G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Coupe Random Little Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Need some help. I got my UpRev cable the other day...I'm an '03 so I have to do the CAN re-wire to relocate pin 3 to pin 14. I'm having issues getting the 3 pin to release from the clip. Using a paperclip to bend the plastic piece back but I can only get the pin to wiggle, slide back a little bit but not come fully out. Anyone done this before or know a trick to get this b**** out?

This little pin is the only thing standing between me and a tune so as you can imagine I'm fuming mad right now. I figured I'd step a way for a little to cool off before I do some serious damage. The red wire coating is already starting to strip a little from pulling with needle nose pliers.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by G_zus
Need some help. I got my UpRev cable the other day...I'm an '03 so I have to do the CAN re-wire to relocate pin 3 to pin 14. I'm having issues getting the 3 pin to release from the clip. Using a paperclip to bend the plastic piece back but I can only get the pin to wiggle, slide back a little bit but not come fully out. Anyone done this before or know a trick to get this b**** out?

This little pin is the only thing standing between me and a tune so as you can imagine I'm fuming mad right now. I figured I'd step a way for a little to cool off before I do some serious damage. The red wire coating is already starting to strip a little from pulling with needle nose pliers.
Never mind guys. The problem was I didn't pop open the clasps on each side. Thanks to seymore4 for holding my hand through this whole process lol. I'll post more once we tune

Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
So a 20x11 +30 is only 1.5mm more outwards than a ×10.5 +25? Let's add .5"/2=6.5mm minus the 5 we lose in offset, 1.5mm more right? On the backside i get 5 from offset plus 6.5mm (+.25") =11mm more on the inside. Can a 20x11 +30 fit on the rear of a coupe?

Old 06-17-2014, 10:48 PM
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
I picked up a black coupe trunk today to replace my red dented one. I want to prep it before I take it to get paint quotes at shops. I finished taking all the 3M tape left behind from the rear spoiler and also removed the skyline emblems (I'll be putting the emblems up on the Marketplace). What's the process and materials needed to prep the trunk for paint? Is it possible to do it by hand or will tools be needed? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Coupe Random Little Question Thread-20140617_205452.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 11:12 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Juang20
I picked up a black coupe trunk today to replace my red dented one. I want to prep it before I take it to get paint quotes at shops. I finished taking all the 3M tape left behind from the rear spoiler and also removed the skyline emblems (I'll be putting the emblems up on the Marketplace). What's the process and materials needed to prep the trunk for paint? Is it possible to do it by hand or will tools be needed? Thanks
Let the paint shop prep it. Most don't like dealing with "customer" prepped anything, mainly because they'll have to redo it anyway.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by LoSt180
Let the paint shop prep it. Most don't like dealing with "customer" prepped anything, mainly because they'll have to redo it anyway.
That's good to know. Last thing I need is to be charged for them to fix something I did thinking it would've saved me money in the first place. I guess I'll get a couple of quotes with prep and paint. One more question for future reference, I was reading up on sandblasting. Would sandblasting the trunk provide a perfect surface ready for paint or will shops still need to prep it after getting it blasted?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
That's good to know. Last thing I need is to be charged for them to fix something I did thinking it would've saved me money in the first place. I guess I'll get a couple of quotes with prep and paint. One more question for future reference, I was reading up on sandblasting. Would sandblasting the trunk provide a perfect surface ready for paint or will shops still need to prep it after getting it blasted?
Unless the trunk has been repainted several times, there's no reason to strip the old paint off. If the paint is in good shape, no/few deep scratches, then all they really need to do is sand and spray. Sandblasting is good for rusty old frames, but it leaves a bunch of little pits, so the metal would have to be primed and blocked to get smooth again.

The following users liked this post:
JG_G35 (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by LoSt180
Unless the trunk has been repainted several times, there's no reason to strip the old paint off. If the paint is in good shape, no/few deep scratches, all they really need to do is sand and spray. Sandblasting is good for rusty old frames, but it leaves a bunch of little pits, so the metal would have to be primed and blocked to get smooth again.
Now that you mention it, there seems to be another layer of paint. It looks like they spray painted it black and now the paints chipping off and i can see the stock black color underneath. Yeah I'd rather let a shop get it perfect rather than mess it up myself. Thanks LoSt180 appreciate your help.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the emblems.

I have another question myself. I swapped my OEM wingless trunk for one with a wing. I cant seem to get my 3rd brake light on the trunk to work, is there something special that needs to happen? I used the standard harness, and there was an extra port for the wing's light, but it's still not working for me. I would rather not rewire anything or splice if I don't have to. Currently, the high brake light is working still, so I don't have an issue, but I would much rather have the Spoiler's brake light work, and the high brake light disabled.

Last edited by SD350GT; 06-23-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 g35 coupe with navi

how can I tweak my stock navi screen so it shows as gauges or others stuff?

Old 06-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Seems like everyone wraps interior pieces with vinyl, but has anyone done leather? I'm trying to find wheat colored sheets.

And curious if anyone has tried this product before: http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Delu...Kit-p/dlrk.htm

Old 06-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Hey guys,

How much brighter are the stock high beams supposed to be compared to the low beams? I can barely tell a difference when I turn my high beams on. I'm thinking I need to replace the bulbs on them.

2004 Coupe with reflectors, btw.

Last edited by patH; 06-30-2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Missing info
Old 06-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mmmm you should be able to tell the difference. Have you hanged the bulbs before?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by e_nigma
Mmmm you should be able to tell the difference. Have you hanged the bulbs before?
No, I haven't. Bought the car at 65k, it's at 78k now. I don't know if the previous owner had ever touched them.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mmm maybe the previous owner did if it's always been like that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Coupe Random Little Question Thread