck

Old 01-19-2005 | 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by NextGenG35
If you have budget issues, I wouldn't recommend G35 at this time. It gets terrible gas mileage.
If you still want it, get a used one. With the '05s being out, the older models should be more affordable. Used first year models should be found in low to mid 20's. You can find it if you look. I did, but decided to go with the '05.
I'm about to turn 30 and I make enough. With my wife, we easily make 125k+ per year. Once she gets her feet wet, we should be pulling high 200k soon. I'm in healthcare and she's a recent grad/attorney.

Good luck.
The gas mileage isn't THAT bad. I get 24 on the interstate at 80mph with the A/C on. 19 with a combo of city and highway driving. The G enjoys the taste of premium fuel, though. If you want bad gas mileage, get an RX-8

Old 01-19-2005 | 05:15 PM
I'm 32 and make $80K and am still concerned about how much it's going to cost each month for a G (I'm about 2-3 weeks away from buying one right now - just bought my wife an Altima and paid cash from refinancing our house). This is a tough question to answer, however, because there are so many variables - Your income, how much you have saved for a down payment, your credit, buying vs leasing, how much you plan to drive each month, insurance costs, etc.

A G35 is an unbelievable car, but make no mistake - at ~$35k, this is definitely a luxury car. Please make sure you can afford it before you buy one. The last thing you want is wrecked credit right out of the gate.

--Viral

Old 01-19-2005 | 05:33 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
You guys are some rich folks...Im 24, just graduated and currently making $33k and when I actually get a job in my major I will probably take a pay cut. My current car is $560 month with insurance of $940 over 6 months. My G35 will probably be around $475/month with cheaper insurance since I turn 25 in 8 days.

Old 01-19-2005 | 05:51 PM
Strange to see different peoples perspectives. I'm 31, household income between me and my wife is over 200k - and were debating for weeks if I could plop 30 grand on a car. (please no whipping sound effects)

I don't know how you young folks just starting out are even considering 30-40k for a car! More power to you I guess - I'm definately doing something wrong.

- pink

Old 01-19-2005 | 05:59 PM
I would recommend putting down a large down payment. I put a good amount down and was able to keep my payments under 300. I'm 25 and pulling probably 80-120 depending on the year (commision, ya know). A car payment over 400 is a pretty big burdeon no matter who you are. I'd lay out you expenses right now, look at what you pull in after taxes and go from there. There are some good deals to be had on G's if you look around, and the reliability seems to be rock solid. I second the fuel economy complaint, but my driving style causes that issue, not the car.

Old 01-19-2005 | 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by mr pink
Strange to see different peoples perspectives. I'm 31, household income between me and my wife is over 200k - and were debating for weeks if I could plop 30 grand on a car. (please no whipping sound effects)

I don't know how you young folks just starting out are even considering 30-40k for a car! More power to you I guess - I'm definately doing something wrong.

- pink
You are not doing anything wrong, you are just smart and patient.

Old 01-19-2005 | 06:22 PM
I got mine in Nov when I turned 23. I am making payments of $530/mo for car + $100/mo for insurance. It is a HUGE chunk out of the paycheck!!

Old 01-19-2005 | 07:17 PM
I am 38 and I make around mid $100k per year depending on OT. I really don't suggest buying a car like this until you know you can afford it. But, it all depends on your way of thinking. As was mentioned before, a car is a liability, not an investment. I tend to play it on the safe side. I made sure I had my future pretty much set first. I made sure I had a house and a nice amount of money in IRA's and 401k's before I got silly with my money. Even then, I've invested in a vacation home and I have an after-tax brokerage account that I invest in stocks. Notice, all of the above are investments appreciate - not depreciate - in value. Only then did I figure out if I had enough money to buy the G35 - and even then - only with a huge downpayment (about 50%). To me, it's a lot more enjoyable to own a car when you don't have to worry about paying for it.

Old 01-25-2005 | 03:18 PM
Agreed.

Originally Posted by mr pink

- pink
That was exactly the point I was making. My wife makes close to what I make, so our household is around $150k/yr, and since we bought her car outright, we'll only have one car payment. Even so, a $35,000 car is a frightening proposition.

ChazM - at $33k, you must bring home less than $2000/month. A $560 car payment and $160 insurance payment = $720/month for your car alone, not including gas! So that means almost half of your income goes to your car? Wow... either you must live in a VERY low cost area (to afford rent/mortgage) or still live at home or with someone who takes care of the rent. If that's your situation, then so be it, but most people simply can't (and in my opinion, shouldn't) spend half of their income on a car, no matter how nice it is.

--Viral

Old 01-25-2005 | 03:40 PM
Defaulting on something like a car loan is no joke so really really think about it. Even if you figure out what your expenses are each month, pls include a fudge factor of about 20%. People don't realize how much money leaks out of their pockets by going out to eat, going to 7 Eleven or Starbucks.

Old 01-25-2005 | 04:13 PM
I bought my car in October. 0 Down. I'm a 21 year old with my own business, which leads to variable income. There are months where I think that this car was a bad "investment", such as this past month when it snowed everyday and I couldn't take my G out. Yes, I can get snow tires, but I can't afford to buy snow tires right now. Isn't that a shame. So basically, I paid my payment this month to watch my car sit in my driveway. Sucks. My father laughs and calls my car a 'toy'.

If you "think" you will have trouble paying for this car once you have it, you probably will. I wish I would have saved for a few months and put money down, this way my monthly payments would be much lower. But, i'm only 21 once, and if I can pay for it now, might as well. I don't want to be an old fart like these guys (no offense, lol) and be driving my G around. I now log on to g35driver.com and gawk at everyones aftermarket products.

Still, when I drive... worth every friggin penny. Good luck to you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: looking to purchase, need some advice.