G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Hello! Mustang GT owner soon to be G35 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by G408
good choice to switch from mustang to g35 much more classy car the new mustang look like barbie car or something
If you read his post you'd know that he doesn't own one of the "new" Mustangs, if he did I'd tell him to stay with the Mustang, especially if it was a 2011+ one, even if it was the v6 model!

Old 11-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
yEAH. Absolutely. The 11+ bodystyle Mustang with the V6 and up are beastly and extremely capable. I can destroy my G35 with a 5.0 and I can out run and outslide it in corners. Mustangs looking like Barbie cars is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life. lol

As to the 01, here's the skinny. The straight line performance on a street test is almost identicle. The G may have a few 10ths of a second on the track or maybe even a half second. While that's huge in the race world, that's barely noticeable on the street. lol. I may be the only person that thinks the G35 is slow. I have an 03 6MT fully loaded (brembo, bose, nav, roof) and I just don't see it as a fast car. I also don't see the point in bolt-ons cuz for the money, they do little imo. The butt dyno may feel a huge increase, but the VQ just doesn't nor has it ever responded well to simple bolt on mods. If you're gonna do something, I'd do exhaust or something to get a different sound, but I PERSONALLY LOVE the sound of the stock exhaust.

So you're probably wondering why I bought my G, right? Because I wanted a fun sports coupe with some luxury options and the G is just that. I absolutley LOVE my car. I love just cruising in it. I love getting it sideways (on a track or road or lot or wherever). I LOVE walking out to it and looking at it. Like, I seriously am just in love with this car. While some may consider my future performance plans a basterdization of the brand, LSx+T56 and I've already started collecting parts for that, that's just to give the car I love some extra grunt. Motor will be pretty stock cuz I didn't buy the car for speed. I'm tightening up the suspension and brakes now, but again, the car is fun. It doesn't have to be the fastest thing in the world..to ME.

I also think the car has timeless lines. My car is 9years old, but since I've completely debagged it, people would never know it (and consistantly don't as I constantly get "what is that" questions and "is that new/when did that come out"...lol). IMO, the 96-2010 Mustangs are really dogs and the lines on any of them aren't really inspiring.

Gas mileage...SUX!!! I'm just gonna put that out there. I don't beat on my car much at all..actually none at all now cuz it's too low and I don't want to bust my oil pan. But, I think the gas mileage sux. I got better gas mileage in my 300C, got better in my F150 Ecoboost, and get better in my Maxima. My G35 is the worst by far. lol. But, it's got the right to be.

I haven't had any real ma...any maintenance issues. My radio speakers seem to be going, but when I'm ready to upgrade the entire stereo system, I'll handle that issue.

All in all, my cars provide everything I wanted it to do and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Well, maybe for the world, but I don't think anyone is gonna give me the world for my car. lol. I am gonna upgrade the heads and tails to 06+ soon. But I specifically looked for an 03-05 cuz I wanted the Brembos. If that doesn't matter, and you can find one, the 06 does look better to me. And if I'm being completely honest, I just wanted brembos to say I have brembos. I will probably never see the true performance gain out of them and I think the 06+ has a similar brake system or possibly a better one...but they aren't brembos. Stupid, I know. But with the money I DIDN'T spend, I can do all the retarded **** I wanna do to it. lol

GL. The is an absolute WEALTH of knowledge on here. Welcome.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:27 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
i'm not a fan of the mustang's retro styling. I dont see the point of spending $30-50k on a car that tries to look like a car from 50yrs ago. You be better of just buying a 1960's mustang for cheap and drop in a 5.0.

I'd rather own a car that's more unique looking. If Ford, makes the EVOS concept mustang with a v6 ecoboost, then Ford has my attention.
It'll be interesting to see if Fords tries to appeal to Gen Y buyers with the EVOS mustang or stick with the Gen X crowd with the retro styling.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Good luck finding a 1960's Mustang for cheap. lol.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
You be better of just buying a 1960's mustang for cheap and drop in a 5.0.
But then you'd end up with an unsafe (in an accident), uncomfortable car that is much less reliable than a modern car and will break down more often, can't handle or brake well and is hard to find replacement parts for and has no modern amenities.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by driftsucky
maybe its because i'm in California, but just doing a quick craigslist search, i see a bunch of 1960's mustang ranging from $2500 for project level cars to about $15k for restored and modded out mustangs.

I would consider that pretty cheap, since the baseline civic with no options and manual starts at $16.5k msrp. I'm sure you can find them even cheaper if you go to those classic car sites, but this is just from a 2min search on craigslist.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...384194275.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...414865872.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...423155482.html

Old 11-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
But then you'd end up with an unsafe (in an accident), uncomfortable car that is much less reliable than a modern car and will break down more often, can't handle or brake well and is hard to find replacement parts for and has no modern amenities.
You can always just drop in a new 5.0, which from what it seems, is pretty reliable. You can buy the crate motor and transmission from ford for around $10k. For even cheaper you can drop in a used LS motor with custom mounts and such for probably $5-6k, depending on if your doing or if a shop is doing.

Since the car doesn't use a CAN system, it would be easy to hook up and you can probably even reuse the stock speedo. Since the car is built before 1975, you don't even have to worry about smog.

