G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Test drove 2005 SLK 350 not impressed with speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually just sold my 03' G35 Coupe (AUTO) and picked up the SLK 350 with the 7-speed (AUTO). I got it with the comfort package, premium package, lighting package and a few other things. I didn't opt for the navigation or the premium sound, but the cost came up to 52K. I got to admit the G35 was alot of fun to drive and is probably more fun to toss around. I don't know but it feels like the G35 was lighter? The one thing the SLK has on the G35 is the 7-speed (AUTO). That thing is amazing! When you slow down you can feel the gears shifting lower w/o doing anything, it's actually like your shifting the gears yourself. Pick up is also great. Power wise I believe the SLK 350 feels torquier than the G35, even though the numbers don't say it. Maybe because its lighter? Since it's brand new I haven't actually pushed it, but from what I've seen I'm pretty impressed. I totally miss the G35's instrument panel though. The Mercedes gauges are hard as shiet to read. The clock is placed right on the speedometer gauge underneath it! Otherwise the car handles like a dream is much stiffer than the G35. You feel barely no roll at all. All in all, both cars are very enjoyable to drive and I really can't say which one is better than the other, but the one thing the SLK had the G didn't was the convertible and thats what took it for me.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I test drove a non-AMG SLK350 a couple months back, and it is a nice car. For about 10 picoseconds I considered getting it on a lease instead of buying a G (the American Way - lease something you can't afford!), but that passed the instant I pulled out of the MB dealership. The SLK is a tiny car - much more cramped inside than the G. I'm only 5'10", but with the top down the wind hit me right at the hairline, which was uncomfortable (and messy b/c of my girlfriend's long hair). It felt decently powerful, and the 7 speed auto is fine. The car is slightly flingable, it felt good. I didn't drive it back to back with a G, so I can't compare the dynamics.

In my opinion, the SLK is a beautiful car - the proportions (it is short and low) make it look menacing, and it's a real attention getter. I dropped the top while waiting at a light and you can see all the passengers in nearby cars stop and gape (many even pointed). Too bad that it is WAY overpriced. Sure, it's got the MB name, but $46K for a car with MANUAL seat control, NO CD changer, no nav, etc. is ridiculous. Still, they'll sell em all - the power of good styling!