G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

First real performance mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile First real performance mods

Hi I have an 05 G35 Coupe 5AT that I'm finally going to do performance mods on.
I am getting a motordyne copper plenum 5/16 spacer for a good deal but how will I know it is legit? any brand markings on the spacer anywhere to prove authenticity?
Also i'm going to go with a K&N drop in filter but can I get a rev up air box from the 06MT's and use it on my 5AT? I am going to use a Z tube from an 03-06 350z.
then hopefully soon i am going to change up my Cat backs to High Flow and I've seen on here that the Kintex seems to be the best value and keeps the G sounding very nice
Any ways let me know what you guys think about my set up and leave me some tips!

Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The 5/16th is authentic, I don't know of any copper knock-offs. K&N will work well and yes you can buy a rev-up box, typically they just sell the back half and it just snaps on. Z-tube won't do too much performance wise but will make it sound better and arguably flow better. I would get an exhaust first, then replace the cats as once you remove them you will slightly throw off the A/F ratio and should look into an Osiris tune after you replace the cats. Transgo kits are also highly recommended for a 5AT. You should also be able to shave down your front 2 runner on your lower plenum to replicate an MREV2 and gain a few hp/tq out of a simple project.

Happy modding!

The following 2 users liked this post by Darkstar752:
jonavalos93 (12-26-2012), superchargedg (12-27-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 12:47 AM
oh okay, so with the rev up box should i be getting better performance? imo i feel like its a cheaper route than going with the stillen high flow air box plus its OEM. and with the exhaust which would you recommend? I've seen alot having this rasp noise, so i want to keep it as smooth as possible.
I havent heard about transgo kits? what are they? any diy's on that last part with shaving the front 2 runner? sorry for all the questions, still learning everything as i go lol

Old 12-26-2012, 01:21 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
The Transgo is an upgrade for the valve body, it allows the transmission to shift quicker. For the 5/16 spacer just visit Motordyne's website and look at the pictures, or PM Hydrazine with a picture of the one you plan on buying to verify its authenticity. There are spacers that look similar to MD's but aren't. The gains from the rev-up air box will be very minimal, if there are any to begin with.

The following users liked this post:
jonavalos93 (12-26-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
There was massive test done by one of the members here on many if not all the intakes that are available for our cars and the rev up box w/ high flow filter worked best. As far as exhaust goes if you don't want any issues with rasp or any related exhaust problems 3 names come to mind 1. Motordyne 2. Fast Intentions and 3.HKS w/ x pipe mod. All these exhaust will give you the best sound and performance. Transgo kit is something that will improve your shifting substantially many ppl say it feels like your actually driving a manual car. With the transgo shift you may also wanna look into a grounding kit. They work hand in hand, the transgo kit takes care of the mechanical and the grounding kit takes care of the electrical when it comes to shifting in M mode.

Like said before happy modding.

The following users liked this post:
jonavalos93 (12-26-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 01:49 AM
I'm glad you guys brought up that Transgo kit, because i have never heard about it, but after some research def not something I will install on my own lol. So are you referring to the OEM rev up hi flow box? or an aftermarket one? because the stillen high flow runs about 200 but has that cone filter? I read up that cone filters garbage?

Old 12-26-2012, 01:56 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
If you want an intake that gives performance gains then you want the stillen z-tube/air box.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed my Z tube. I am waiting on my Stillen air box, and my R2C air filter. I found this (after reading dozens of threads, for months) to be what seems like the best combination of sound and performance (while minimal). We all know what the Z tube does. The Stillen air box is sealed off, so heat soaking should't be a problem, and it allows you to use a cone filter. I have read numerous mixed reviews of K&N filters. I finally decided on the R2C because I coluldn't find any negative reviews of them, its reusable/washable, and requires no oil.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Intake should be one of the last mods you do IMO, just get a K&N drop in and save the money for other things. I have the Motordyne TDX2, and I wouldn't buy anything else. It sounds absolutely amazing and the gains are definitely there and noticeable, it's better designed for NA power than any other exhaust for our cars. If I could go back and do it again I would have just saved up and put that on before anything else.

For the MREV you remove a ~4MM off the front 2 runners and shave them flat. If anyone close to you has it, see if you can just take a quick peek at it. It's fairly simple. I have an authentic one but after seeing it you can just DIY, it probably won't be as high quality but you should still realize some gains.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Intake should be one of the last mods you do IMO, just get a K&N drop in and save the money for other things. I have the Motordyne TDX2, and I wouldn't buy anything else. It sounds absolutely amazing and the gains are definitely there and noticeable, it's better designed for NA power than any other exhaust for our cars. If I could go back and do it again I would have just saved up and put that on before anything else.

