G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Just had some service done at Infiniti... Opinion please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had some service done at Infiniti... Opinion please!

Hey fellas. I had a passenger airbag harness recall on my car, so I took it in and had them replace it. They also took the liberty of doing their million point inspection to try to sell me some services. Before we get there, let me state this.

I have some cracks in my dashboard and have been looking to get it fixed and/or replaced. All the companies like Dr. Vinyl and Fibrenew won't touch it because the crack overlays the passenger airbag. So that is left to replacing it. So I have a guy that will rewrap it and make it look factory for $850, or I can get boned at Infiniti for $1,200 for the dash and $400 for the install.

This was before I went to the dealer.

So after I picked my car up we went over the inspection, and the only part that failed was a parking light. The rest was cautionary, but was every single fluid in my car (car has 57,000 miles) so coming up on 60K service.

I'm attaching a picture, but basically to replace the light, windshield wipers, door hinge, and all the services for $1,225.

Yea I know I'm getting boned on that stuff, BUT....the dealer said they would replace my cracked dash for free if I authorize those services.

Should I? Also, what should I expect to pay for these services down the road on average? Thanks.

Last edited by ErikTaylor; 05-15-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
This depends on a lot of factors and it looks like those are "by the book" prices so they are not really gouging you on them although I find most of the service book times are a little inflated to begin with. What I would do would be to take that quote, head over to my regular mechanic and get his price on it. Then you have a contrast point. It may be worth it to go to the dealer even if they come in a little higher than your mechanic if it means fixing the dash crack.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 237 Likes on 148 Posts
so they are offering you the dash pad installed free? or still have to pay for it?
I looked up all the possible 06 G35 dash pads, couldn't find one that was list over $1035
g35 driver price 830

Old 05-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
I had a parking light (city light) that was burned out a few weeks ago.... dealer replaced it for $5 and no labor charge. LOL

Old 05-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
How does the dash crack? I am stumped on that. IMO if their not doing the dash for free at all. 1,100 for fluids and dash? I would personally to it myself but if you're not hands on I would suggest you buy the dash from Phil and take your G to a trusted local shop to do the work as I am sure you would save A LOT.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Phil@GRUBBS
so they are offering you the dash pad installed free? or still have to pay for it?
I looked up all the possible 06 G35 dash pads, couldn't find one that was list over $1035
g35 driver price 830
Phil,

Yes that is correct. They are saying the dash cost $1,200 and change and then another $400 for install. They are saying if I authorize those "rapings" that they will install the dash for free, so the total charged will be $1,222, or whatever the invoice says.

What would be the labor cost of putting it in? At $830 which is the best deal I've seen for a factory dash, I'd imagine would be a few hundred bucks to install, then to top all the fluid changes, etc.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by ohfive
How does the dash crack? I am stumped on that. IMO if their not doing the dash for free at all. 1,100 for fluids and dash? I would personally to it myself but if you're not hands on I would suggest you buy the dash from Phil and take your G to a trusted local shop to do the work as I am sure you would save A LOT.
IDK. Apparently it's a common problem from what I've read. From what I've researched it's from UV and heat, and I just tinted the windshield since acquiring the car, so hopefully that won't be an issue again with the new dash. The previous owner probably used Armor-All too, but no way of telling.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Kerry Garrison
This depends on a lot of factors and it looks like those are "by the book" prices so they are not really gouging you on them although I find most of the service book times are a little inflated to begin with. What I would do would be to take that quote, head over to my regular mechanic and get his price on it. Then you have a contrast point. It may be worth it to go to the dealer even if they come in a little higher than your mechanic if it means fixing the dash crack.
That's what I'm thinking. From the research I've done their prices average (+/- $10) $30 more than a regular mechanic. So I figure I spend a few hundred extra for the Infiniti "experience" and get my dash fixed for free.

Not to mention if I had it wrapped I'd be out a car for 4-5 days. At least if I go to Infiniti I would have a loaner for that duration.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:56 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by ErikTaylor
Phil,

Yes that is correct. They are saying the dash cost $1,200 and change and then another $400 for install. They are saying if I authorize those "rapings" that they will install the dash for free, so the total charged will be $1,222, or whatever the invoice says.

What would be the labor cost of putting it in? At $830 which is the best deal I've seen for a factory dash, I'd imagine would be a few hundred bucks to install, then to top all the fluid changes, etc.
yea, if they are providing the dash and install for free, then it's a great deal,
if you still have to pay for the dash, and just install free, it's still ok, but money either way,
the problem is I am in Texas, so shipping would make it probably back to the 1000 range due to the size and stuff.... I am checking with an advisor to see what we charge to put a dash in also
~phil~

Old 05-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Phil,

Thank you for the info. Yes, my service adviser told me that if I paid for the services listed, then they would put in the dash at no charge to me. I don't think I could sub out a dash, pay someone to install it, sub out the fluid changes (which will need to be done anyways) and still be cheaper.

Since you posted here, I know who to order OEM parts from for now on!

Old 05-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I order a lot from Phil. Couldn't be happier!lol that being said Phil I need those prices for the arm rest consolel and the lower control arms ...

Op if it makes you feel any better then do it. I would look at it as paying for a new dash with install and getting free fluids changed.
Gl and I hope my dash never cracks.

Last edited by ohfive; 05-15-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:42 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by ohfive
I order a lot from Phil. Couldn't be happier!lol that being said Phil I need those prices for the arm rest consolel and the lower control arms ...

Op if it makes you feel any better then do it. I would look at it as paying for a new dash with install and getting free fluids changed.
Gl and I hope my dash never cracks.
Sent e-mail bro
~Phil~

Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
I would rather remove my dash with a chainsaw and superglue it back on, than pay the dealer $1200+. Most likely the dealer will happen to find another "problem" while installing it, and tell you it'll cost another $1,000,000 to fix.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's called DIY for fluid changes or go to Nissan for fluid changes its actually cheaper

Old 05-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those prices are crazy. $60 to change wipers? You have to be kidding me. And of course they are going to say every single one of your fluids needs changed. This is the biggest joke anywhere you go. You should be able to do all this yourself.

As far as your dash goes, I would keep looking at junk yard and find a G that was totalled and see. If you don't want to go any of this work, then hey pay the cash and get everything done! Theres a reason why they are charging that much and now ''offering'' to do the dash for free.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just had some service done at Infiniti... Opinion please!