G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Question about Motordyne TDX2 loudness?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 81gSKy
Thank y'all for the advice, I'm just wanting to know which of the two options "Berk HFCs & MD TDX2 Exhaust" or "MD ART Pipes, MD XYZ with HFC Module & Exotic Speed R1-T Exhaust" will have better gain and I guess there differences here are the location of HFC and Single or Dual Exhaust. I've got very keen buyers for both Berk HFCs and the MD TDX2 Exhaust, since they are a rarity from where I am, so I have no problems in selling them and one of the reasons why I've been thinking of this is hearing how good the ART pipes are for gains. As mentioned, if the Berks HFCs ain't holding up then I might as well sell them still brand new and also at least if I need to replace HFC in the future, I will only replace the HFC module which is just one piece at around $250 rather than HFCs at double of that.
Best set up is ARTs/TDX 2 w/ HFC option added.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
You can't have a better exhaust than Motordyne, the quality and sound perfect. Not sure where some members get there knowledge but ART pipes are not as quiet as HFCs! You need to have run both to have an opinion! I didn't mind the sound of my exhaust when running ART pipes it was the stinky exhaust that was the turn off. There's no reason to sell your BERK'S HFCs, keep an eye on them if they start making strange noises call BERK's....they have a 1 year warranty.
Gary

Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Best set up is ARTs/TDX 2 w/ HFC option added.
Yeah it is, but I already asked Hydrazine (Tony) about the length of the HFC Module (12" can some confirm this?) and they don't fit in that setup if I take out the 8" extensions, so the muffler-back exhaust will sit and poke out by 4" and not to mention that one of the ends of the HFC Module uses bolts rather than the V band clamps. Unless Tony is willing to make the HFC Module 8" long and both ends V band clamps, he said no so that's why an Exotic Speed Exhaust System will only fit in the ART Pipes and XYZ Pipe with HFC Module setup. There another member has done this setup before but without ART Pipes and a Resonator Module rather than a HFC Module (https://g35driver.com/forums/reviews...rdyne-xyz.html). If the option you suggested and what I originally had in mind can be done, then I would have done it already...

A side from the sound, I'm wanting to know about the hp/torque gains of the two setup options I said and not other setups (I already know that all MD products together is the best, but that's not what I'm asking).

Cheers!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
You can't have a better exhaust than Motordyne, the quality and sound perfect. Not sure where some members get there knowledge but ART pipes are not as quiet as HFCs! You need to have run both to have an opinion! I didn't mind the sound of my exhaust when running ART pipes it was the stinky exhaust that was the turn off. There's no reason to sell your BERK'S HFCs, keep an eye on them if they start making strange noises call BERK's....they have a 1 year warranty.
Gary
I ran both, as the video I linked to in my last post is of my car being dyno'd with F.I. HFCs and then with ART pipes. My Shockwave exhaust became slightly quieter with ART pipes. Not by much, but enough to be noticeable to me. It certainly didn't get louder.

The same results might not be true for others with different setups (different brand of HFCs, different exhaust brand).

Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks again for all the replies.

I did check out the F.I. HFC vs ART pipes video with the TDX2 exhaust on both. They didn't seem like that much of a difference loudness wise. Thank you for putting up this video for comparison though.

I'm still wondering about the RESONATED F.I. HFC's though. Since they are resonated, it seems as though they would be quieter than both the ARTs and the F.I. HFCs. In a way I guess it makes sense that the ARTs could be a bit quieter compared to regular HFCs, but what about with the resonated HFCs? Hmm...

81gSky, did you notice performance gains with your TDX2 exhaust and oem cats? I've heard that there should be between a 12-17 HP gain just from from the exhaust. Does that sound accurate? How did your car run afterwards? Did you get it tuned after the exhaust? If so, did if feel like it needed it, or just because you wanted to do it? I've heard that a tune isn't neccessary if its just the exhaust so just wondering from your perspective since you ran OEM cats.