For the MREV you remove a ~4MM off the front 2 runners and shave them flat. If anyone close to you has it, see if you can just take a quick peek at it. It's fairly simple. I have an authentic one but after seeing it you can just DIY, it probably won't be as high quality but you should still realize some gains.
Okay so update on my mods: I ended up getting my copper Iso thermal from performance Nissan for 237 otd not too bad but would've been the same price if I would've drove to LA to pick it up. Now just a few questions on install, do I need to oil the gasket and I picked up a loaner tourq wrench that is feet per pound. Is this the right tool and or can I just use my impact driver?

Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Only use the torque wrench, nothing else!

You've received some good advice from our members, congratulations! However, no you don't need to oil your gaskets when installing the plenum spacer just make sure the rubber around the oil filter isn't tucked inside the plenum before torqing down the bolts. Intakes (can't believe what mags/manufactures claim) offer no increase in HP. However by getting a K&N drop in filter and z-tube you'll love the extra sound and increase the airflow. Exhaust systems, look no further than Motordyne for great sound/rwhp and quality! HFCs, my choice is FI, I wasted my $$ on BERK'S and they didn't last a year....you don't need that! Once you've installed the spacer/intake/exhaust and HFCs you'll need to get an Osiris tune due to a lean condition. Look no further than SpecialtyZ in Canoga Park, Seb knows everything regarding our Nissan products....Enjoy the ride!
Gary

Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by jonavalos93
Okay so update on my mods: I ended up getting my copper Iso thermal from performance Nissan for 237 otd not too bad but would've been the same price if I would've drove to LA to pick it up. Now just a few questions on install, do I need to oil the gasket and I picked up a loaner tourq wrench that is feet per pound. Is this the right tool and or can I just use my impact driver?
Just follow the DIY install video. You're supposed to use a Inch/Lb tq wrench, but I just tightened them by feel with a ratchet and had no problem. I wouldn't use an impact driver. I oiled my Aramid gasket before putting it in per the video. You only need a 10mm socket and plier for the hoses.

Picture DIY:
http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drive...r-dummies.html

Video:

Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 PM
so 1:45 on the video is the new gasket on 2:23? my copper iso thermal didnt come with that gasket so would i just skip the step at 2:09 of removing that lower plenum? or should my kit have came with it? sorry for all the questions guys!

Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Just follow the DIY install video. You're supposed to use a Inch/Lb tq wrench, but I just tightened them by feel with a ratchet and had no problem. I wouldn't use an impact driver. I oiled my Aramid gasket before putting it in per the video. You only need a 10mm socket and plier for the hoses.

Picture DIY:
http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drive...r-dummies.html

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX4hUGVC5gg

Old 12-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
You've received some good advice from our members, congratulations! However, no you don't need to oil your gaskets when installing the plenum spacer just make sure the rubber around the oil filter isn't tucked inside the plenum before torqing down the bolts. Intakes (can't believe what mags/manufactures claim) offer no increase in HP. However by getting a K&N drop in filter and z-tube you'll love the extra sound and increase the airflow. Exhaust systems, look no further than Motordyne for great sound/rwhp and quality! HFCs, my choice is FI, I wasted my $$ on BERK'S and they didn't last a year....you don't need that! Once you've installed the spacer/intake/exhaust and HFCs you'll need to get an Osiris tune due to a lean condition. Look no further than SpecialtyZ in Canoga Park, Seb knows everything regarding our Nissan products....Enjoy the ride!
Gary
for now im sticking with under the hood until the my piggy bank refills
So would you suggest for a nice sound getting a ztube and k&n drop in or would i be better off with the R2C air filter and a z tube? i like that heat shield that closes off with the hood, or stillen air box with that same filter. better yet lets say most cost efficient that produces the best outcome

Old 12-27-2012, 01:30 AM
Premier Member

Received 417 Likes on 336 Posts
I would second the Z-tube/ K&N drop in option for the intake, for the price/performance you really can't beat it. next step would be HFC or test pipes, then depending on your budget an Uprev tune or cat back and uprev tune... if you can afford both do it, otherwise skip the cat back. For the price you won't get the results you would expect, its more about looks and sound.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First real performance mods