G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Where to buy a replacement performance engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey guys, ok I just spoke GTM motorsports and they suggested that if I was going to do a build or buy an engine, I might as well go big to get my moneys worth out of it. I was only concerned with superchargers and their new stage 2 GTM supercharger kit is capable up to 600HP. Apparently, its the most power superchargers on the market for your cars. I could be wrong though. Ok, so after discussing that with GTM, I asked them if their basic long block would work. They told me that it work great without any issues. I don't see the reason to get anything more than the basic long block if I'm going to stay around 600HP. That being said, can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 long block engines below. One is from GTM and the other is from Importpartspro.

GTM Basic Long Block $5,799.00
This engine is rated up to 600 wheel-horsepower and includes the following:

Labor:
Teardown inspection and cleaning of the core
Cleaning and Inspecting Cylinder heads
Mag and micro polishing of the crankshaft
Balancing of the rotating assembly
Resurfacing (decking) of the block
Boring and honing of the block (with a torque plate)
Assembly of the long block
Fully timed and ready to drop in

Parts:
Wiseco®/GTM® Extreme Duty pistons
Eagle® rods (with their alignment and resizing)
Rear main seal assembly
OEM bearings
ARP® 8740 main studs
ARP® 2000 11mm head studs (torqued to 85ft. lbs.)
OEM Rev-Up Oil Pump
OEM Oil pick up screen
OEM Camshaft Bolt seals
OEM Engine Gasket Set

Importpartspro Stage 1 Long Block $4,400.00

This Stage 1 VQ35 Long Block is good for someone who wants a safe turbo charged or super charged Nissan 350z or Infiniti G35 without the worry of detonation. The stage 1 package is good for up to 600 Rwhp. The Stage 1 VQ35 Long block comes with a full one year warranty against defects and comes with our 10+ years experience on building Nissan/Infiniti motors.

This Package includes:

Wiseco Pistons .020 over
Eagle/SCAT H Beam Rods
ARP Rod Bolts
Block inspected and cleaned
Block redecked
Block Bored and Honed using a Torque Plate
Rotating assembly balanced
Crank magnafluxed and the journals micro-polished
New Moly coated Race Spec main bearings installed
New Moly coated Race Spec rod bearings installed
Block prepped and assembled
New OEM Head Gaskets
Heads inspected and cleaned
Heads redecked
Ported exhaust and intake runners
3 angle valve job
New OEM Valve stem seals installed
Valve Stem Heights set
Cold Clearance set for stock cams
Heads prepped and assembled
New OEM Rev-up Oil Pump

Engine will come with Heads bolted to block and torqued to spec

*** Ceramic/Moly Coating can be added to the Piston Tops and Skirts for an Additional $250.

I'm not sure I see the cost benefit in going with the engine from GTM. Maybe I don't see something. I thought since the supercharger I would buy would be from them, that maybe they would make me a good package deal for the long block and engine. I just don't know if they can match the Importpartspro price. Its $1400 cheaper.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by Hiro; 12-03-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Lol how would there be a cost benefit in going with GTM when IPP is cheaper?? I don't understand that haha. Personally I don't think they'll do a package deal either. Just go with what you want really. Both companies are great.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Ok, after a bit of closer look....the only thing that really looks different is that the GTM engine comes with ARP main and head studs. That is a $550 upgrade if I go with the engine from IPP. Still looks like IPP is the way to go. Now I have some forced induction questions, but I will post those in that section. If anyone else has anymore info to offer please chime in. Thanks.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by djhiro
Ok, after a bit of closer look....the only thing that really looks different is that the GTM engine comes with ARP main and head studs. That is a $550 upgrade if I go with the engine from IPP. Still looks like IPP is the way to go. Now I have some forced induction questions, but I will post those in that section. If anyone else has anymore info to offer please chime in. Thanks.
Search the FI threads here and on my350z first. It'll answer a lot of your questions and you'll learn a lot from them. Also don't ask questions on my350z about this subject. They'll just rip and flame you.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Also for IPP. The stage 1 longblock is good up to 600hp while the stage 1 shortblock is good for 650hp. Then you can buy stage 2 heads. That's the route I'm going

Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
1. The Vortech is capable of over 500 wheel horsepower with just a simple pulley upgrade. I would highly suggest a fuel return system, and larger injectors and an upgraded pump is a must. You will also need to upgrade the intercooler.

