G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New G35 with maintenance questions

  #1  
Old 06-23-2015, 05:59 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New G35 with maintenance questions

I recently purchased an '06 G35 with 100k km (60 k miles) and am doing some maintenance to get everything up to date.

I'm changing out the rear pads and rotors but I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the caliper bracket mount bolts off. The caliber slider pins came off quite easy but the caliper bracket bolts won't budge even after using some penetrating oil and letting it sit overnight. I'm thinking they could be seized as the rotors are possibly original and have never been taken off. Any tips on how to get the bolts out? I don't want to round the bolts off and end up having to cut them off.

I'm going to change the transmission fluid (auto) and was wondering about the specified oil to use. I have some Valvoline Dex Merc which says it can be used in Nissan/Infiniti where J-Matic is specified but I've read elsewhere that only Nissan/Infiniti ATF should be used. Is is okay to use the Valvoline? Also since there is no filter to change I guess the best approach would be to drain/fill x 3 to try and get most of the fluid out?

I only got one key with the car (intelligent key) and was wondering how to go about getting a new one made. The dealer wants $350 for a replacement key. Can I buy a used intelligent remote on eBay and have it programmed by the dealer? Is the transponder chip in the mechanical key or the actual remote key itself?
 
  #2  
Old 06-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Urbanengineer's Avatar
Super Moderator
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: OH-IO
Posts: 9,906
Received 794 Likes on 746 Posts
The correct oil for the transmission is cheap, replacing a transmission is not.
 
  #3  
Old 06-23-2015, 10:29 PM
coffeysm's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,305
Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
Pull out the slide pins and hang the caliper with a piece of rope or bungee cord. Take a propane torch and heat the bolts up for a few minutes. Then use a 1/2 bar to take the bolts off.

That's how I got both of mine off since they were on real tight. I used penetrating oil also a lot of it.

You don't want to use heat around the brake hoses if it absorbs enough heat the fluid will explode.

I'd go with the Nissan fluid or Idemitsu Type J. I put Idemitsu in when I did mine and haven't had a problem since. You might find some deals on eBay.

You can get a blank key off eBay; I've done it before without problems. If you separate the key from the fob there is a number in there. You need to find the same number on eBay and then bring it to the dealer. Just make sure it has an Infiniti icon; I've read of some people getting denied by the dealer if it doesn't. Otherwise you'd need to find a locksmith to do it for you.
 
  #4  
Old 06-24-2015, 01:40 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeysm View Post
Pull out the slide pins and hang the caliper with a piece of rope or bungee cord. Take a propane torch and heat the bolts up for a few minutes. Then use a 1/2 bar to take the bolts off.

That's how I got both of mine off since they were on real tight. I used penetrating oil also a lot of it.

You don't want to use heat around the brake hoses if it absorbs enough heat the fluid will explode.

I'd go with the Nissan fluid or Idemitsu Type J. I put Idemitsu in when I did mine and haven't had a problem since. You might find some deals on eBay.

You can get a blank key off eBay; I've done it before without problems. If you separate the key from the fob there is a number in there. You need to find the same number on eBay and then bring it to the dealer. Just make sure it has an Infiniti icon; I've read of some people getting denied by the dealer if it doesn't. Otherwise you'd need to find a locksmith to do it for you.
Thanks for the info. I was able to break the bolts out by tapping the wrench with a hammer. I'll stick with the Nissan fluid. How many quarts does it take during a drain and refill?
 
  #5  
Old 06-24-2015, 02:39 AM
coffeysm's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,305
Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by mbe32 View Post
Thanks for the info. I was able to break the bolts out by tapping the wrench with a hammer. I'll stick with the Nissan fluid. How many quarts does it take during a drain and refill?
I don't remember exactly, but I think it was between 2-3 maybe 4 quarts (depending how high, angle, etc.. you jack it up). I bought one of those juice jugs for a dollar at Rite-Aid. Drained into a pan then filled the jug up to see how many came out.

Do it while it's cold or wait for the fluid to cool off when you replace it. It expands when it's hot.
 
  #6  
Old 06-24-2015, 09:33 AM
gary c's Avatar
SLICK
iTrader: (10)
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 19,381
Received 1,099 Likes on 979 Posts
All very good advice ^ use only Nissan AT fluid in your transmission. Don't forget about the other fluids that need replacing at 60K miles, brake and radiator! I'd also replace the belts and cabin filter too...Gary
 
  #7  
Old 06-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 508
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
All very good advice ^ use only Nissan AT fluid in your transmission. Don't forget about the other fluids that need replacing at 60K miles, brake and radiator! I'd also replace the belts and cabin filter too...Gary
I'd also add spark plugs to that list. It says it lasts for as long as 100K (miles). But I would not recommend this at all, especially since the car is already almost 10 years old
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
netcbc
Exterior - Body Parts CDN
2
08-21-2015 09:50 AM
Frostbite91
New Members Check In
8
07-27-2015 05:25 AM
laksjd84
Exterior - Body Parts
1
07-24-2015 05:12 PM
korfak
G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07
11
07-20-2015 12:10 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New G35 with maintenance questions


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: