G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Emissions Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 02:40 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Not a fan of state and federal laws or those enforcing them any more!

Originally Posted by SD350GT
I know what you're saying. We are saying the same thing. Smog is two-fold; First is the Visual inspection, where they look and see if you have the proper equipment, and if it is C.A.R.B. legal. (This is where the stickers could cause a fail). The Second is, the actual emissions test, where they throw the sniffer in your exhaust. (This is where running alcohol and coming in hot will make the difference).
Yes, the lack of stickers and they need to be under your hood where the tech can see them. I failed the last time because the stickers weren't where they could be seen. After showing the CARB sticker to the tech a second time he had to redo the test...he was pissed! Not that I gave a rats azz since I showed him where they were...Gary

Old 07-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
I don't understand the CAI thing. I mean, as long as you have a MAF sensor plugged in and you pass the sniff, what's the deal? That's air going in, not coming out. Nothing to do with smog (other than the MAF).
Yes, and no. Some exhausts have wider piping, and allow more air flow. And, since it is cold air, the air is much denser, thus allowing better combustion. All of this can play a role in emitting more emissions. The MAF sensor just monitors the intake, it doesn't effect flow.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Yes, and no. Some exhausts have wider piping, and allow more air flow. And, since it is cold air, the air is much denser, thus allowing better combustion. All of this can play a role in emitting more emissions. The MAF sensor just monitors the intake, it doesn't effect flow.
Well, yeah, but it relays that info to other areas. And either way, the CAI can't deliver air that's THAT much cooler than ambient temp, so I'd be willing to bet it has very little affect. Especially on metal units. CAI companies have a lot of money in marketing.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Well, yeah, but it relays that info to other areas. And either way, the CAI can't deliver air that's THAT much cooler than ambient temp, so I'd be willing to bet it has very little affect. Especially on metal units. CAI companies have a lot of money in marketing.
True, it is alot of marketing. But, I do feel that the outside air temp, at moving speeds will ALWAYS be significantly lower than the engine bay's ambient temp at operating temp. By significant, I mean over 50 degrees difference.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:21 PM
True, it is alot of marketing. But, I do feel that the outside air temp, at moving speeds will ALWAYS be significantly lower than the engine bay's ambient temp at operating temp. By significant, I mean over 50 degrees difference.
I think we'd need some unbiased tests to prove that, cuz there's a relatively small amount of direct air hitting that filter, compared to the turbulent mix of hot and cool air sitting under the hood. Unless you have one of those long ones that dips under the bumper, or directly in front of a very open grill, but then you have excessive-tube issues.

I wouldn't say 50 degrees tho. Riding a motorcycle at 60mph is significantly colder than ambient temp, but not 50 degrees. Maybe 20, but that's direct 60mph air.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:29 PM
I think we'd need some unbiased tests to prove that, cuz there's a relatively small amount of direct air hitting that filter, compared to the turbulent mix of hot and cool air sitting under the hood. Unless you have one of those long ones that dips under the bumper, or directly in front of a very open grill, but then you have excessive-tube issues.
I actually do have the one that sits by the wheel/ under the bumper (Injen CAI). This is a TRUE CAI. It's not about the direct flow going into the filter, because the ambient air is the average air temp in the bay. The average operating temp ranges upwards of 150° f. Our vehicles are known to have unordinarily high engine bay temps. Also, unless there is multiple bends, you don't have excessive-tube issues.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:45 PM
I actually do have the one that sits by the wheel/ under the bumper (Injen CAI). This is a TRUE CAI. It's not about the direct flow going into the filter, because the ambient air is the average air temp in the bay. The average operating temp ranges upwards of 150° f. Our vehicles are known to have unordinarily high engine bay temps. Also, unless there is multiple bends, you don't have excessive-tube issues.
Well, back to what I was saying about emissions and CAIs, I still don't think it would create a measureable difference in any of the 3 measurements. I have a K&N panel filter with z-tube, and have incredibly low smog numbers. Does your CAI have a carb sticker? Let me Borrow it and see if the numbers change. Haha

Old 07-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Well, back to what I was saying about emissions and CAIs, I still don't think it would create a measureable difference in any of the 3 measurements. I have a K&N panel filter with z-tube, and have incredibly low smog numbers. Does your CAI have a carb sticker? Let me Borrow it and see if the numbers change. Haha
No CARB Sticker, but it does have the E.O. Number, all they have to do is verify the E.O. number. Some places like to say that they can't without the CARB sticker, which is B.S. They also have the option of verifying through the vendor. But, in any case, if you want, we can swap out anytime. The dyno is where it is proven to get gains; and if it gets gains, there is obviously some difference in performance/air flow than stock.