2. Also take into account that the GTM motor is fully timed and ready to have the basics transferred from your old motor and dropped in. The IPP motor will need the timing covers installed along with the sprockets and chains and such. So depending on how mechanically inclined you are, you save the money by timing the motor yourself. If you cant do it yourself, then the cost of labor to have someone else do it may negate the price difference and you might as well go GTM.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Hey O6G35Coupe, I'll let at the shortblock packages as well. If there is a noticeable difference then I might go that route and get a separte upgraded head then.

Thanks for your reply AreSicks. The GTM supercharger kit actually comes with larger injectors and an upgraded fuel pump. I don't remember seeing a fuel return system though. How can you see the issue with not having the timing accounted for in the IPP engine by just the description I provided? Also, I was under the impression that I would need a new valve train assembly (chain, guides, sprockets) anyway. I thought this regardless if it was from GTM or IPP. I would go the GTM route, if it seems like a better deal. Right now its $1400 more, and the only thing I see are ARP bolts added in the GTM engine. The shop that is more than likely going to do the job for me, asked if the motor from GTM has done any work to the heads? They could not tell by the description.

Do you have any inside information or a more descriptive breakdown of what GTM does compared to the IPP engine? I appreciate the info on the timing, and I will let my shop know so I can account for extra labor involved if any.

Thanks again.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm looking at doing some upgrades to my 04 coupe. I'm looking at going with forced induction, but instead of rebuilding, I'm leaning to buying a replacement engine. I'm worried that with my 166K mile original engine, it may cost more for labor and parts; especially, if more parts besides pistons and rods need to be replaced. Again, this leads me to a replacement engine instead.

I know of 3 places that sell long block engines: Importpartspro, Z1 motorsports, and GTM motorsports. Importpartspro has be best deal on long block engines. Z1 motorsports has longblock engines, but they are more expensive for some reason. GTM sells perfomance longblocks and some have turbos on them already. I like this option, but I'm looking to go with a supercharger instead. Does anyone know of any other places to get peformance engines for the G, and if possible, a peformance engine with an installed supercharger already on it?

Thanks for the help.

Tony
I might have an 07 uprev engine for sale with 40k miles for sale soon

Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by grazsrootz
I might have an 07 uprev engine for sale with 40k miles for sale soon
Hes buying a built engine. Not a stock one

Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Hey O6G35Coupe, I'll let at the shortblock packages as well. If there is a noticeable difference then I might go that route and get a separte upgraded head then.

Thanks for your reply AreSicks. The GTM supercharger kit actually comes with larger injectors and an upgraded fuel pump. I don't remember seeing a fuel return system though. How can you see the issue with not having the timing accounted for in the IPP engine by just the description I provided? Also, I was under the impression that I would need a new valve train assembly (chain, guides, sprockets) anyway. I thought this regardless if it was from GTM or IPP. I would go the GTM route, if it seems like a better deal. Right now its $1400 more, and the only thing I see are ARP bolts added in the GTM engine. The shop that is more than likely going to do the job for me, asked if the motor from GTM has done any work to the heads? They could not tell by the description.

Do you have any inside information or a more descriptive breakdown of what GTM does compared to the IPP engine? I appreciate the info on the timing, and I will let my shop know so I can account for extra labor involved if any.

Thanks again.
I just know from my research that the GTM motors come timed, and the IPP's do not. I am not sure if GTM uses all new timing parts, but I would hope so. That would be something to look into. You will want to use new guides/tensioners/sprockets/chains, which run over 500 bucks altogether. So if GTM is 1500 more expensive, then the IPP motor + 500 bucks in arp bolts, over 500 bucks in timing components, and at least 500 in labor, it will even out in the end - So you might as well just go GTM and let them do all of the work. As far as the heads go, the GTM basic longblock has the heads cleaned/resurfaced/inspected, the stage 0 has all new OEM valves/springs/etc.

The z1 packages are 3395 for the short block, and 945 for the stage 1 heads (which are the equivalent of the IPP stage 1/gtm basic heads). So add in the timing components, heads studs, and labor and it comes out to the same as GTM just like the IPP will.

Choose the more reputable company, or choose which will be less hassle for you. I would suggest seeing which company will machine the block for HR head gaskets as well. This way you can run the HR gaskets which route coolant differently and is better/more efficient.