The only thing i would really do is upgrade to wider tires and stronger brakes.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 PM
When I see it done, I'll believe it to be "just that easy". I mean, I hear what you're saying, but you can't be the only person who thinks that, yet I've never seen a new crate motor dropped in these old cars sans a WCC or something. Sounds good though.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What made me get my G35 was the price i got it for, i was never a fan of those cars until i drove it (i came from a 4 banger mazda6) and the power was the biggest difference, and the looks of the car, handling its alright mazda had more of the zoom zoom feeling . I would say they are pretty reliable, but the window motors, door locks suck in these cars, also the shitty headunits that we have and they jam... But handling will be a step up for you.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:55 AM
When I see it done, I'll believe it to be "just that easy". I mean, I hear what you're saying, but you can't be the only person who thinks that, yet I've never seen a new crate motor dropped in these old cars sans a WCC or something. Sounds good though.
They put in LS1's into civics and miatas. A mustang shouldn't be a big problem.

Ls1 in a 67 mustang. There's another video of him doing a burn out.

http://youtu.be/NEPYBd5VwiA

Old 11-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Money can make ANYTHING happen. Dropping an LSX motor into a G35 is now a simple plug-n-play but it's still not commonly done even though it isn't "hard" to do. I'm not saying it can't be done. What I'm saying is it's easier to get a new 5.0 than dropping a 5.0 in a 60's Mustang and you get SO much more. And considering the sales that it has and the market it hits, I don't think that it's because it CAN'T be done the way you suggested. I think people would just prefer doing it the conventional way...you know...cuz the new Mustang is a nice car.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Money can make ANYTHING happen. Dropping an LSX motor into a G35 is now a simple plug-n-play but it's still not commonly done even though it isn't "hard" to do. I'm not saying it can't be done. What I'm saying is it's easier to get a new 5.0 than dropping a 5.0 in a 60's Mustang and you get SO much more. And considering the sales that it has and the market it hits, I don't think that it's because it CAN'T be done the way you suggested. I think people would just prefer doing it the conventional way...you know...cuz the new Mustang is a nice car.
I never implied it can't be done. You did.

In this post your implying it can't be done since you never seen it done, and you will believe it when you see it.

I showed you can it be done with a 2min google search and i even posted youtube links.

Here your even implying 1965 mustang is expensive or a rare car.

I proved you wrong again with a 2min craigslist search showing cars ranging from $4-16k.

I didn't imply anything about your insinuating. Do you even check any of your facts before you post? It doesnt seem so, based on your last three posts.

My opinion, was for people who want a car that looks like a 1965 mustang, they should just buy a 1965 mustang.

I belive when a car manufacturer, comes out with a new model car, they should be offering the best styling, tech and drive train they can possibly offer.

I think Fords drive trains are pretty solid and their my touch is ok. I believe Fords best styling they can offer is something now, not something from 50 years ago. Hence my dislike for the retro style and my appreciation of the EVOS concept mustang.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:04 AM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow, you're still on this back and forth crap!?!? Fact is people wanted a Mustang that had that retro styling a couple of years ago, that's why Ford sold so many of them. Same thing with GM with the Camaro and Dodge with the Challenger. Real Mustang enthusiasts don't like it when the design of the car goes too far from that original design, which is why Ford was having a hard time with them in the 80's and 90s. The Mustang was pretty much dying a slow death until they decided to go with the retro styling. The Camaro was having the same problem, they even stopped making them for a couple of years because they just weren't selling.

Oh and as far as them being easy to find, well you found the ones people are not looking for. Go find a 1967 GT500 in good condition for cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/329-1967-Shelby-GT500-428

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-Mustang-Shelby-GT-500-Britney-Blue-428-engine

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...item3a7bf1474a

Oh, and if you went and bought one of those cars I posted and then you went and put an LS1 in them you would just be an idiot!
So yeah, your opinion is that manufacturers should not design cars that are in any way similar to the original designs they had 20-60 years ago. It's your opinion and I guess we have to respect that. You don't understand car enthusiasts much though. But yeah, find me an original 1967 GT500 in good condition for under $20K.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
I blah blah blah implying blah blah blah you implied blah blah yada yadda yada.

I didn't IMPLY anything. I made clear, consise, and direct statements that stated clearly what I meant them to. You didn't PROVE anything because there was never an argument or statement made that implied a burden of proof or lack thereof. I know what can and can't be done. I stated that I'd seen done what we've discussed. What I DID say is it's not as easy as YOU make it seem to be. And I said that I'd seen shops do similar things but it's not as common as what you make it out to be (i.e., the videos you posted were examples of your agreeance with my previous statements).

That said, I don't really see why it matters much seeing as how it has little or nothing to do with the OP and neither of us have nor plan on buying Mustangs of any year and dropping modern engines in them. BEST case scenario, you'd CONSIDER buying an Evos. That means, to me, you MAY go to a dealership upon their release, walk around it, maybe even go for a test drive, and then not buy it because you never really WANTED one to begin with. But, I'm glad we've had this meaningless internet quibble about nonsense and foolishness. And I believe you've bested me.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VQdriver
I think at least 3,500lbs + driver! It feels heavy in 1st gear lol.
they weigh 3400+ driver..and almost any mustang prior to 2005 ((there are exceptions like roushes and some cobra R's)) is a very close race...a lot of it has to do with how good the driver is

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hello! Mustang GT owner soon to be G35 owner