G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Hello! Mustang GT owner soon to be G35 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DKano
Being that you have an 01 GT, you're going to love the handling on the G. My 04 GT gave me a good workout, even when going straight I was sometimes adjusting the steering wheel to keep the car straight. Gas is a little better but not THAT much, on my 04 GT I would get about 220miles on a full tank, on the G I get over 300 before the light comes up but these cars have a bigger fuel tank.
Yea your right about the GT being a workout from the heavy clutch to poor handling. Those are probably the 2 main reasons I'm switching to a G. And ofcourse I feel like I need a more stylish, classy sports coupe look.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Kicknshift
Also hows the gas on the G when your smashing around town vs normal driving? Significant difference?
For my GT is it insanely bad. I could kill a quarter tank in 15 minutes.

I had a 2003 GT before my G35x. I actually traded in my GT for my G35. 90K miles...not a single issue. Only money i put into my Mustang was gas and oil changes.

Sadly, i got better gas mileage with my GT running 87 octane. Used to get 26MPG highway pretty consistentely.

Granted, i have the AWD model G35 sedan, so my fuel economy is a little lower, but I have to try much harder to get 25-26MPG on the highway using premium. So it costs me a little more money to drive, but it's a different car which I enjoy. The main reason i traded it in was snow performance.

I also have a 5.0 Mustang.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shane11
Some first good mods would be lowering springs and a motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer.
+1, our cars ride as high as 4 wheelers stock, I hated it lol. And the plenum is a must for our cars as always. But for me, that is comin next, after intake and exhaust.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by G35_ali
IT took me extra year to find the perfect G because I wanted a 6mt! take your time and get a 6mt its worth it, if your coming from a stick you'll get bored
g35 is a great car, try and get a 06 or better but if you can't due to price get an 05, they have the rev up engine and extras like the cd player (instead of casset) etc..

First mod should be exhaust, the G has a amazing stock exhaust but its not loud enough if your a car guy theres many out there a exhaust will run you from 600-1000 depending on what brand

fast intentions, borla, stilllen make great exhaust !
I'd love To get an 06 but the price difference between the 05 and 06 is just too much for me. But who knows maybe I'll find a cheap one.
I got until January 1st to get my G so im defiantly taking my time.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Did you end up taking out a G35 for a test drive yet?

Old 10-30-2012, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Did you end up taking out a G35 for a test drive yet?
I actually did on Saturday!
I was pretty impressed, I didnt think it would pull as hard as my stang but it pulled just as fast and maybe a little quicker too. It honestly felt just like my stang in the straight parts but a lot more comfortable. And I loved the turning in it, that was what impressed me the most. I was not use to it and was probably my favorite part. Oh and obviously the luxury that you feel when you driver it.
Just made me want sell my stang asap and buy that G even sooner. But I still gotta wait till the end of this year.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:11 AM
I'm glad you liked the G35! You should definitely test out some other cars while you're at it though, just so you have a good basis for comparison.

Keep in mind that G35's with a 6MT are geared pretty short. It can make it a bit deceptive when you're judging straight line acceleration. It might feel faster than it is because you're ripping through the gears pretty quick and red-line on an 05/06 G35 is about 1K higher than it is in your current Mustang GT. I almost always skip gears in typical around-town driving when I'm not getting on it that hard. Usually 1-3-6, or 1-3-5-6. I kinda wish they geared it a bit taller, especially 6th gear for highway cruising. G35's could use a nice tall super-overdrive gear like the Mustang GT's have and especially like Chevy uses in their Corvettes and LS1 Camaros 6-speeds.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
i would say the only car that really beats the g35 coupe manual in its class and year would probably be the e46 m3 manual.

I would give that a test drive as well. THe m3 has similar attributes as a g35 but slightly more evolved in comparison to the g35. I decided to use evolved instead of refined since every journalists over uses that word when ever they compare the G to the 3 Series.

Only bad thing is you run into cost issues with the m3 when it comes to repairs and maintaince in comparison to the g35.

But i figure its only fair you treat yourself and test drive it anyways, so your aware of how the car fits in, in comparison.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ahhh, the memories of the older Mustang. I came from a 97 Maxima 5sp and I remember beating that generation Mustang at Atco raceway and Englishtown consistently. I just saw many of those older 5.0 and 4.6 cars because they're so popular around here. It's anything LS1 powered I couldn't come close to! My Max ran consistently in the 14.0-14.2 range. I once ran 14.5 missing 2 gears lol. I've never ran my G35C on the track because I feel it's definitely a bit slower in response. The car is just to freakin heavy. I bet low 14 could be easy enough, but it makes 100 more hp over my old VQ30 Maxima. That's rediculous. I think the G of today copied the heavy weight of the older Mustang and Camaro.

It's interesting hearing from other people who drive different cars. Obviously we all want something else that we can't have. My max got awesome mileage 25mpg around town not even trying to baby it. My G barely makes 20.5 mpg and I'm driving like a grand pop lol. When I was driving my Max I wanted the sleek look and RWD handling the G35 had to offer, but this thing has absolutely no trunk space lol. I realized in 8 years of driving the Maxima I hardly used the trunk or I was the DD because I had a backseat lol.

Good luck. Overall, I believe you'll be pleased with the right G35. Once you get your hands on one I'd change every fluid on the car. There's a lot of DIY and technical support here and over at my350z. Aftermarket support is also very decent, but don't look to run mid or low 13s unless you plan on getting a newer generation VQ35HR powerplant with every bolt on dyno tuned or forced induction and a lot of money invested to break into 12s.

If you just drive it and maintain it, like I do, you'll be happy and the car will treat you right if you return the favor. I find nothing wrong with finding a good 2005 as that's the year I own. Just pull the dipstick and if it's black and more than halfway down you know you've got an oil burner. If it's new and full, I'd be wary and just keep checking lol.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good luck with your search. No matter what year you end up with you'll fall in love with it.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ehhhh, i would put straight line performance neck and neck. i actually feel like the mustang coupe might be a hair quicker. suspension - the G probably wins. I actually like mustangs, great bang for buck especially new ones. I have news for ya too, the new mustang v-6 6 speed will pull on a g coupe stock for stock in a straight line track race so dont expect too much.

These cars are heavy (G). Anyone know what a fully loaded 6 speed coupe weighs anyway???

Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jrockstarr
ehhhh, i would put straight line performance neck and neck. i actually feel like the mustang coupe might be a hair quicker. suspension - the G probably wins. I actually like mustangs, great bang for buck especially new ones. I have news for ya too, the new mustang v-6 6 speed will pull on a g coupe stock for stock in a straight line track race so dont expect too much.

These cars are heavy (G). Anyone know what a fully loaded 6 speed coupe weighs anyway???
I think at least 3,500lbs + driver! It feels heavy in 1st gear lol.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
While it's probably more reliable than that mustang, there are still plenty of minor issues that crop up on these cars. These forums are really helpful though as there are cheap fixes for almost all the issues that crop up.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
good choice to switch from mustang to g35 much more classy car the new mustang look like barbie car or something

Old 11-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by G408
good choice to switch from mustang to g35 much more classy car the new mustang look like barbie car or something
For real?? I know it's a matter of opinion, but I think the new Mustangs... at least the GT trim line and up look pretty badass. They have some real aggressive body and paint packages that make that thing look real mean.

The standard plain old Mustang does look bland though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hello! Mustang GT owner soon to be G35 owner