G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

downshift rev matching and using the clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by lcysimon
buy a 370z with synchro rev and call it a day...
Like you came out of your mother's womb able to trail heel-toe, trail brake, and throttle steer in your knitted booties.

Sheesh, why are so many people so critical on these boards. The OP asked a legitimate question. So he might be uninformed or young, but everyone started out as a driving noob, and not everyone has the advantage of knowing someone who is good at driving manual to teach them.

Originally Posted by PAIXAO
Brakes are for stopping.

Down shifting is for accelerating.

Please read here --> https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...orrectly+drive

Then share it with your dumbazz friend so he can learn how to drive a MT also.
Down shifting isn't only for accelerating. It is also to not lub your engine or to make sure your engine is in a happy operating range. There are times I heel-toe in daily driving, and not just to feel cool. It makes for a smoother driving experience.

Basically, you want to heel-toe when you are using your brakes and slowing down, but not coming to a complete stop, and want to be in gear to continue moving afterwards. Like say you are coming off the freeway onto a protected right hand turn (like merging onto a street with its own lane, no pedestrian crossing with barrier, yield sign with protective island and no pedestrian crossing, etc.) You are going from whatever 65 to a nice comfortable speed for a turn like 30 or whatever, and want to then gently accelerate to whatever the speed limit is on the street. Even if you aren't being go go speed-racer, gentle brakes, gentle heel-toe, and gentle gas is the smoothest and most painless way to do this.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Exactly my point. You're down shifting to be in the proper gear for acceleration.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
Pschtttt. Look at you guys. Granny shifting. No double clutchin' like ya should. Now me and the mad scientest gotta go tear down the blocks. You never had me. You never had ya CAR!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

That's what I read. lol.

But, for srs, if you're trying to drive an MT in normal driving conditions, you shouldn't NEED a technique. You shift around the 2-3k range when accelerating. To BRAKE (aka break), you use the brake pedal. That's what it's there for. The only reason it would matter if you're getting passed by autos is if you're racing...which clearly you have no business doing. Drive regular. Leave douchebag driving for douchebags. And if you really want to LEARN to enjoy spirited driving in your car, hit an autoX or SCCA event like a normal tax paying human being and stop trying to run with Toretto and Team Damien.

I threw in F&F references to appeal to the youngster in you.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by totopo
Sheesh, why are so many people so critical on these boards.
You do realize that very few members on this forum actually take their cars to a track.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=totopo;6637804]Like you came out of your mother's womb able to trail heel-toe, trail brake, and throttle steer in your knitted booties.

Sheesh, why are so many people so critical on these boards. The OP asked a legitimate question. So he might be uninformed or young, but everyone started out as a driving noob, and not everyone has the advantage of knowing someone who is good at driving manual to teach them.

Calm down...

I am serious... Just buy a 370z... not everyone is interested in driving the car to its limit...
I daily drive my G 60 miles a day and the synchro rev can actually make your life better... especially in traffic...