G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Trunk Leak 05 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trunk Leak 05 coupe

Got a used 05 coupe and the passenger side was previously banged up and all work seems to have been done by a half *** idiot. Didnt even remove the tail lights when re-painting the rear quarter panel. The trunk lid is also a little misaligned. With that said this shoddy work is obviously the reason for the leak I have in my trunk. I went into the trunk with a flashlight and I pinpointed where the water was coming from at least. Coming from the trunk lid right below where the trunk shocks are bolted in. None of these bolts are wet so doesnt seem to be coming from the actual bolt openings due to being to loose or something. But the water is right on the other side of these bolts inside an inner channel. Not sure if this is a good explanation. another thing I noticed is that there is always condensation build up at the base of the rear windshield glass. Does anyone have any info that could help me. Could water be coming in thru the rubber grommet thing that is only on the passenger side trunk? The rubber gasket lining around the trunk seem to be fine. But I am sure this is where everyone will recommend me to start. I have pics attached with red circles labeling where the water was noticed. The red line before the arrow marks where the water is first noticed and than its path in blue. Thanks for any info that may help or speed this fix up.

Attached Thumbnails Trunk Leak 05 coupe-p1020072.jpg   Trunk Leak 05 coupe-p1020074.jpg  

Last edited by TotalChump; 01-20-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
While I cant give you a solution to the problem, I might at least be able to point you in the right direction. I had an Audi before my G35 and I bought it with a prior salvage title. The body work looked good on the outside, however once I had the car for a while and started poking around I realized that the work appeared to have been done by someone who had never even heard the words "body work". over-spray and filler all over the place, mis-aligned panels everywhere, long story short, shitty work. I didnt have any leaks, but I brought the car to a body shop to have them inspect the work and try and establish any problems that existed or might show up in time. They had a lot of useful information and were able to give me an idea on what I could do to fix the problems myself before I would have to let them do it.

So, if I were you, I would get a second opinion from someone who actually knows the ins and outs of body work and collision repair. He can probably pinpoint the problem area for you. Most shops wont even charge you to look at it.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 PM
I brought to a collision repair shop that does a lot of work on Infinitis since the local dealership sends the cars to him. He is going to take a look at it next week, but he said he feels like the rear quarter panel was not welded on properly or something when they replaced. I dont think this is the reason tho, it is clearly a trunk lid issue in my eyes. But when he has his eyes on it I will see if he changes his opinion.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this exact problem on the drivers side. When I pour water on it from a few inches above the rear winshield it leaks. It might be leaking from the rear glass gasket/molding. I'm getting mine fixed asap and will let you know if you still have this issue.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 AM
jp have you been in any accidents? I still havent gotten mine looked at. Gonna bring it in 2 weeks. Let me know what the fix is for you and how much. I will post mine as well. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm the second owner. The car had a clean carfax when I bought the car but it was in an accident. The driver side quarter has been replaced. I was quoted around $150 to remove the rear windshield and replace the seal/gasket. But thats only if it's the real problem. I also have a tail light leak which I will fix tomorrow.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:45 AM
So I got my car back from the shop and he said that right under the trunk lid when you pop it open where the quarter panel and the trunk meet there are 2 panels that are welded together. He said that seam was popped open and they fixed that. I will try to send pics. But its basically when you lift the trunk open and thay area by the hinges you see some sort of welding.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 AM
JP any updates? My leak issue has not been resolved with the round 1 patching of the weld directly under the trunk lid seam. My entire rear interior of my car is now living in my basement and I have been able to determine that water is indeed coming in thru thru the side of the windshield. It is traveling down the side of the windshield and getting inside. My deck speakers are shot because of this. I too was quoted $150 by safelite to remove the windshield and attempt to re-install with the necessary beads. However if the glass pops its on me to pay for replacement. I am thinking of just running a bead of silicone from the outside. I can lift that little flap of rubber that is lined around the glass and shoot some silicone in there to see if that plugs up the seal betwen the glass and the car. I know pretty much where it is. $150 is not bad, but if I can just patch it myself and not risk breaking the glass might be worth it. I will post some pics.

Last edited by TotalChump; 04-23-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 AM
1st pic you can see the wonderful art work done by the body guy along the side of the glass. As you can see at the bottom the water still gets in and begins building up at the bottom of the glass where it eventually will drip down and saturated my speakers that I got to replace.

2nd pic is some amazing cinematography by myself as I reached in and snapped a pic towards the back of the car. The water ALSO goes down this panel and in the 3rd pic you can see where it shows its face in the trunk.

3rd pic was taken from inside the trunk where the water deposits

Just to add, it appears as tho this area is not on properly as well, The panel is not snugly against the unibody. But once the glass leak is fixed I dont think this will be an issue.

Attached Thumbnails Trunk Leak 05 coupe-imag0061.jpg   Trunk Leak 05 coupe-imag0064.jpg   Trunk Leak 05 coupe-imag0071.jpg  
Old 05-19-2013, 11:52 PM
I got the rear glass re-installed since thats where water was getting in. Leak is gone. But now for the new problem, the dude re-installed the left side (79763AM81A-) and right side reveal moldings (79762AM81A-1431975-110883) on the wrong side. The 2 are different in that there is a recessed notch on one end that goes at the top. Any input on what the deal is if these are installed at the bottom? I noticed they looked a little sloppy and were not uniform riding up the side of the glass. Could this be related to the wrong side install? Seems weird because they were just 2 straight pieces of rubber, I also cant see what the real reason why one is L and other is R. Any info appreciated.