G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Help me and my pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2013 | 07:27 PM
|
Help me and my pipe

The motordyne ART pipe considered an HFC right?

so for example my setup

CAI > Header > HFC > ypipe > mid pipe > catback?

The tanabe exhaust came with the mid pipe and the catback, I got the y-pipe as well.. I was considering Berk HFC, but people told me to get ART pipes instead.. These would be a direct replacement for the cats?

Old 04-02-2013 | 09:01 PM
ART pipes are techiniquely test pipes but different, they are the best so buy them. A catback exhaust is from the cats back lol. Yes the ART pipes will replace your stock cats.

Old 04-03-2013 | 01:21 AM
Xet
Make sure you are aware of your local regulations, for example in cali art pipes/test pipes are illegal and you won't pass smog.

Old 04-03-2013 | 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Xet
Make sure you are aware of your local regulations, for example in cali art pipes/test pipes are illegal and you won't pass smog.
+1, for example test pipes are illegal in nj but they don't do a smog test.

Old 04-03-2013 | 10:41 AM
Premier Member
Premier Member
Do some research and figure out what YOU want, not just what someone says is best. There are pro's and con's to both HFC and test pipes (ART pipes are the gucci of test pipes).. whichever one you go with it will be a big upgrade from stock

Old 04-03-2013 | 10:47 AM
ART pipes are nothing more than high $$ fancy test pipes, yes they're illegal in all states! HFCs are legal in most states, sound great and you won't have the stinky exhaust smell of the ART pipes. Fast Intention HFCs are much better than Berks....been there, done all of this!
Gary

Old 04-03-2013 | 10:53 AM
|
Thanks everyone for your help. So we have concluded the ART pipes replace the stock cats, and I will have no problem directly putting them in? I take out the stock cats, and directly put the art pipes in?

Old 04-03-2013 | 10:55 AM
|
Originally Posted by gary c
ART pipes are nothing more than high $$ fancy test pipes, yes they're illegal in all states! HFCs are legal in most states, sound great and you won't have the stinky exhaust smell of the ART pipes. Fast Intention HFCs are much better than Berks....been there, done all of this!
Gary
Oh ART pipes have that nasty smell??

The reason I was leaning towards art instead of hfc is because of the "rasp" it would provide to me..

I called in to a couple different performance shop and they said with my tanabe ypipe/catback, the rasp shouldn't be too bad..

Will I notice rasp with ART as well?

Old 04-03-2013 | 11:07 AM
Rasp is created buy putting to much exhaust volume in a system that doesn't flow well. If you have a high flow system you won't have rasp with HFCs! Mistakes are made by adding ART pipes or HFCs to the OE exhaust, it can't handle the volume resulting in the dreaded rasp!
Gary

Old 04-03-2013 | 11:11 AM
|
Oh.. So it's not just a single part that'll bring rasp.. Correct me if I'm wrong, please! (I'm just so new to this)

I have a lot of air coming through my system, when the volume of the air coming in is too much for the whole exhaust system meaning, headers, hfc y pipe mid cat back, I will have rasp.

When I change each bolt on, increasing the volume of air I can take, It'll eliminate rasp because I have enough room for the air to plow through?

So since my tanabe's diameter of pipes are larger of that than the OEM's, if I add in an ART pipe, or the FI HFC you are speaking of, I am not to notice rasp? or very slightly*??

Old 04-03-2013 | 11:50 AM
Xet
Check the ART pipes thread, people mostly said there was no rasp with them.

Old 04-03-2013 | 12:03 PM
|
I have been searching ART pipes and I cant seem to find a thread on it. Is it stickied?? or do I have to browse a couple more pages?

Old 04-03-2013 | 12:36 PM
Gary
Gary,Do you have the resonated version,or non resonated?

Old 04-03-2013 | 12:43 PM
Rasp is created buy putting to much exhaust volume in a system that doesn't flow well. If you have a high flow system you won't have rasp with HFCs! Mistakes are made by adding ART pipes or HFCs to the OE exhaust, it can't handle the volume resulting in the dreaded rasp!
Gary
I agree, But there are still gains from running HFC's on OE exhaust..Not to mention a slight weight savings...Was leaning towards Berks, But you and other people keep recommending FI..I do not want a resonated version due to reducing flow and cost...Slight rasp isn't a big deal

Old 04-03-2013 | 01:31 PM
Xet
Originally Posted by sbaik610
I have been searching ART pipes and I cant seem to find a thread on it. Is it stickied?? or do I have to browse a couple more pages?
https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...art-pipes.html

It's the top sticky in the intake/exhaust forum...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help me and my pipe